Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ VX-5 Twenty experience?

Kuoppis

Mar 27, 2015
Düsseldorf/Germany
Hi,

I completed my VX-5 Twenty upgrade recently and switched from the already good K-5 xe MP to the KX-5 Twenty and would be interested in anyone else's experiences.

Here's what I heard:

I received the upgraded VX-5 Twenty back from Ayre sometime ago and the results are very, very good. While both Twenties are not even fully played-in yet I am already enjoying them a lots. Having owned a bit of gear in the past and heard a lots of it, I can now wholeheartedly recommend the Ayre Five Series Twenties. The difference compared to pre-upgrade is rather significant.

What happened to me, was that I upgraded my preamp first from the mellifluous K-5 xe MP to the bigger brother KX-5 Twenty, running it with the VX-5 in a first step. As a matter of fact, I was not entirely happy with the pairing. I felt the slightly warmer K-5 xe MP was a better pairing with VX-5.

Then over summer I got the upgrade slot from Ayre and was able to send in my power amp for the Twenty treatment as well. I received it back some time ago and it has not yet ran the 500 hours break-in you need with Ayre gear. Results are however already kicking in, big time.

I have a pair of pretty neutral Magico S3s I run with the Ayres and never thought any amp would ellicit such a pallette of colours, solid bass and wonderful tonality from the Magicos. While details were good pre-upgrade, paired with a stronger and deeper bass, richer tonality and the microdetails both the amps and speakers can do I am pretty much blown away. It is now so clear that the speakers just pass through how good your amplification is or even insn't. This is now a very strong match.

I am pretty much a Jazz and Rock guy and like small ensemble, artistic voices etc. But with the Twenty upgrades in da house, I just cannot stop listening to classic, as the set really amazes me. The richness of piano and violins are just mind blowing. I am now able to take full advantage of the speakers' potential, which in hindsight, earlier I was obviously not. The Twenty upgrade also provides the VX-5 with a significant bass improvement (heft, depth).

Coming back to my pre-upgrade experience, I now understand and hear the KX-5 Twenty being a significant step-up from the still 'Stereophile Recommended Component' rated K-5 xe MP preamp, in terms of micro details, airiness and, microdetail and resolution. Pre-upgrade the the VX-5 was just not able to get the most out of it I think.

I think I have said this before, but talking about the VX-5 Twenty, in a summary, I feel like I sent in some hi-fi for upgrade to Ayre and got some hi-end back.

Any similar or other experiences?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing