Do our systems influence the types of music we listen to?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Or put another way, do we build our systems to play the types of music we prefer? MadFloyd and I have a friend who recently wrote us asking this question. A few days later I read a review in the latest Stereophile written by John Atkinson about the YG Carmel 2. In the conclusion, he writes, "To a greater or smaller extent, all speakers editorialize. One reason Stereophile's writers list the recordings they use to reach their review conclusions is that the sonic character of the product being tested dictates what music is played...."

The other day, one of my daughter's friends played her violin for me in our living room, right next to my stereo. She played at 60-75dB and later when I played some solo violin on my system, I was pleasantly surprised by just how similar the sense of dynamics and timbre were to what I had heard from that real violin.

My system strengths lend themselves to particular types of music - smaller scale, acoustic instruments and vocals. I find I prefer these types of music and that they are what I listen to most on my system.

I have heard other very good systems, quite different from mine, and, interestingly, their owners tend to listen to different kinds of music which sound good on their systems. Is this just coincidental, or do our systems influence the types of music we tend to listen to?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think some do, especially if they are primarily into a specific genre like Jazz and/or Classical.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Not for me. I purchase and play music I enjoy not because certain releases "might" sound good on my system.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not for me. I purchase and play music I enjoy not because certain releases "might" sound good on my system.
I do likewise. I've heard far too many "audiophile" recordings that bore me to tears.

theophile

Ther's a certain amount of truth in that assertion though like all things subjective it can't be a universal explanation.

I will say for myself that as my system has improved, the gulf between the good recordings and the great(my judgement of this on my system*) has widened. This doesn't mean that I won't play the music that I always used to play, it simply means that my mental paradigm of what comprises a 'great recording' excludes a few that I previously would put in that category. I feel that those recordings that I've changed my mind about, not in a musical sense but in an absolute sense as great recordings, sound to me not only less sonically impressive but somewhat contrived as recordings. I still love the music but as a system test per se, they are less so 'go-to' recordings.

That's the difference to me.

It really takes a superlative recording to fully appreciate the improvements in the system. That's all. Not that I don't like my music because it isn't recorded perfectly. Just that the ones relegated to a lower rank sonically are exposed as not having quite soared as high as exposers of system quality.

* Mostly Classical I feel due to simpler miking arrangements, single takes and less processing of the sound during and after the recording process.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Or put another way, do we build our systems to play the types of music we prefer? MadFloyd and I have a friend who recently wrote us asking this question. A few days later I read a review in the latest Stereophile written by John Atkinson about the YG Carmel 2. In the conclusion, he writes, "To a greater or smaller extent, all speakers editorialize. One reason Stereophile's writers list the recordings they use to reach their review conclusions is that the sonic character of the product being tested dictates what music is played...."

The other day, one of my daughter's friends played her violin for me in our living room, right next to my stereo. She played at 60-75dB and later when I played some solo violin on my system, I was pleasantly surprised by just how similar the sense of dynamics and timbre were to what I had heard from that real violin.

My system strengths lend themselves to particular types of music - smaller scale, acoustic instruments and vocals. I find I prefer these types of music and that they are what I listen to most on my system.

I have heard other very good systems, quite different from mine, and, interestingly, their owners tend to listen to different kinds of music which sound good on their systems. Is this just coincidental, or do our systems influence the types of music we tend to listen to?

In my case it is second option - I recognize I optimize my system for the type of music I enjoy. My system is not specialized in solo drum recordings, although some friends are astonished with the richness and air it can get in cymbals and snare drums - perhaps a consequence of my appreciation of ancient music.

As I often change systems I recognize however there is some truth in John Atkinson argument - when picking a recording our imagination unconsciously looks fro recordings that shine in the current speakers - I am never tempted to listen to Shostakovitch or Mahler with mini-monitors or low power amplifiers. Quad electrostatics mean it is time to fill my table with Harmonia Mundi recordings!

PS Magico Mini II's are not mini monitors - they are big speakers disguised of mini monitors! :cool:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
My system does not seem tuned to any one genre and I have very catholic taste in music .. from dubstep to classical.
I listen at quite loud lifelike levels and do like deep bass

I will admit , I tend to dump really poorly recorded stuff off my playlist regardless of musical performance, as I feel life is too short to listen to what will irritate or bother me .. so much music that does sound good on my system out there to explore..

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

The thing is your system is as universal as they get: I don't know how your room is setup but based on equipment alone .. This system will play anything thrown at it: big scale, medium scale , humongous scale .. No problem.. If well recorded it will sound good on your system and similar systems...

There is some truth to the OP if a system is gear toward small scale then when presented with large scale it could be at a disadvantage... OTOH the better big systems tend to be chameleons they simply reproduce whatever is thrown at them... It is an audiophile myth and one that endures that big systems are not at ease reproducing small scale... I have heard small scale exceedingly well reproduced from big systems ranging from Magnepan (Yes! Magnepan!) to Genesis 1.2 ... and of course anyone who has heard Steve Williams system with the big X-2 can attest to how well they do small scale and please let us not add the "for their size" modifier. They simply become as small as required when reproducing small music.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
For me it is not about "audiophile" pressings or quality of the recording as much as it is about type of music. I like smaller scale acoustic music more than large scale orchestra, rock, and most amplified types. Solo piano, cello, string quartets, Jazz trios, etc. That is just me, and I often wonder if it is because of the system I have, or if the system I have followed the music I like, or perhaps it is neither, and just a coincidence.

I heard a large Wilson based system which had an incredible "wall of sound" quality to it. The owner used to follow around and record the Grateful Dead. His system excelled at, and perhaps is the best example that I have heard, reproducing large scale amplified music.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
PS Magico Mini II's are not mini monitors - they are big speakers disguised of mini monitors! :cool:

Very funny comment, microstrip. I do find that they sound best with massive SS Class A amps, just like there much evolved descendants, the Magico M Projects. Seriously, I don't feel the need the subwoofers with these like I have with most typical mini monitors. It the right room, they do sound almost full range and certainly big.

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
My system does not seem tuned to any one genre and I have very catholic taste in music .. from dubstep to classical.
I listen at quite loud lifelike levels and do like deep bass

I will admit , I tend to dump really poorly recorded stuff off my playlist regardless of musical performance, as I feel life is too short to listen to what will irritate or bother me .. so much music that does sound good on my system out there to explore..

I second that.

And will add that a good system should be able to play it all.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Or put another way, do we build our systems to play the types of music we prefer?
I do not think these are at all equivalent. My music preferences are deeply ingrained and, nearly, immutable. I buy/build my systems to optimize my enjoyment of this music and care quite little how they render music I care even less about. There is no chance that I would pursue changing my system to improve the sound with other types of music.

So, no, my systems do not influence the types of music I listen to.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Isn't that the tail wagging the dog. If the system can't play what I like it's goodbye to the system. That said I have never owned a system that couldn't play it all.

Rob:)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

I had a musical preference long before I understood anything about systems. Up to a certain age you listened to what your parents had in the house and later as a teenager bought what one could afford and/or the stuff that other clueless like yourself bragged about. Remember Akai, Sansui, Sony, Technics, Pioneer receivers that were all the rage? Cassette & 8 Track? None of that 70's crap technology stopped us from enjoying what we liked. My musical tastes changed, evolved? with age and era, though I must say that I'm less tolerant of poor sound now than when I was younger, live and reproduced. Today, the influence of the system isn't on the type of music but wether I can listen at all or not. On a bad electricity day everything is bothersome an unlistenable, even the car radio!

david

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I think that we do build systems so they are not limited in the type of music they can fully express. and therefore depending on the way you interpret the OP if a system can do large scale music with ease and full authority you are more likely to go there more often. OTOH just because a system can do full justice to large scale music does not automatically mean it gets intimacy all the way there. and that attribute more or less can also work the same way. or maybe does a system match a personal reference in the way it does piano or horns, or drum kits? or grunge guitars?

I know my own experience was in my old home and room it excelled at intimacy and so I took that for granted in my new purpose built room. I was wrong and finding that same or higher degree of intimacy took years. I had wanted to be able to add large scale capability to the wonderful intimacy of my previous room and that drove me to the larger acoustically designed room. I can't say that my musical selections were much affected by this issue consciously; but no doubt on some levels it did. and as I've worked out these issues I do find myself really getting into small scale classical such as solo instruments and string quartets as a large percentage of my listening.

this last year as I've fine tuned the room I find myself seeking more vocals as they speak to me in a new way.

our musical path does get affected by what new thing our systems might take to another level. even maybe a format sitting dormant in your system and then hardware advance opens the door to go and re-visit all that music.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
If something sounds amazing on my system and I like it, I tend to explore the artist or sub genre etc more than just for the musical content..
EG My system does stunning bass and scale , so recently been delving into electronica and loving it .. finding new artists and performances as I go along ..

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I had a musical preference long before I understood anything about systems. Up to a certain age you listened to what your parents had in the house and later as a teenager bought what one could afford and/or the stuff that other clueless like yourself bragged about. Remember Akai, Sansui, Sony, Technics, Pioneer receivers that were all the rage? Cassette & 8 Track? None of that 70's crap technology stopped us from enjoying what we liked. My musical tastes changed, evolved? with age and era, though I must say that I'm less tolerant of poor sound now than when I was younger, live and reproduced. Today, the influence of the system isn't on the type of music but wether I can listen at all or not. On a bad electricity day everything is bothersome an unlistenable, even the car radio!

david
Maybe you need to change hobbies?

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I think that it is the other way around. The music you listen to should reflect the equipment you audition and buy, unless you started with an inherited system and a blank slate for musical tastes. Also I found that as my musical tastes evolved over the last 35 years my hardware preferences have also.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing