Multi Channel Amp - That Passes Muster with Audiophiles

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Which brands of multi-channel amps have you encountered (say in the $2-5k range) that would be a credible player in a 2-channel system for? Sometimes people want to build a system that can be a full-bore audiophile setup for stereo, but also require multi-channel home theater functionality in the same system. Unfortunately, almost all the amps you'd want to use in 2-channel stereo setup aren't available in a multi-channel model and it's been my observation that amps from home theater manufacturers don't make a good foundation for 2-channel duties.

What brands have you encountered that buck this trend?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Which brands of multi-channel amps have you encountered (say in the $2-5k range) that would be a credible player in a 2-channel system for? Sometimes people want to build a system that can be a full-bore audiophile setup for stereo, but also require multi-channel home theater functionality in the same system. Unfortunately, almost all the amps you'd want to use in 2-channel stereo setup aren't available in a multi-channel model and it's been my observation that amps from home theater manufacturers don't make a good foundation for 2-channel duties.

First, can we infer that you are asking about power amplifiers?
Second, how many channels do you mean by multi-channel? 3? 5? 7?

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Hello Kal, yes, I had power amps in mind, but an integrated fits the bill just as well. I think 5 channels is the minimum, just to avoid the need for a 2nd amp, but the option to do 7 channels would be nice.

First, can we infer that you are asking about power amplifiers?
Second, how many channels do you mean by multi-channel? 3? 5? 7?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think I would buy a 2CH amp for the front speakers and then a 3CH or 5CH amp for the centre and surround channels, if you're looking for this to do double-duty.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

While they don't have any real high end caché sonically I find very little wrong with most Denon amps, specially given their pricing. I'm not a Denon dealer but that's what I recommend and use in all my HT surround installations and what we listen to around the house. I looked at Adcom, Anthem and a couple of other dealer friendlier brands but at the end of the day given my limited volume and our typical low margins today, carrying merchandise at these price points wasn't worth it. Besides Denon still sounds better. I wouldn't fret much most of these multichannel amps sound nearly the same, pick features and looks.

david

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Bryston used to (perhaps still does) make 3 and 5 channel amps as well as mono amps designed to be used one per speaker in MCH applications

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
And I wouldn't discount Emotiva as a possibility either.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
To me, the obvious recommendations under $5k are the Parasound A51 and the Rotel RMB-1585 but, if you will accept Class D amps, consider also the NAD M27 and the Classe Sigma Amp5. The Bryston amps are also worthy but over $5K and, while I haven't tried them, I find the ATI amps attractive.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing