Pre-Amp/Linestage With Subwoofer Outs

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I have a four channel system. There's the R/L and SWR/SWL. So, my Lynx Hilo outputs 4 analog channels. I currently use TPDF 64 bit digital volume control. I am interested in possibly switching over to analog volume control. I've been on the search for a preamp which is very high performance and can accomodate at least 4 channels in and 4 channels out. The preamp would need to be able to simultaneously volume control all 4 channels and have an IR remote. My reasons for this are:
1. It would be much easier in my setup for my wife to be able to simply pick up a remote control to handle volume.
2. Maybe I would get slightly better dynamics with certain tracks. This is debatable and I really don't want to get in to it here. It's important to me that the preamp have excellent s/n ratio; tubes need not apply.

The only high end preamps I can find which are capable of doing what I want are the the Mark Levinson No.52 ($30,000) and the Krell Illusion ($$$$$$). Both of these preamps look excellent to me. Of course, I am soliciting you folks for advice for other units of which I am not aware. I am not interested in mediocre home theater preamps.(eg. parasound p7). I am not interested in any other digital volume control solution as I feel the one I am using is about as good as it as it can get.

I would also consider a simple resistor or tvc volume control. My DAC puts out plenty of voltage so I really don't need a preamp to amplify the signal. I know about Music First TVC but I don't know whether they do multi-channel. I don't need a phono stage but I'll take it if it's there.

Thanks,
Michael.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
I have a four channel system. There's the R/L and SWR/SWL. So, my Lynx Hilo outputs 4 analog channels. I currently use TPDF 64 bit digital volume control. I am interested in possibly switching over to analog volume control. I've been on the search for a preamp which is very high performance and can accomodate at least 4 channels in and 4 channels out. The preamp would need to be able to simultaneously volume control all 4 channels and have an IR remote. My reasons for this are:
1. It would be much easier in my setup for my wife to be able to simply pick up a remote control to handle volume.
2. Maybe I would get slightly better dynamics with certain tracks. This is debatable and I really don't want to get in to it here. It's important to me that the preamp have excellent s/n ratio; tubes need not apply.

The only high end preamps I can find which are capable of doing what I want are the the Mark Levinson No.52 ($30,000) and the Krell Illusion ($$$$$$). Both of these preamps look excellent to me. Of course, I am soliciting you folks for advice for other units of which I am not aware. I am not interested in mediocre home theater preamps.(eg. parasound p7). I am not interested in any other digital volume control solution as I feel the one I am using is about as good as it as it can get.

I would also consider a simple resistor or tvc volume control. My DAC puts out plenty of voltage so I really don't need a preamp to amplify the signal. I know about Music First TVC but I don't know whether they do multi-channel. I don't need a phono stage but I'll take it if it's there.

Thanks,
Michael.

Music First do bespoke commissions, so four-channel passive may be possible. I was really impressed with the Classic V2, in both build quality and sound quality, but of course, passives are very system dependent so all the usual caveats apply. Do they do remote? I'm not sure.

Perhaps Slagle and Jackson at Emia could make you one.

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Maybe the best thing to do, I just get a simple IR remote that's compatible with Jriver. I think I'll look into that.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Maybe the best thing to do, I just get a simple IR remote that's compatible with Jriver. I think I'll look into that.

I know. But wouldn't it be so much cooler with 0.9999 pure silver-wound autoformers doing the job instead?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Devialet 200 will work brilliantly with the G3s and subs .. you get a stunning amp thrown in ... :)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Devialet 200 will work brilliantly with the G3s and subs .. you get a stunning amp thrown in ... :)

Yes, Nyal also recommended it. I think the devialet amps are outstanding. Maybe I need to speak to Nyal about whether the devialet can be configured the way I want.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I have a four channel system. There's the R/L and SWR/SWL.

Thanks,
Michael.

Unless I'm missing something, technically you have a 2 channel system and not 4. You have a few alternatives to add remote control to your system, I'm sure there are a good number of active line stages with dual outputs, you won't find them when searching for 4 channel preamps but 2 channel stereo ones are available. You can also add 4 passive attenuators in line with your amps and use one remote control for all of them.

david

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Yes, it would be awesome. I think the music first gear is gorgeous.

Yep, gorgeous.

Music First only do transformer-based volume controls, Emia's ones are autoformer-based. Emia will let you order silver-wound auto-formers on their ones, and can be ordered with remote control too. While the Emia aesthetic isn't exactly "gorgeous", it nails the distressed, barn-find look pretty darn well.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, Nyal also recommended it. I think the devialet amps are outstanding. Maybe I need to speak to Nyal about whether the devialet can be configured the way I want.

It is difficult to imagine a configuration that can't be carried using Devialet's ... Up to 8 units can be daisy chained in digital mode. But creating the 8 SD cards needs a lot of work!

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Unless I'm missing something, technically you have a 2 channel system and not 4. You have a few alternatives to add remote control to your system, I'm sure there are a good number of active line stages with dual outputs, you won't find them when searching for 4 channel preamps but 2 channel stereo ones are available. You can also add 4 passive attenuators in line with your amps and use one remote control for all of them.

david

It's definitely a four channel system.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I read the manual. The 53 would work.

Actually my mistake its the 52 not 53 which is the amplifier. The 52 is only a 2 channel stereo preamp, a Left & a Right not 4 channels and if this is what you're looking for then you have quite a few less expensive options to choose from.

Mark_Levinson_No.52_rear_panel.JPG

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
well, the Nautilus requires a tri-amped system unlike yours.

No - a four-amped system! :) As far as I could see in the configurator the standard Devialet includes the configurable active filters.

I listened to them long ago using a custom Krell active crossover with four heavy stereo Krell amplifiers.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Actually my mistake its the 52 not 53 which is the amplifier. The 52 is only a 2 channel stereo preamp, a Left & a Right not 4 channels and if this is what you're looking for then you have quite a few less expensive options to choose from.

View attachment 23617

david

It does 4 channels. Check out the manual which addresses the aux out. It is designed for my application. There really aren't many other options other than home theater pres and custom tvc like music first. I do think the devialet looks appealing but that would require a bigger system change.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It does 4 channels. Check out the manual which addresses the aux out. It is designed for my application. There really aren't many other options other than home theater pres and custom tvc like music first. I do think the devialet looks appealing but that would require a bigger system change.

I'm just trying to help Michael, not looking to score points or argue. Levinson's own description tells you what it is; dual mono means just that, 2 channels and not 4. How do you go from 1L & 1R input to 4 channels output? Its still the same 2 channels, L & R coming out of multiple outputs, nothing more. The Aux in/out feature is like a glorified tape loop that many other preamps also have.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing