Bob Dylan- The Cutting Edge

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Wow Bob Dylan fans. If you don't own this new box set, stop what your doing immediately and order it! It's absolutely exceptional. Sonic's are also stellar. It's in my opinion the finest bootleg series compilation yet. And it's from the period of 1965-1966 where he was transitioning from the acoustic folk style, to pop with other musicians in the band. Some of the true gems are the raw acoustic versions of the final cuts made with the full band. Many of the songs we have known and loved all these years were actually butchered in the end. Now we can finally hear them pouring directly from his soul. Just Bob, his acoustic guitar and harmonica, direct from unmolested master tape!!

My only complaint is they should offer DSD 256 versions made with Merging Pyramix/Horus/Hapi. But I suppose that would just be too good to be true.

View attachment 23692

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Which version are you recommending?;) 18 CD (which comes with a code for 24/96 downloads), 6 CD or 6 "disc" 24/96, or 2CD or 2 "disc" 24/96, or LP's (I'm not sure what its download code includes)?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Which version are you recommending?;) 18 CD (which comes with a code for 24/96 downloads), 6 CD or 6 "disc" 24/96, or 2CD or 2 "disc" 24/96, or LP's (I'm not sure what its download code includes)?

I just got the 6 disk (111 song) "Deluxe" edition 24/96 PCM. But I can imagine the 18 disk is even better!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Oh my. I'll have one of these sets, as I have all the rest of the bootleg series, hell, I even have a vinyl copy of The Great White Wonder I can't play. And I'm sure, or at least I hope I'll agree, that the acoustic demos are wonderful. But Blizzard, you'll never hear me agree that the Columbia recordings released from the 65-66 sessions were "butchered."

Tim

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Is it sacrilege to say this is the only Dylan album i really want to (and am happy to) own?

Dylan Set.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Oh my. I'll have one of these sets, as I have all the rest of the bootleg series, hell, I even have a vinyl copy of The Great White Wonder I can't play. And I'm sure, or at least I hope I'll agree, that the acoustic demos are wonderful. But Blizzard, you'll never hear me agree that the Columbia recordings released from the 65-66 sessions were "butchered."

Tim

Well perhaps butchered was the wrong term. But some songs can convey the intended message better when they are raw and acoustic, without distraction from the rest of the instruments. What appeals most to the masses and the radio stations, may not be the original style or message that was intended.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yes it is :)

Well, on this much, we agree. :) On the other point, I get what you're saying. There are records I'd love to have stripped down versions of. Those Dylan recordings aren't on the list, but that doesn't mean that the stripped don versions won't be great. I think I'll order this before I go to bed tonight. :)

Tim

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Although I have both the 6 CD and the 24/96, 18 disc versions. I would say the 6 CD version is the way to go.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Wow Bob Dylan fans. If you don't own this new box set, stop what your doing immediately and order it! It's absolutely exceptional. Sonic's are also stellar. It's in my opinion the finest bootleg series compilation yet. And it's from the period of 1965-1966 where he was transitioning from the acoustic folk style, to pop with other musicians in the band. Some of the true gems are the raw acoustic versions of the final cuts made with the full band. Many of the songs we have known and loved all these years were actually butchered in the end. Now we can finally hear them pouring directly from his soul. Just Bob, his acoustic guitar and harmonica, direct from unmolested master tape!!

My only complaint is they should offer DSD 256 versions made with Merging Pyramix/Horus/Hapi. But I suppose that would just be too good to be true.

View attachment 23692

Blizz, at one point, you will come to the understanding that with respect to classic archival catalogs, DSD, and of course, DSD256 is a unicorn format. They will
NEVER be used, period. Dylan is a Sony artists, who own the technology. I figured you would get it by now..you know, get the hint.;)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
One problem I have is that I would have preferred a 3 or 4 "disc" selection made from the 18 discer. IMHO the 6 discer has too much stuff only for the rabid fan but is missing some key versions that a more casual fan like me would still like. And the main feeling I'm left with with is that Dylan and his producers made the right choices the first time around, given the time limitations of LP's and the musical/political/societal era in which they were made.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
One problem I have is that I would have preferred a 3 or 4 "disc" selection made from the 18 discer. IMHO the 6 discer has too much stuff only for the rabid fan but is missing some key versions that a more casual fan like me would still like. And the main feeling I'm left with with is that Dylan and his producers made the right choices the first time around, given the time limitations of LP's and the musical/political/societal era in which they were made.

I won't BS..the 18 disc is a bit of a gouge..and even Fremer, a Dlyan uber fanatic, says it is for the completest who is beyond a completest.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizz, at one point, you will come to the understanding that with respect to classic archival catalogs, DSD, and of course, DSD256 is a unicorn format. They will
NEVER be used, period. Dylan is a Sony artists, who own the technology. I figured you would get it by now..you know, get the hint.;)

Give it some time. When multibit DSD editing is mainstream, and all of the ADC/DAC's on the market are capable, things will change. Then they will sell us everything all over again. For now they just want to use the formats that will attract the most sales.

oceancall

Jun 2, 2013
The important of this deluxe edition in hear how Dylan work each piece, only after hear this 111 songs you can understand this period of Dylan.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing