Philips Pasta Maker

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We have the extruder for our mixer nd the hand crank ones. We also have a machine too. They are all challenging to use because you have to get the moisture level just right. Too dry and you can damage the machine potentially and too wet of course doesn't work either. And then there is the cleaning of extrusion machines....

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We have the extruder for our mixer nd the hand crank ones. We also have a machine too. They are all challenging to use because you have to get the moisture level just right. Too dry and you can damage the machine potentially and too wet of course doesn't work either. And then there is the cleaning of extrusion machines....
Yes, I understand that. I was wondering about it's overall ease-of-use and reliability.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Pasta is just noodles/formed wet flour.

I'll never understand their attraction or why people go to such lengths to make what you can buy so easily and cheaply in the store.

The sauce is what gives it flavor and is the actual star of the dish and you can put that on many other things that are much more nutritious.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I'll never understand their attraction or why people go to such lengths to make what you can buy so easily and cheaply in the store.

Baaah Humbug :)

Fresh pasta always tastes so much better

We have been using a pasta machine for well over 20 years and my wife is an expert at making all different kinds. I agree about the too wet or too dry

Best way to clean the extruder head is to put it in the freezer and remove when frozen and tap it in your sink and the frozen pasta will fall out

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

They are really different foods. Fresh pasta melts in your mouth. Dry pasta can have that nice chewiness.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Baaah Humbug :)

Fresh pasta always tastes so much better

We have been using a pasta machine for well over 20 years and my wife is an expert at making all different kinds. I agree about the too wet or too dry

Best way to clean the extruder head is to put it in the freezer and remove when frozen and tap it in your sink and the frozen pasta will fall out

I agree Steve! Nothing better than fresh pasta! I've made it with the manual pasta machines, but if I can reduce the time and effort I'd be very interested. Hence my consideration for this unit. I absolutely love pasta, so it would certainly get a workout!

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com

The sauce is what gives it flavor and is the actual star of the dish and you can put that on many other things that are much more nutritious.

Not really, Gary. If you ask an Italian, it is the pasta that is the actual star of the dish.

I admit that out of reason of laziness, 95% of the pasta I eat is the store bought dried variety. But every now and then I do make my own pasta (I have a pasta roller, not an extruder). The advantage of fresh pasta is that you have real egg in it.

Amir, if your fresh pasta melts in your mouth, you have overcooked it :) Whether fresh or dry, pasta should be al dente.

To get al dente fresh pasta, I borrow a trick from the Italians and one from modernist chefs. After making the pasta, I hang it to dry for 12 hours. The other tip is to make the pasta with 0.5% xanthan gum by weight (i.e. for every 100g flour, add 0.5g xanthan gum). I also boil the pasta in as little water as I can get away with for two reasons - (1) it is more economical on salt, and (2) the cooking water will have a stronger pasta flavour and can be added back to the cooked pasta to loosen it up. I have even boiled the pasta in so little water that by the end of cooking, no water is left - if you do this, you will end up with very flavourful pasta but it may be a little gummy for some.

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
I have that one. Works great. Easily cleaned and dependable. Somewhat slow, but not too bad. I recommend it. - cpr

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not really, Gary. If you ask an Italian, it is the pasta that is the actual star of the dish.

I admit that out of reason of laziness, 95% of the pasta I eat is the store bought dried variety. But every now and then I do make my own pasta (I have a pasta roller, not an extruder). The advantage of fresh pasta is that you have real egg in it.

Amir, if your fresh pasta melts in your mouth, you have overcooked it :) Whether fresh or dry, pasta should be al dente.

To get al dente fresh pasta, I borrow a trick from the Italians and one from modernist chefs. After making the pasta, I hang it to dry for 12 hours. The other tip is to make the pasta with 0.5% xanthan gum by weight (i.e. for every 100g flour, add 0.5g xanthan gum). I also boil the pasta in as little water as I can get away with for two reasons - (1) it is more economical on salt, and (2) the cooking water will have a stronger pasta flavour and can be added back to the cooked pasta to loosen it up. I have even boiled the pasta in so little water that by the end of cooking, no water is left - if you do this, you will end up with very flavourful pasta but it may be a little gummy for some.

Exactly. It's the same with sushi where sushi is about the rice.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
This is the same thing as saying all amps consist of a chassis, resistor, capacitors and speaker terminals. It's how you put them together that matters to some. Best pasta I have ever eaten was made entirely by hand including the cutting and shaping. Now that's just not practical for most. I haven't used that machine but for an electric pasta maker, ease of cleaning the parts is high on my list.

Also, just as in audio discourse, many people can discuss in length about the advantages of one type/grade of flour over the other!

Beau

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have that one. Works great. Easily cleaned and dependable. Somewhat slow, but not too bad. I recommend it. - cpr
That's most encouraging to read! :) Thanks for your input chrisr.
FWIW, I decided my wife needed a new pasta maker so going to school on John's putt, I ordered the Philip's pasta maker
Cool! Please let me know your impressions when you have time.:)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Also, just as in audio discourse, many people can discuss in length about the advantages of one type/grade of flour over the other!

Beau
Indeed, there is a school of thought that says pressing the pasta through extrusion ruins it vs cutting by hand. In other words, what "pressing" you use matters! :D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That's most encouraging to read! :) Thanks for your input chrisr.

Cool! Please let me know your impressions when you have time.:)

by way of followup we have been using the Philip's Pasta Maker for almost a month and it performs far better than our old unit. The one thing that is wonderful about this unit is it is absolutely quiet during the extrusion process.

We have had no problems with it. and I am not so sure I would call it slow

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Looks like a great unit. I might have to buy one. Hopefully this thread won't turn into a dry vs fresh pasta debate :)

I was thinking about picking up one of these for the kitchen, however the Philips unit looks like a more cost effective approach.

http://www.italgi.it/e-micra.htm

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Indeed, there is a school of thought that says pressing the pasta through extrusion ruins it vs cutting by hand. In other words, what "pressing" you use matters! :D
Or in music often it is the notes that are not played.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing