Can an otherwise good speaker cable be ruined by the connector?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I saw a few mentions of the Furutech brand connectors. I was leaning heavily towards the FT-211 Rhodium Spades for my purpose but the only drawback I see is that they are designed for 5/16" binding posts. Personally I have never come across a 5/16" binding post on either an Amp or a Speaker so I'm a bit concerned that they may have a sloppy fit on a 1/4" post.

While we are on the topic of connectors, what is the general consensus on using a Banana verses a Spade for the speaker side connection? I've read some audiophile opinions that say a Banana is a compromised connection but I've never had an issue with them and tend to prefer them on the speaker end. I can't say I've seen any hard evidence that would support why a Banana would be considered less ideal.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Like everything else it depends on which ones and what type of binding posts are on your amps and speakers. I like banana plugs too, but I can't always use them, I found some binding posts too short and some too wide to properly accommodate certain bayonet types, including my favorites. I have been using roll speaker wires for the past 14 years and went back & forth between bare wire/banana/spade many times over the years what type you use makes a difference, the better ones have different qualities. You'd think that bare wire is always better than any termination but depending on the cable gauge and the binding post the opposite could be true. If you want be sure buy a bunch and try them out in your system, not a big job if you hold off on the finishing. I hesitate to recommend anything not knowing what you're looking for.

david

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I saw a few mentions of the Furutech brand connectors. I was leaning heavily towards the FT-211 Rhodium Spades for my purpose but the only drawback I see is that they are designed for 5/16" binding posts. Personally I have never come across a 5/16" binding post on either an Amp or a Speaker so I'm a bit concerned that they may have a sloppy fit on a 1/4" post.

While we are on the topic of connectors, what is the general consensus on using a Banana verses a Spade for the speaker side connection? I've read some audiophile opinions that say a Banana is a compromised connection but I've never had an issue with them and tend to prefer them on the speaker end. I can't say I've seen any hard evidence that would support why a Banana would be considered less ideal.

Thoughts?

Thanks

The FT-211s are awesome spades and fit fine on 1/4 posts"... but I have a set of FT-865(R) binding posts on one of my amps and they are awesome, the best, nicest clamping action on a spade I've ever used, better than WBT imo. I'd consider upgrading to Furutech posts, even better if it's the torque guard with the carbon/stainless knobs. :) But the FT-865 are fairly ideal as far as binding posts go, and not too expensive. If you get them you need the FT-210 push-connectors as well.

Bananas are compromised for the sake of convenience, pure copper bananas must be locking so they are more complicated vs spades. The Furutech FT-212 or CF-212 are a great design and I wouldn't have a problem with using them. The FT-211 spades are great though, best value for the money too with the non-resonant housing. It's basically the same as the FP-201 with a nice housing and strain relief. WBT bananas are great sounding connectors too, but again, construction quality on the Furutechs is far better.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Like everything else it depends on which ones and what type of binding posts are on your amps and speakers. I like banana plugs too, but I can't use them all them time, I found some binding posts too short and some to wide to properly accommodate certain bayonet types. I have been using roll speaker wires for the past 14 years and went back & forth between bare wire/banana/spade many times over the years what type you use makes a difference, the better ones have different qualities. You'd think that bare wire is always better than any termination but depending on the cable gauge and the binding post the opposite could be true. If you want be sure buy a bunch and try them out in your system, not a big job if you hold off on the finishing.

david

I would only consider locking bananas as they will expand to fit different sized binding post holes. Any good banana with pure copper contacts needs to be locking as copper is too soft for the bayonet-style plugs, which are brass or bronze. As a rule, only go with pure copper connectors, or silver in the case of WBT. Brass adds grain. It's not alike a few brass connections are going to kill your sound, but pure copper is noticeably better especially when used throughout the system.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I would only consider locking bananas as they will expand to fit different sized binding post holes. Any good banana with pure copper contacts needs to be locking as copper is too soft for the bayonet-style plugs, which are brass or bronze. As a rule, only go with pure copper connectors, or silver in the case of WBT. Brass adds grain. It's not alike a few brass connections are going to kill your sound, but pure copper is noticeably better especially when used throughout the system.
Locking types are good but then you lose out on some great ones like The ETI/Eichmanns. Not having to sell cables commercially allows one to use types that might be otherwise impractical.
david

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
The FT-211s are awesome spades and fit fine on 1/4 posts"... but I have a set of FT-865(R) binding posts on one of my amps and they are awesome, the best, nicest clamping action on a spade I've ever used, better than WBT imo. I'd consider upgrading to Furutech posts, even better if it's the torque guard with the carbon/stainless knobs. :) But the FT-865 are fairly ideal as far as binding posts go, and not too expensive. If you get them you need the FT-210 push-connectors as well.

Bananas are compromised for the sake of convenience, pure copper bananas must be locking so they are more complicated vs spades. The Furutech FT-212 or CF-212 are a great design and I wouldn't have a problem with using them. The FT-211 spades are great though, best value for the money too with the non-resonant housing. It's basically the same as the FP-201 with a nice housing and strain relief. WBT bananas are great sounding connectors too, but again, construction quality on the Furutechs is far better.

Would the FT-211s accommodate a single 12awg or does the hole require a larger gauge wire to fit snug?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Would the FT-211s accommodate a single 12awg or does the hole require a larger gauge wire to fit snug?

They come with 2 lengths of set-screws to accommodate wire up to 8 ga or so, 12g will be fine.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The best speaker cable terminators are none, ideally having the speaker wire run right into the speaker and to the xover(s). Obviously this is not practical. I believe there is a balancing act between robust enough speaker cable terminations able to make sufficient contact with the speaker binding post vs. limiting the amount of speaker cable binding post material which ultimately just adds unnecessary resistance. This is what companies like Eichmann and Electra Cable espouse to as the right path.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Can I just add that there appears to be two opposing camps with connectors. We have the likes of WBT, Eichmann and DNM that use minimal connectors, whereas Bochinno use a connector called Brenda and companies like Cawsey, Argento and Cawsey use their connectors.
I get the impression that it might not be simply a case of one ultimate conenctor, but the fact that the cable/connecttor combo has been voiced in a specif way to perform best together. Do bear in mind that one can't use Nordost (and several other) cables in a bare wire configuration, so bare wire is not an option in many instances.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
The best speaker cable terminators are none, ideally having the speaker wire run right into the speaker and to the xover(s). Obviously this is not practical. I believe there is a balancing act between robust enough speaker cable terminations able to make sufficient contact with the speaker binding post vs. limiting the amount of speaker cable binding post material which ultimately just adds unnecessary resistance. This is what companies like Eichmann and Electra Cable espouse to as the right path.

I guess those cheap aiwa and Bush midi syatems were onyo something then - they were always permanently wired up without any connectors... LOL

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
I bet the termination method (soldering method and quality, crimping, cold pressed weld) is likely as more maybe more important than the actual connector.

That is exactly what I was taught.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
big connectors

I had a discussion with Garry Cawsey and he likes Bochinno Brenda plugs that are very big. Notably he commented that their advantage is in the grounding.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Some anecdotal evidence indicates that connectors are important:

1. A while back I upgraded my Benchmark DAC1 to Eichmann RCA outs and that made a difference in sound quality.

2. My friend Chris Sommovigo who makes the well-regarded Black Cat cables changed connectors on the Lectraline interconnects and that made an improvement.

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Can the power connector on the power cord also make the sound better if used with good connectors

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Can the power connector on the power cord also make the sound better if used with good connectors

Yes, the connectors on power cables make a huge difference. I suggest Furutech copper/rhodium plated plugs...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing