Roast Chicken

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I probably eat chicken in some form twice or sometimes 3 times per week. I've also included much more fish in my diet and have foregone red meat as much as possible. Roast chicken in the oven is a favourite as we always have some leftovers, which can be used to create other dishes and the carcass saved for stock.

Through the years I've tried all sorts of ways to make chicken, including on a bed of veggies, on the rotisserie, even in a slow cooker once (awful). I've experimented with various spices, using olive oil, basting it and the story goes on. None of these efforts ever resulted in a consistent outcome (at least not one I was happy with), so I decided to keep things simple and only use 3 ingredients.....butter, salt and pepper. Every time I've done so the chicken was exactly the same as previous attempts.

This is what I do for a standard size chicken:

(clean chicken under cold running water first and pat completely dry inside and out)

1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Rub the entire body of the chicken with a liberal amount of butter.
3. Generously sprinkle both salt & pepper.
4. Place chicken on a rack within a roasting pan and add a few cups of water.
5. Place into oven on centre shelf(rack) and reduce heat to 400°F.
6. Set timer for 1 hour.

Leave it and forget about it. DO NOT BASTE. If you baste it the skin will not get crispy.

The skin will be crisp and the meat will be moist, yet fully cooked through.

Roasted Chicken.JPG

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Looks good but with turkey day coming up I tend to avoid poultry that week.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for sharing. One thing I do, is cut a slit near the top of each breast, and insert butter patties into the bird, under the skin, to get some of that butter into the bird.
In the past I always inserted butter under the skin wherever I could, but I've found this method doesn't require it. So I just make sure the butter is liberally applied all over and it does the trick.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I use a similar method, with the butter on the outside and also rub the cavity inside with salt and pepper. Then place some of the butter inside the bird along with lemon sliced in half, lime the same, and onion, fresh garlic, and rosemary. The chicken will be very moist and almost fall off of the bone.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Looks great all alone. I usually add some Rosemary and some of those baby red potatoess.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Johnny, I like chicken too (only organic or kosher) and eat it in one form or another about 5 meals a week. It's tasty low fat protein. Your simple recipe is my favorite, although I use a bit of avocado oil instead of butter to coat the skin because it goes on smoothly and easily. I also go along with gregadd and add rosemary on the side. I lightly coat the rosemary with avocado oil (almost tasteless and doesn't smoke up to 500 degF compared to olive oil whose flavor I don't like at all) and let it roast along with the chicken. When it is done, the rosemary stalks and needles are crisp and crunchy.

I'll take chicken over turkey any day--even Thanksgiving. I'm not a fan of turkey. It only tastes good right out of the oven when it is cooked. The second day something happens to it and it tastes and smells gamey. Our guests this year are going to have to enjoy rack of lamb because we're NOT making a turkey!

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'll take chicken over turkey any day--even Thanksgiving. I'm not a fan of turkey. It only tastes good right out of the oven when it is cooked. The second day something happens to it and it tastes and smells gamey.
That is true except I cooked one in my ceramic barbecue smoker with some Alder. It almost completely stopped the turkey from having that gamey smell and taste the next day! The smoke either covers or prevents that from happening.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I love smoked foods, but Gail won't let me get a smoker because she says I'll get cancer!

I have tried doing favors of various sorts, but she won't relent.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Thank you for the link. I'll have to work on her.

I know the lower temperature is beneficial, but the smoke itself is said to be a problem.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I'll take chicken over turkey any day--even Thanksgiving. I'm not a fan of turkey. It only tastes good right out of the oven when it is cooked. The second day something happens to it and it tastes and smells gamey.

That is true except I cooked one in my ceramic barbecue smoker with some Alder. It almost completely stopped the turkey from having that gamey smell and taste the next day! The smoke either covers or prevents that from happening.
I must admit I find this quite bizarre. I'm sure the smoking process is masking what you are sensitive too.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I use olive oil inststed of butter.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
^^^^ That's awesome looking bird my friend! :D

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Yes it was. Probably the best chicken I ever ate :)

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Brine

I smoked this grain fed organic chicken from the local farmer for 4 hours in my smoker with hickory. Mmmmm unreal!!:)

You are extremely fortunate to have your local farmer. Almost all chicken sold in stores [including organic] is extensively brined [salted] to minimize harmful organisms. The downside = Extreme Salt.
Best to you,
zz.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We have a fantastic local breeder of Lamb. Best lamb we have ever tasted (we buy a whole one once a year). But when we tried one of many locally bred chickens, it was chewing and lousy tasting. Love to find one like our Lamb supplier.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The best chicken sandwich I ever had was from a small stand in Quincy Market, Boston. Can't recall the name. But really missing it thinking about it.

Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing