Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Thanks Dale. Where do these headphones sit in the Beyerdynamic lineup? I thought that the T1 was supposed to be their flagship headphone and HD800 competitor. I may be wrong of course.

I have heard the T1's, and I am considering buying its closed brother, the T5P. How does this compare to the T1?

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Thanks Dale. Where do these headphones sit in the Beyerdynamic lineup? I thought that the T1 was supposed to be their flagship headphone and HD800 competitor. I may be wrong of course. I have heard the T1's, and I am considering buying its closed brother, the T5P. How does this compare to the T1?

The original T1 may be a good bet, especially at the new price. I find it a bit bright, but the quality of the sound is really high. I've been reading about the new T1, and so far it's not good. But they say the original T1 went through many revisions, so who knows? The T5p has been on my radar for a long time, and from everything I've read, the sound of this new DT1770 Tesla 2.0 should be as good or better. Maybe wait for a new T5p. Beyer has made Teslas as small as the DT1350 and T51p, but there the colorations are way bigger than their full-size headphones. The new DT1770 is the most neutral Beyer I've heard so far, and given it's Tesla 2.0, it may be the best thing they have now.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Followup: I got a 1.5m replacement cable (Cardas) made for my DT1770 Pro by Charleston Cable Company, who build custom cables from quality name-brand stock. My requirement wasn't to change the sound, but rather to make it more convenient to carry around. Nevertheless, the sound changed slightly as follows: The midrange gained a little in openness and clarity, the highs above 10 khz became more extended without changing the treble balance, and the bass tightened up without losing strength and impact. I listen to a lot of jazz with upright bass playing, and the tonality and realism of those plucked strings is better than anything I've heard in memory, including this year's sessions with the Audeze LCD2 planar headphone.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Thanks for this - I'm on the look out for a closed can for classical and jazz so your post is extremely helpful.

Good to hear. I've been listening to quite a bit of classical music too - Handel, Bruch, Barber, Grieg, .... lots more. All good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing