Luxman EQ-500

joe_marsh

Jul 19, 2016
I have the EQ500 and really enjoy it in my system. I initially replaced the rectifier with an early 60's NOS Mullard sourced from Brent Jessee. That alone had a notable impact, adding more weight to the sound. I picked up a pair of mid 50's Tele's from TubeWorld Express in WI to replace the 12AU7's but waited to roll them until I could also swap in some Tele 12AX7's as well. I ended up picking up some used (reportedly testing strong) Tele 12AX7's on USAM and proceeded to roll all 6 gain tubes. The result was disappointing, so I started a process of elimination to see which were the offending tubes - turns out they were the 12AX7's. So I'm now running the stock JJ's with Tele 12AU7's and a Mullard rectifier and love the sound - big improvement over stock. I'm in now hurry to replace the JJ 12AX7's but I do suspect that a quality NOS Tele quad would sound stellar.
Deadwax

Do you still have the EQ-500? I just purchased a used one and am shocked at the paucity of info and vagueness of the manual. So, the 12AX7's should all (4) be matched? How does loading work for a MC? Thanks!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Deadwax

Do you still have the EQ-500? I just purchased a used one and am shocked at the paucity of info and vagueness of the manual. So, the 12AX7's should all (4) be matched? How does loading work for a MC? Thanks!
My experience of the Luxman EQ 500 may be helpful.
I agree the manual is of only limited assistance with MC cartridges and the gain, impedance and capacitance controls seem to be limited to MM cartridges. Changing the settings with an MC cartridge does not make any audible difference.
I substituted the stock tubes with Telefunken NOS tubes and a Mullard NOS rectifier from the Tube Depot. They made a big difference. The sound quality is now excellent.
There is,however, a compromise. The volume is limited to about 63db on the EQ 500. I had to increase the sensitivity on my Vitus SIA 030 to get more volume. It is now much better, but still not as loud as I would like on some rock recordings, but fine with classical LPs.
So a compromise that I am satisfied with, but had I known before buying it I would probably have looked elsewhere. I may at some stage try a step up amp, but suspect it may be more cost effective to change the phono stage.

joe_marsh

Jul 19, 2016
My experience of the Luxman EQ 500 may be helpful.
I agree the manual is of only limited assistance with MC cartridges and the gain, impedance and capacitance controls seem to be limited to MM cartridges. Changing the settings with an MC cartridge does not make any audible difference.
I substituted the stock tubes with Telefunken NOS tubes and a Mullard NOS rectifier from the Tube Depot. They made a big difference. The sound quality is now excellent.
There is,however, a compromise. The volume is limited to about 63db on the EQ 500. I had to increase the sensitivity on my Vitus SIA 030 to get more volume. It is now much better, but still not as loud as I would like on some rock recordings, but fine with classical LPs.
So a compromise that I am satisfied with, but had I known before buying it I would probably have looked elsewhere. I may at some stage try a step up amp, but suspect it may be more cost effective to change the phono stage.
I understand on the volume...not sure how much more gain you could get going to something else. I have a CJ Et-5 with a fair amount of gain. I just turn it to eleven.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Deadwax

Just noticed this post a year later - wasn't flagged since there was no @ in front of my name.

The referenced loading is the cart's internal. The actual loading is much higher - ~110 ohms for MC High, and ~50 ohms for MC low. Explained pretty nicely on page 32 of this pdf https://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_103.pdf

I thought this quote at the conclusion of the article was quite the endorsement:

In the end, the dynamic contrast exhibited by the Luxman EQ-500 almost reaches into the territory of the Burmester PH-100, or the Tenor P1. It does not have their frequency extension or solidity of holographic imagery, but the Burmester costs 3x as much, and the Tenor, 10x, so the Luxman EQ-500 is truly a ba Luxman EQ-500 is truly a bargain for what it does. Over a period of 4 months I listened to hundreds of albums on the EQ-500. The sound reminds me of the McIntosh MP1100. It is slightly leaner than the warm sounding Ensemble Fonobrio, and not as voluptuous as the Aesthetix Rhea. It is slightly on the warmer and softer side of being neutral, and not as neutral as the AR Phono Ref 2 or Phono Ref 3, but it is most certainly not as sparkly, nor carry as much slam as the Manley Steelhead. It is a sound carrying enough natural realism to listen for hours without fatigue, yet not to the point of being heavily colored, drowning out other equipment in the reproduction chain. Even with three other phono stages in my collection, all of which cost nearly 10 to 20 times the Luxman EQ-500, I liked it so I liked it so much that I decided to purchase one, and it will likely be a permanent piece in my system.

With this said, I'd be curious if anyone has specifically compared the Luxman EQ-500 MM stage against the Leben RS-30EQ or the MM stage of the newest version Shindo Monbrison. Real world impressions are welcome!

srmusic

Nov 27, 2017
New Zealand
Just noticed this post a year later - wasn't flagged since there was no @ in front of my name.

The referenced loading is the cart's internal. The actual loading is much higher - ~110 ohms for MC High, and ~50 ohms for MC low. Explained pretty nicely on page 32 of this pdf https://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_103.pdf

I thought this quote at the conclusion of the article was quite the endorsement:

With this said, I'd be curious if anyone has specifically compared the Luxman EQ-500 MM stage against the Leben RS-30EQ or the MM stage of the newest version Shindo Monbrison. Real world impressions are welcome!
Hello, about 2 years ago I purchased a brand new Luxman C900/M900 pre/power along with the EQ500 phono stage. My equipment then (and now!) was Leben RS28cx/CS660P amplifier which has an internal very similar if not identical phono stage to the RS-30EQ - in combination with a Coincident SUT. Yes the Luxman setup sounded very good but to my complete and utter suprise (considering the Luxman set up was more than twice the price, and 5 times the power) in my system it was not as musical sounding to my ears as my existing Leben set up with the Coincident SUT. NB. I do believe that the quality of the SUT used is paramount. My speakers are Harbeth HL5 Super 40th Ann. and my cartridge an Airtight PC1 Supreme MC. I hope this is of some help. Cheers, Stuart

Reactions: DeadWax

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
it was not as musical sounding to my ears as my existing Leben set up with the Coincident SUT.
Thanks. Your input is consistent with other's experiences I'm learning. I agree on the SUT synergy and am currently using an A23 SUT configured for EMT carts - it's amazing and sounds much better than using the EQ-500 MC stage with the EMT cart. I keep receiving rave reviews on the Leben and I also understand it pairs very well with A23 SUTs. I suspect i know where this path is leading me ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing