Luxman EQ-500

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi all!
it is my first post in WBF, so bear with me :)
Im a music lover for almost 30years... and was on A break from GASing audiophile upgrades...
the bug strike me again and i was back in the "game" a few months ago...

in parallel of me waiting for a new TT+arm order, i placed two weeks ago, i was thinking about flipping my phono pre amp as well.
i saw and Listened to the new Flagship Luxman EQ500 phono stage locally, and was amazed how incredible it sound!
i have his SS little brother the E200...so. as much as i like it and think it one of the best and quiet! phono stage around for his price and way up... i couldn't stop lurking for his big tube brother.

I never had A tube phono stage before and stopped by to ask you guys what do you think?
tube phono stage in general, on the eq500 (if someone familiar with it) specific, and anything else you can lay on my :cool:

thank you very much!
(sorry for my shabby english, it is not my native Lang' of course).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
amazing 184 viewers and 0 comments!
:eek:
I'm not surprised.....if it's not the super holy grail of phono pre's or other gear, these threads often get ignored. Trust me, I've made my share of them.

How much is that EQ500?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I never had A tube phono stage before and stopped by to ask you guys what do you think?
I have a tube phono stage built into my preamp, a GRAAF WFB ONE.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7932-Pre-Amp-with-Phono-needs-new-tubes

Tubes and vinyl were meant to go together, better than chocolate and peanut butter.

There is something about the snap/crackle/pop of the surface noise which is deemphasized allowing the bloom of the music to flourish in a natural way.

In the past I've compared it to a couple glasses of wine, you can still hear a little snap/crackle/pop but just don't care.

Tubes are like Vicodin for vinyl.

In general and in a rough approximation, solid state gets the initial snap or beginning of a note, and also does well on the character of the ending of the note, accounting for it's speed-like character. However it lacks the middle of the note bloom or presence of tubes.

The snap/crackle/pop sounds or disruptive noises are all over emphasized with solid state as they live on the leading and dying edges.

There is no body or middle tone to these disruptions (snap/crackle/pop) so tubes cannot magnify their nastiness.

In the end, trust your ears, they will tell you the truth.

Welcome to the forum byrdparis.

EDIT: Holy cow, for $8,000 they better let you home audition it.

http://www.thehighernote.com/blog/2...can-debut-at-the-show-newport-may-29-31-2015/
LUXMAN-EQ500_PD171Pg1.jpg
Availability: Late September, 2015

Tentative Pricing: $7,500 – $7,950

It's so new that I don't think there are any reviews on the unit yet.

Has anyone found any?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
amazing 184 viewers and 0 comments!
:eek:
Byrdparis, may I offer you a few Internet forum posting tips?

Your fundamental question as I see it was:

This is the old tubes V's solid state debate, and maybe the thread title should have reflected that somehow, rather than listing a unit so new, nobody knew what the heck it was, or anything about it.

Think of this like fishing, you have to use the right bait, a presentation as it were.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Mark up is nice. They cost $US 3500 in Japan. 430,000 yen.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I'm not surprised.....if it's not the super holy grail of phono pre's or other gear, these threads often get ignored. Trust me, I've made my share of them.

How much is that EQ500?

Hey Jonny!
ya, i figured, maybe because its a new release - but, i was thinking if anyone will know about such stuff - maybe it will be here :)
But i guess not :eek:

The eq500 will be 7500$~ around the world (except JP of course... ) give or take customs\vat etc.

I had the opportunity to here the unit on several occasions till now (the Luxman dealer has the unit already) and also trying some tube rolling to add some serious sides to examine it for a real experience and sound wise capability.

First of all it is one hack of machinery! It looks and feel like a monster but not an "ASR 3x BOXes Monster". It got 7 tubes inside – 4 drivers, 2 buffers and a rectifier.
Tried some mullard, telefunken, amprex, Philips etc. the unit came stock with JJ (eu).
The telefunken ECC83 with mullard (82) was the cleanest and most define and refine outcome! But every test we did was clear and great on all sides of the spectrum!
The versatility on it was great, it has 3 inputs and two outputs (one fully balance) – the mc section is a SUT based and now a transistor – it is quiet as a mouse! Something I notice with the lot less expansive e200 unit I have right now from Luxman! (but it’s a SS unit and not a tube phono so its not the same to compare)

The sound is big but not unreal big. It delivers the sound on the recordings like it use to sound, Natural and organic. The tubes really got things to bloom like you guys said and gives slight warm to the sound when its should be.
We tried to listened two examples on it –
A Brinkman Bardo with Ikeda 357 and Ikeda 9TS and a Brinkman Bardo with Brinkman 10.5 and a ZYX R1000 airy3 sb… both set ups sound awesome!

On the same note – I live in Israel and we don’t have so much of a variety of phono stages in that caliber to review (we have, but I guess you guys have a lot more).
I was buying and listen to High end audio for the past 20 years. And listen to some fine examples but now after I bought my Brinkman, it is time to "invest" in a really good phono stage so, the Luxman probably will be it!

:cool:

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Byrdparis,

Did you buy the EQ-500? If so, what are your longer term impressions of it?

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi Byrdparis,

Did you buy the EQ-500? If so, what are your longer term impressions of it?

Hi Paul.
i did bought the eq500 eventually but already flip it since then for a PASS XP25
the Luxman IS a great phono stage and i am enjoy it a lot when i visit the local Luxman dealer and a few friends that bought it after me.
it was a little less exciting and dynamic at my place (due to a less fitting with my tubes pre amp) so i turn it back and got the PASS instead.
the xp25 have everything i wanted! and add some. but - the Luxman is a real eyeopener and its still one of my fav' phono stage around now days (under 10K of course) when paring with a proper electronics.

hope that helps a bit.

BTW - what extensively modifications you did to your ML spire?

Aviad.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Paul.
i did bought the eq500 eventually but already flip it since then for a PASS XP25
the Luxman IS a great phono stage and i am enjoy it a lot when i visit the local Luxman dealer and a few friends that bought it after me.
it was a little less exciting and dynamic at my place (due to a less fitting with my tubes pre amp) so i turn it back and got the PASS instead.
the xp25 have everything i wanted! and add some. but - the Luxman is a real eyeopener and its still one of my fav' phono stage around now days (under 10K of course) when paring with a proper electronics.

hope that helps a bit.

Aviad.

Congrats, the Pass XP-25 is a great phono stage. I owned one til just recently.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Congrats, the Pass XP-25 is a great phono stage. I owned one til just recently.

Thanks XV-1.
i was just read your Thales thread! magnificent arm! the local dealer is a dear friend of mine so i am familiar with their work.
i also see that you've got a less then shay Carts collection.
i am at a crossroad regarding a new cart.
im thinking about the ortofon A95...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thanks XV-1.
i was just read your Thales thread! magnificent arm! the local dealer is a dear friend of mine so i am familiar with their work.
i also see that you've got a less then shay Carts collection.
i am at a crossroad regarding a new cart.
im thinking about the ortofon A95...

thanks. I really love the Thales tonearm.

You are not going with the new Acoustical Systems Palladian cartridge? Has very good user reports.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
thanks. I really love the Thales tonearm.

You are not going with the new Acoustical Systems Palladian cartridge? Has very good user reports.
it was on my list but i prefer to go search elsewhere for now.
i got every respect for A.S - the Aquilar and the Archon are great match! and very fine product!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Paul.

hope that helps a bit.

Aviad.

Hi Aviad,

Many thanks for the response; and for your impression of the EQ-500, and of course the XP25 which a good friend owns and enjoys, it is quite a piece! Btw, he owns Avalon Eidolon Diamond also.. The Luxman is one stage i'm interested to hear, perhaps one day..!

The ML's had quite a workover; new external crossovers based on Clarity Cap MR's, completely rewired, bass cabinet clad in granite and ceasarstone, Finite Elemente Cerabase feet, sealed bass enclosure etc. A detailed write up is on the MLO site here: http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...pire-with-External-Crossovers-amp-Electronics

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have got a Luxman EQ 500 due to arrive next month.
It has the features I was looking for and crucially a balanced output.
Very well reviewed but I appreciate their limitations.
I found the review by Richard Mak on the Luxman American site very helpful as it is my intention to swap the stock valves for better Nos ones. Richard installed Telefunken 12AX7,12AU7s and an RCA 6CA4 rectifier tube and reviewed it very favourably in that configuration.
Last year I swapped the stock valves in my MD 109 FM tuner for Phillips and Mullard Nos valves which has been a great success hence my intention to do the same with the EQ 500.
I got those valves from The Tube Depot in the US and the service was very good. I would welcome any recommendations from other valve users of suppliers they use, or have used, in Europe or the USA as with the exception of the tuner I am all SS.
The EQ 500 will be mated with a Vitus 030, SME 20/3 SME V and an Etsuro Bordeaux so should be a good vinyl set up.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I found the review by Richard Mak on the Luxman American site very helpful as it is my intention to swap the stock valves for better Nos ones. Richard installed Telefunken 12AX7,12AU7s and an RCA 6CA4 rectifier tube and reviewed it very favourably in that configuration.
Last year I swapped the stock valves in my MD 109 FM tuner for Phillips and Mullard Nos valves which has been a great success hence my intention to do the same with the EQ 500.
I got those valves from The Tube Depot in the US and the service was very good. I would welcome any recommendations from other valve users of suppliers they use, or have used, in Europe or the USA as with the exception of the tuner I am all SS.
The EQ 500 will be mated with a Vitus 030, SME 20/3 SME V and an Etsuro Bordeaux so should be a good vinyl set up.
I could be wrong about this, but I believe the XLR out on the EQ-500 is a convenience output and is not truly balanced/differential. When I had one on audition, it was the same output level, I believe, as the RCA out. In other words, not 6dB higher.

Again, I could be wrong. Perhaps Colin @gestalt could weigh in.

I only mention this in case true balanced is, indeed, a crucial feature for you. Apologies, of course, if I'm wrong. It's been a few months since I had it in my system.

edit: Doing a bit more research, it's maybe a foggy thing. The manual explicitly calls them balanced outputs, but Stereophile measurements say this: "The output level was the same from the Luxman's balanced and unbalanced output jacks." Shouldn't they be 6dB higher if truly balanced?

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I have the EQ500 and really enjoy it in my system. I initially replaced the rectifier with an early 60's NOS Mullard sourced from Brent Jessee. That alone had a notable impact, adding more weight to the sound. I picked up a pair of mid 50's Tele's from TubeWorld Express in WI to replace the 12AU7's but waited to roll them until I could also swap in some Tele 12AX7's as well. I ended up picking up some used (reportedly testing strong) Tele 12AX7's on USAM and proceeded to roll all 6 gain tubes. The result was disappointing, so I started a process of elimination to see which were the offending tubes - turns out they were the 12AX7's. So I'm now running the stock JJ's with Tele 12AU7's and a Mullard rectifier and love the sound - big improvement over stock. I'm in now hurry to replace the JJ 12AX7's but I do suspect that a quality NOS Tele quad would sound stellar.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have the EQ500 and really enjoy it in my system. I initially replaced the rectifier with an early 60's NOS Mullard sourced from Brent Jessee. That alone had a notable impact, adding more weight to the sound. I picked up a pair of mid 50's Tele's from TubeWorld Express in WI to replace the 12AU7's but waited to roll them until I could also swap in some Tele 12AX7's as well. I ended up picking up some used (reportedly testing strong) Tele 12AX7's on USAM and proceeded to roll all 6 gain tubes. The result was disappointing, so I started a process of elimination to see which were the offending tubes - turns out they were the 12AX7's. So I'm now running the stock JJ's with Tele 12AU7's and a Mullard rectifier and love the sound - big improvement over stock. I'm in now hurry to replace the JJ 12AX7's but I do suspect that a quality NOS Tele quad would sound stellar.
Many thanks.
That is helpful

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I could be wrong about this, but I believe the XLR out on the EQ-500 is a convenience output and is not truly balanced/differential. When I had one on audition, it was the same output level, I believe, as the RCA out. In other words, not 6dB higher.

Again, I could be wrong. Perhaps Colin @gestalt could weigh in.

I only mention this in case true balanced is, indeed, a crucial feature for you. Apologies, of course, if I'm wrong. It's been a few months since I had it in my system.

edit: Doing a bit more research, it's maybe a foggy thing. The manual explicitly calls them balanced outputs, but Stereophile measurements say this: "The output level was the same from the Luxman's balanced and unbalanced output jacks." Shouldn't they be 6dB higher if truly balanced?

Thank you for that info.
I need a balanced output more because the i/c I use is a balanced Entreq Apollo Infinity. I am very happy with it hence the need for a balanced output and a convenience one fits the bill.

Reactions: wbass

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The frustrations of being an audiophile!
As I posted earlier I have a Luxman EQ 500 on order which was due in June. Sold my existing one and have taken delivery of the Telefunken Nos tubes recommended by Richard Mak in his review of it.
Told yesterday that it is not likely to be available until September because Luxman are currently unable to get the necessary parts to build it.Consistent,of course, with all the reports of the global shortages of electronic components.
Couldn't face being without my vinyl till then so reached out to my contacts. Found an ex demo Goldnote PH10 plus PSU which is arriving next week to keep me going and which I will sell once the EQ500 arrives.
I presume other manufactures are having the same problem so if you are planning an upgrade it would be wise to check availability first.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing