Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luxman EQ-500

Luxman EQ-500

Hi all!
    it is my first post in WBF, so bear with me :-)
    Im a music lover for almost 30years... and was on A break from GASing audiophile upgrades...
    the bug strike me again and i was back in the "game" a few months ago...

in parallel of me waiting for a new TT+arm order, i placed two weeks ago, i was thinking about flipping my phono pre amp as well.
    i saw and Listened to the new Flagship Luxman EQ500 phono stage locally, and was amazed how incredible it sound!
    i have his SS little brother the E200...so. as much as i like it and think it one of the best and quiet! phono stage around for his price and way up... i couldn't stop lurking for his big tube brother.

I never had A tube phono stage before and stopped by to ask you guys what do you think?
    tube phono stage in general, on the eq500 (if someone familiar with it) specific, and anything else you can lay on my

thank you very much!
    (sorry for my shabby english, it is not my native Lang' of course).

amazing 184 viewers and 0 comments!

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byrdparis View Post
    I'm not surprised.....if it's not the super holy grail of phono pre's or other gear, these threads often get ignored. Trust me, I've made my share of them.

How much is that EQ500?
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

I never had A tube phono stage before and stopped by to ask you guys what do you think?
    I have a tube phono stage built into my preamp, a GRAAF WFB ONE.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...eeds-new-tubes

Tubes and vinyl were meant to go together, better than chocolate and peanut butter.

There is something about the snap/crackle/pop of the surface noise which is deemphasized allowing the bloom of the music to flourish in a natural way.

In the past I've compared it to a couple glasses of wine, you can still hear a little snap/crackle/pop but just don't care.

Tubes are like Vicodin for vinyl.

In general and in a rough approximation, solid state gets the initial snap or beginning of a note, and also does well on the character of the ending of the note, accounting for it's speed-like character. However it lacks the middle of the note bloom or presence of tubes.

The snap/crackle/pop sounds or disruptive noises are all over emphasized with solid state as they live on the leading and dying edges.

There is no body or middle tone to these disruptions (snap/crackle/pop) so tubes cannot magnify their nastiness.

In the end, trust your ears, they will tell you the truth.

Welcome to the forum byrdparis.

EDIT: Holy cow, for $8,000 they better let you home audition it.

http://www.thehighernote.com/blog/20...ay-29-31-2015/
    Name:  LUXMAN-EQ500_PD171Pg1.jpg
Views: 2350
Size:  202.9 KB
    Availability: Late September, 2015

Tentative Pricing: $7,500 – $7,950
    It's so new that I don't think there are any reviews on the unit yet.

Has anyone found any?
    George, Architect
    M/L Aerius + Tubes + Vinyl

Byrdparis, may I offer you a few Internet forum posting tips?

Your fundamental question as I see it was:
    This is the old tubes V's solid state debate, and maybe the thread title should have reflected that somehow, rather than listing a unit so new, nobody knew what the heck it was, or anything about it.

Think of this like fishing, you have to use the right bait, a presentation as it were.
    George, Architect
    M/L Aerius + Tubes + Vinyl

Mark up is nice. They cost $US 3500 in Japan. 430,000 yen.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3, Technics SP10mk3, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas SL, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
    I'm not surprised.....if it's not the super holy grail of phono pre's or other gear, these threads often get ignored. Trust me, I've made my share of them.

How much is that EQ500?
    Hey Jonny!
    ya, i figured, maybe because its a new release - but, i was thinking if anyone will know about such stuff - maybe it will be here
    But i guess not

The eq500 will be 7500$~ around the world (except JP of course... ) give or take customs\vat etc.

I had the opportunity to here the unit on several occasions till now (the Luxman dealer has the unit already) and also trying some tube rolling to add some serious sides to examine it for a real experience and sound wise capability.

First of all it is one hack of machinery! It looks and feel like a monster but not an "ASR 3x BOXes Monster". It got 7 tubes inside – 4 drivers, 2 buffers and a rectifier.
    Tried some mullard, telefunken, amprex, Philips etc. the unit came stock with JJ (eu).
    The telefunken ECC83 with mullard (82) was the cleanest and most define and refine outcome! But every test we did was clear and great on all sides of the spectrum!
    The versatility on it was great, it has 3 inputs and two outputs (one fully balance) – the mc section is a SUT based and now a transistor – it is quiet as a mouse! Something I notice with the lot less expansive e200 unit I have right now from Luxman! (but it’s a SS unit and not a tube phono so its not the same to compare)

The sound is big but not unreal big. It delivers the sound on the recordings like it use to sound, Natural and organic. The tubes really got things to bloom like you guys said and gives slight warm to the sound when its should be.
    We tried to listened two examples on it –
    A Brinkman Bardo with Ikeda 357 and Ikeda 9TS and a Brinkman Bardo with Brinkman 10.5 and a ZYX R1000 airy3 sb… both set ups sound awesome!

On the same note – I live in Israel and we don’t have so much of a variety of phono stages in that caliber to review (we have, but I guess you guys have a lot more).
    I was buying and listen to High end audio for the past 20 years. And listen to some fine examples but now after I bought my Brinkman, it is time to "invest" in a really good phono stage so, the Luxman probably will be it!

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Uk Paul's Avatar
    Hi Byrdparis,

Did you buy the EQ-500? If so, what are your longer term impressions of it?
    Z:Axis Audio

Balanced Power ~ 'Symetrica' by Z:Axis Audio TT Sony TTS 8000 / SAEC WE-506/30 / Nasotec Swing / Aidas PanzerHolz/ My Sonic Lab, Allnic H3000 Phono /KR Audio 'Lampi Anniv 5U4G CD Ayon CD transport / Concert Fidelity DAC 040B/D /Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 Pre / ZL200 Amplifiers / Martin Logan Spire - Extensively modified. Cabling is by Z-Axis Audio, Reference mains leads, 'Reference B52' interconnects, 'Livewire' speaker cables. Mirage equipment support.

Quote Originally Posted by Uk Paul View Post
    Hi Byrdparis,

Did you buy the EQ-500? If so, what are your longer term impressions of it?
    Hi Paul.
    i did bought the eq500 eventually but already flip it since then for a PASS XP25
    the Luxman IS a great phono stage and i am enjoy it a lot when i visit the local Luxman dealer and a few friends that bought it after me.
    it was a little less exciting and dynamic at my place (due to a less fitting with my tubes pre amp) so i turn it back and got the PASS instead.
    the xp25 have everything i wanted! and add some. but - the Luxman is a real eyeopener and its still one of my fav' phono stage around now days (under 10K of course) when paring with a proper electronics.

hope that helps a bit.

BTW - what extensively modifications you did to your ML spire?

Aviad.
    Speakers:Magico Q3 Preamp:E.A.R 912 Amp:Luxman m900
    Cables:Siltech Double Crown Power:Nordost Odin1,Argento master flow
    Digital: Metronome C8/Aurender N10
    TT1TechDAS AF3/Thales Simplicity II/Ortofon RS212D/DV507MK2
    TT2:Torqueo T34 Exclusive Zebrano/ikeda 407
    Carts': Ortofon Anna,Zyx R1000 airy3,VDH Colibri Stradivarius,EMT XSD15,Murasakino Sumile,Koetsu Tsugaru,Top Wing Suzaku,DS W2
    Phono: CH Precision P1 Racks: Solid Tech Rack of silence reference Power treatmentPs Audio P10

Hi Paul.
    i did bought the eq500 eventually but already flip it since then for a PASS XP25
    the Luxman IS a great phono stage and i am enjoy it a lot when i visit the local Luxman dealer and a few friends that bought it after me.
    it was a little less exciting and dynamic at my place (due to a less fitting with my tubes pre amp) so i turn it back and got the PASS instead.
    the xp25 have everything i wanted! and add some. but - the Luxman is a real eyeopener and its still one of my fav' phono stage around now days (under 10K of course) when paring with a proper electronics.

hope that helps a bit.

BTW - what extensively modifications you did to your ML spire?

Aviad.

Congrats, the Pass XP-25 is a great phono stage. I owned one til just recently.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3, Technics SP10mk3, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas SL, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast