Simple DAC mods that will make your DAC sound like it cost twice as much.

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
Your case is completely different from 99.99999% of all uses. You cannot talk about other uses....only yours. The usual op amp on the output of a DAC does not see 1.8K nor does it need to put out more than 2V. This is what everyone wants....something for their use....not yours. Please talk about what you know works universally, not for your one off use. It serves no one. Your "real world condition" is only yours.....your world only. This is not what others are looking for. The op amps in the Happy one or other CD players/DACs do not drive anything that needs current. You are using the Op amp as the input stage for your amp. That is why you need so much gain and why you have such a low impedance load. Not useful info.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Your case is completely different from 99.99999% of all uses. You cannot talk about other uses....only yours. The usual op amp on the output of a DAC does not see 1.8K nor does it need to put out more than 2V. This is what everyone wants....something for their use....not yours. Please talk about what you know works universally, not for your one off use. It serves no one. Your "real world condition" is only yours.....your world only. This is not what others are looking for. The op amps in the Happy one or other CD players/DACs do not drive anything that needs current. You are using the Op amp as the input stage for your amp. That is why you need so much gain and why you have such a low impedance load. Not useful info.

In my experience the less something has to work, the better it sounds. The Sonic Imagery's sound the best in every application I've tried them in. Which is why I reccommend them.

Did you read that thread starting at post # 84? He's talking about modding a regular DAC with the 994's.:

"Here is the main criteria for opamp selection for the LKS.

Gain Bandwidth Product (GBW) around 50MHz
LKS uses a combined I/V and first stage low pass filter and it has to deal with a raw input of up to 23MHz (DSD512) so double that to get the bandwidth.

The I/V uses negative feedback to do its work so the opamp has to be fast enough to make the necessary corrections for negative feedback to work (sufficient phase margin for the loop gain LKS designed into the DAC).

This is critical to reduce transient and intermodulation distortion (TID/IMD)

Output current 32mA or more.
The Sabre puts out 32mA@ full scale, and I want only Class-A operation, so opamp idle current needs to be >30mA.
Most DAC chips on the market put out between 2-4mA

Sonic Imagery Ticha 994
GBW: 50MHz OK
Output current: ±150mA OK
Idle current: 30mA almost OK

Some of potential candidates mentioned

NJR Muses02
GBW: 11MHz Not OK
Output current: ±50mA OK
Idle current: 8mA Not OK

LME49720
GBW: 55MHz OK
Output current ±26mA Marginal in one direction
Idle current: 10mA Not OK

Will the 2 above work in practice ?

Sound will come out of the DAC, and it will be the brittle, scratchy and bright top end, that is the common complaint of Delta-Sigma DACs.
In the case of the MUSES02 there is also the midrange suckout at high sampling rates (>88kHz) to deal with because of the insufficient bandwidth.

The harsh sound and smeared transients is in part due to TIM/IMD and the opamp moving between Class-A and Class-B while trying to deliver the large load current coming from the Sabre.

In order to get the liquidity without the harshness so beloved by the R2R crowd, the opamp in the Sabre's I/V converter needs to have the bandwidth/speed and the juice to do its work."

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
Yes, I read all that. Just one persons opinion about what "he" thinks the circuit needs. Again, just keep to the facts. Now you say you like your fave everywhere, in every circuit you have tried. You should have said this before. Instead you talked about current sinking and class A which you know nothing about. Just tell us what you did and what you heard in ways that make sense to those who need the info. Stop quoting specs and others. Just tell us what you know. Don't pretend to know stuff and don't defend yourself. Just state what you did and what you heard....THIS IS THE ONLY TRUTH THERE IS....YOUR DIRECT EXPERIENCE....not some conjecture about anything.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You should check out this thread. Start with post #84:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745032/lks-audio-mh-da003/75

In my particular case, my amps have a 1.8k input impedance. So they require a lot of grunt to drive properly. 13.46v will drive them to the full rated output.

Another good article:

http://stephan.win31.de/music.htm#opclassa

Your particular case is an exception in the audiophile world. 13.46V signals will produce almost square waves in typical amplifiers :). The typical situation is that real input signals have less than 2V amplitude, as amplifiers have gain around 20-30 dB and modern speakers are reasonably efficient. And most have input impedance's between 5 and 100 Kohm.

You should list your special requirements either in your signature or in your profile at WBF. Otherwise your claims will be misinterpreted and misleading.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Yes, I read all that. Just one persons opinion about what "he" thinks the circuit needs. Again, just keep to the facts. Now you say you like your fave everywhere, in every circuit you have tried. You should have said this before. Instead you talked about current sinking and class A which you know nothing about. Just tell us what you did and what you heard in ways that make sense to those who need the info. Stop quoting specs and others. Just tell us what you know. Don't pretend to know stuff and don't defend yourself. Just state what you did and what you heard....THIS IS THE ONLY TRUTH THERE IS....YOUR DIRECT EXPERIENCE....not some conjecture about anything.

Microstrip quoted the specs. I was just saying under some conditions those specs won't look so great. For example, my conditions.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Your particular case is an exception in the audiophile world. 13.46V signals will produce almost square waves in typical amplifiers :). The typical situation is that real input signals have less than 2V amplitude, as amplifiers have gain around 20-30 dB and modern speakers are reasonably efficient. And most have input impedance's between 5 and 100 Kohm.

You should list your special requirements either in your signature or in your profile at WBF. Otherwise your claims will be misinterpreted and misleading.

As I said already, regardless of load requirements, the Sonic Imagery opamps sound better than any IC or discrete opamps I've tried. On top of this, your not going to find an application that they can't handle. Which isn't the case for most other opamps.

People seem to think as long as your under the max rating then it's okay. Well I would prefer to drive an opamp at 0.5% load than 30-40%. There's a reason why several hundred thousand $ multi kilowatt class A amps sound good. It's not because people will be driving them to the max.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Rick Schultz, for the benefit of all people, could you please share some of your own DAC mods that we can do ourselves and improve our life with better sound?

Happy Thanksgiving Friday!

LarsS

Nov 11, 2014
Stockholm
Not related directly to improving DAC, more comms between PC and DAC.

My PC has a Paul Pang USB v2 card and I'm thinking of replacing the USB connectors with one of these:

Connector.jpg

as can be seen on the picture the connectors are integrated with magnetics for ESD protection and EMI filtering. Worthwhile trying or what do you think? Alternative to AQ JB and the likes??

Now ordered from Digikey to try out, they seem like the real deal for USB comms, at least worth a try

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Not related directly to improving DAC, more comms between PC and DAC.

My PC has a Paul Pang USB v2 card and I'm thinking of replacing the USB connectors with one of these:

View attachment 23676

as can be seen on the picture the connectors are integrated with magnetics for ESD protection and EMI filtering. Worthwhile trying or what do you think? Alternative to AQ JB and the likes??

Try and see. Then let us know. Probably won't hurt.

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
Blizzard, I just wanted to pick your brain regarding DAC power supplies. I´ve read a lot of people mention the noticeable improvements in sound quality changing the power supply of your DAC can bring along and the superiority of LPS, has this also been your experience? Can you recommend a good power supply that doesn´t break the bank?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizzard, I just wanted to pick your brain regarding DAC power supplies. I´ve read a lot of people mention the noticeable improvements in sound quality changing the power supply of your DAC can bring along and the superiority of LPS, has this also been your experience? Can you recommend a good power supply that doesn´t break the bank?

It all depends on the DAC. Things like this need to be assessed on a case to case basis.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
hi any sugestions for a TAD D1000?

To be honest, when it comes to DAC's of that caliber, you might be better off leaving as is. I think the best value modding DAC's can be had with sub $5000 units. However if you can find some pictures of the output stage and clock, I can see if there's some easy drop in upgrades.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)
The 2 easiest mods you can do are:

1: Master clocks

2: Discrete Opamp's

Depending on the DAC, even more mods are possible. If you have a Lampizator for example, several easy mods can be preformed that can result in huge performance upgrades for cheap.

If your among the crowd open minded enough to embark on this fruitful mission, let me know what you have, and I'll let you know what I think can be done cheaply and easily :)

Did you hear about the Stanford Research Systems PERF10 Rubidium Audio Clock and the cheaper DIY versions? http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/610-stanford-research-systems-perf10-rubidium-audio-clock#most-read-equipment-reviews

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

This is highly suggestible for better performance. But Blizz is correct that some DAC's it's easier said than done, if at all.

However in regards to the whole topic, there is no better upgrade than very good power conditioning with PFC. Nothing else will make you listen more than that.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Did you hear about the Stanford Research Systems PERF10 Rubidium Audio Clock and the cheaper DIY versions? http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/610-stanford-research-systems-perf10-rubidium-audio-clock#most-read-equipment-reviews

The only problem with external clocks are, no matter how low the jitter is, by the time the clock signal makes it to the chip it's clocking, the jitter is usually much higher than a higher jitter clock soldered to the board an inch from the chip.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The only problem with external clocks are, no matter how low the jitter is, by the time the clock signal makes it to the chip it's clocking, the jitter is usually much higher than a higher jitter clock soldered to the board an inch from the chip.

I can not see why. I think that if you properly terminate your cables and optimize the layout a cable soldered half inch from the chip should not add jitter.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm confused. What's discrete operational amplifier?

Tim

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I can not see why. I think that if you properly terminate your cables and optimize the layout a cable soldered half inch from the chip should not add jitter.

I was referring to the external model.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing