The Sound of Live Music

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This thread is about the sound of live music, describing what is heard from an audiophile perception and how it compares to reproduction at home. I would encourage others to also share their impressions of live sound as well. Let me start with a recent experience.

Usually my live concert diet consists of classical and classical avantgarde, but a few days ago, after a long time, I went to a jazz concert again. The afternoon concert in the Boston area, more specifically in Cambridge, Mass., was in memoriam for local guitarist Garrison Fewell who had passed away recently. It was a great concert. After two or three more 'normal' pieces the concert quickly went 'far out' into avantgarde territory, often to exhilarating effect. As I had already expected from what I heard on a CD of Garrison Fewell, the musicianship of the local players was through the roof, just incredible (long live Boston!). At one point there was a 'duel' between two trumpets that was quite something. At the end I got to talk with some of the musicians which was enjoyable too.

Now a few impressions on the sound. Please keep in mind that these are my personal impressions; if you would have heard the same thing you might disagree on some of my findings -- perception is everything.

At first I sat about 20-25 feet away from most of the performers, a bit further from the percussionist. That was in row 4 or 5 while I might instinctively have preferred to sit closer, but I had already anticipated that it could become very loud, and this was the first line of defense for my ears (the second one was further back, see below). The hall was small, of perhaps 80 x 60 x 30 feet dimensions. The only amplified instrument was guitar, with the amplification on its strings (no mike), and in a few pieces a cello, but that instrument did not play with full band.

Acoustic bass: I hadn't heard plucked stand-up bass live in years, but my recollection was right that it sounded a bit 'fat', or 'resonant'. It's just not a super-fast and tight sound in the low frequencies (although very clean in its own way), and at home I don't mind it having a tiny bit of overhang at my subwoofer setting, an overhang that I also hear live (electric bass tends to sound 'faster' in my perception, and my system is capable of very fast bass on rock music, and in general on drums). On the other hand, as others also have observed, stand-up bass in a live situation is not that prominent in the overall contribution to the sound of a band; perhaps on recordings it's simply mixed more to the foreground, but I just don't think turning down the bass frequencies 'solves the problem', because it somewhat diminishes the true character of the instrument's sound.

Drums and percussion: I knew that a rock drum kit has enormous impact, but I was surprised to hear a lot of the same impact from the 'lighter' jazz drums. Every beat on those drums, especially snare drums, just had this enormous amount of energy, and the sound had a ton of transient 'speed'. None of the systems I have heard, including mine, comes close to reproducing this impact. I was quite surprised how dull the cymbals sounded in this jazz percussion kit; I had thought they would have more sparkle, sheen and air (another drum kit by another percussionist also playing in the concert had a bit brighter cymbal sounds, but not by a lot). I had suspected that my system underplayed the timbre of jazz cymbals somewhat, but that seems not to be the case. On the other hand, some of the sounds from small-sized hi-hats were quite sharp and startling. Also here my system seems more correct than I thought; I had had the impression that in this case it overplayed the timbre on these sounds a bit towards the 'hot' side (I have a few of them on one of the recent avantgarde jazz CDs), but I heard very similar sounds live in this concert.

Brass: Trurnpet sound had a good amount of air, with a palpable, propulsive physicality to the sound on transients as thus far I had not heard yet on any system. Interestingly, while tenor sax also sounded full, there was no air to the sound, even though on other occasions live I did hear it having air. The greater air on vinyl over digital corresponds better to my previous live experiences of the instrument, just recently when walking by a tenor sax playing on the street at Halloween in Salem, Massachusetts. Yet after the experience in this concert I am starting to wonder if perhaps the lack of air in the sound that I hear even on my best CD in terms of saxophone sound (an avantgarde jazz CD that I bought recently) is simply a reflection of how the instrument sounded in the studio. Trumpet often does have quite a bit of air on my digital replay.

There was a good amount of hardness especially to trumpet sound, but that hardness was initially very 'open', not congested. Yet once the band played really loud, the sound became just plain distorted almost like a cheap transistor radio; one major reason may have been that the small hall could not take it anymore, it was overloaded by the sound pressure. And yes, this sound might have been perceived as 'congested'. The distortions reminded me of my concert experience in Austria in May, when I sat quite close to a large orchestra and at the loudest peaks the sound also became distorted, even though on a less extreme level and in a less 'congested' manner. At a recent event at Goodwin's where Linn demonstrated digital room correction I had mentioned the distortions to the sales manager from Linn, who also had recording experience, and he said that the air pressure in a trumpet is so high that it basically 'shreds' the sound waves. He said, try standing 5 feet away from the instrument! On the flip side of the coin, I have also heard very smooth brass, but only in a very smooth sounding venue and from a distance.

As the ensemble became bigger during the course of the concert, I switched seating from about 20 feet distance from the musicians to about double that, 40 feet, at a few rows further back in the middle of the hall, in order to protect my ears. Yet even then the sound became really loud. I didn't have my SPL meter with me, but I would estimate that 100 dB was reached routinely, and that during the really loud passages levels of ca. 110 dB must not have been rare. I would not be surprised if at the loudest moments 110 dB were even surpassed (it seemed even louder than at the greatest climaxes of the large orchestra up close in Austria, but obviously there the hall was just much larger). I did not have ringing in my ears, however, just a tiny bit of pressure in my ears noticeable when I came back into the quiet of my home (after my dog's brief barking had subsided, that is). I did not listen to music for the rest of the evening -- I came back early since it was an afternoon concert -- because I had already spent all the allotted duration of high-level sound exposure, and more, for the day.

The experience has confirmed to me once more that midrange hardness is a feature of many live situations, and that if you hear it on a system, it may not be a sign of weakness, but rather a simple reflection of how it really sounds. Given the distortions that I heard, as to a lesser extent in Austria and on other occasions, the experience also has emphasized my already existing suspicion that the hunt for 'clean' sound may not necessarily always be the most desirable thing. Yes, a string quartet should sound clean on a system, except perhaps on a close-up recording with the roughest bowing in dissonant passages, but the idea that even brass should always sound 'clean' may not be realistic.

In terms of impact, I discovered that it's also a matter of sheer sound volume. Above I had written: "Trurnpet sound had a good amount of air, with a palpable, propulsive physicality to the sound on transients as thus far I had not heard yet on any system." Well, one day after the concert I turned up the volume on just unmuted trumpet (with some light accompaniment by stand-up bass and drums) much higher than at the level I normally listen, to a level close to the concert (I think then it was even louder). The music played with peaks of 96 dBA, and it turns out that at this volume level my system could reproduce quite a bit of that sheer propulsion of sound in the trumpet, even though not completely so. It also can reproduce the fullness of trumpet sound to a very high degree. I never had expected that. Yet at that setting the system would play well above 100 dBA with full band. Even if my the system could safely play at that level, which it cannot, I would not want to expose my ears to that kind of sound pressure outside of a live concert. After all, I still intend to enjoy good sound also when I am 80 and beyond, if I live to that age. I usually listen at 85-90 dBA, with some peaks, mostly on orchestral material, at 95 dBA (max. 97 dBA), following NIOSH recommendations of maximum exposure per day and in absolute terms. That already seems to be pretty loud in many cases; on several occasions people listening to my system have asked me to turn down the volume.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Good post!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Great Post! Al..

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
This thread is about the sound of live music, describing what is heard from an audiophile perception and how it compares to reproduction at home. I would encourage others to also share their impressions of live sound as well. Let me start with a recent experience.

<snip>

In terms of impact, I discovered that it's also a matter of sheer sound volume. Above I had written: "Trurnpet sound had a good amount of air, with a palpable, propulsive physicality to the sound on transients as thus far I had not heard yet on any system." Well, one day after the concert I turned up the volume on just unmuted trumpet (with some light accompaniment by stand-up bass and drums) much higher than at the level I normally listen, to a level close to the concert (I think then it was even louder). The music played with peaks of 96 dBA, and it turns out that at this volume level my system could reproduce quite a bit of that sheer propulsion of sound in the trumpet, even though not completely so. It also can reproduce the fullness of trumpet sound to a very high degree. I never had expected that. Yet at that setting the system would play well above 100 dBA with full band. Even if my the system could safely play at that level, which it cannot, I would not want to expose my ears to that kind of sound pressure outside of a live concert. After all, I still intend to enjoy good sound also when I am 80 and beyond, if I live to that age. I usually listen at 85-90 dBA, with some peaks, mostly on orchestral material, at 95 dBA (max. 97 dBA), following NIOSH recommendations of maximum exposure per day and in absolute terms. That already seems to be pretty loud in many cases; on several occasions people listening to my system have asked me to turn down the volume.

Most people will NEVER achieve the sound of real live instruments in their home (even of simple things like string quartets, solo trumpeters or flutists) because (a) their systems are incapable of playing at realistic volumes and (b) because realistic volumes for extended periods are damaging to the ear.

BTW, it is important to note the FREQUENCY (Hz) of the deciBel peaks because 120 dB of deep base will merely seem loud, while 120 dB of midrange will quickly damage the ear.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Most people will NEVER achieve the sound of real live instruments in their home (even of simple things like string quartets, solo trumpeters or flutists) because (a) their systems are incapable of playing at realistic volumes and (b) because realistic volumes for extended periods are damaging to the ear.

Yes, it is quite astonishing how loud live music can be. But it is very dependent on a) the size of the venue, b) the distance from the musicians.

For example, I once heard a string quartet in a large living room and it was very loud, up to 90 dB and beyond. Similar peak levels were reached sitting close to the stage in a concert in The Lilipad in Cambridge, Mass., a small venue for 90 seats with low ceiling. On the other hand, just two days ago I went to a string quartet concert in a mid-sized hall (Tsai Performance Center in Boston), sitting about 25-30 feet from the performers (relatively very close), and there is virtually no chance that the sound level ever exceeded 80 dB; I wouldn't be surprised if 75 dB was the maximum (you could basically hear the sound diffusing into the large acoustic). Peter A. and I recently went to a string quartet concert in the auditorium of his daughter's school, also sitting quite close, and the sound was in the same loudness range as well, surprisingly quiet that is. On the other hand, we both attended a concert for cello and piano in a large living room in Boston (Ayer Mansion), and peaks were routinely around 100 dB -- it was just really, really loud. Amazing what enormous sound energy was produced by just these two instruments in that room. Personally, I like to listen to string quartets quite loud, as if they were in my living room, just as you do.

As for flute, I have heard it in mid-sized halls too, and it was relatively quiet (70-75 dB I would guess). On the other hand, I once heard a woodwind quartet, in the same concert in The Lilipad where I heard the string quartet (see above) and the sound easily hovered around the 100 dB mark much of the time -- and the flute was prominent in the mix.

BTW, it is important to note the FREQUENCY (Hz) of the deciBel peaks because 120 dB of deep base will merely seem loud, while 120 dB of midrange will quickly damage the ear.

Yes, important indeed. Most damaging are the high frequencies. Fortunately, ear protectors are most efficient precisely for those high frequencies.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
My daughter is a flutist, and when she practices, her flute or piccolo, she wears ear protection.

As you said the size of the venue makes a notable difference in the volume. Back when she was in high school, the volume in her bedroom (which was pretty large and carpeted) when she practiced was loud with the flute even on relatively soft passages, but was deafening with the piccolo any time she blew the instrument. In contrast, as you mentioned, the flute gains it's softness in a very large room while the piccolo is always a dominant sounding instrument.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
In another forum the volume of drums was measured. It's no surprise that drummers not wearing ear protection become hard of hearing.

At drummer ears:

21" ride = 102 db
21" ride (bell) = 112 db
Bass drum = 105 db
Toms = 110 db
Snare 5x14 single roll all rimshot 120 db
Snare (maximum rimshot) 125 db
16" crash = 111 db
14" hats (maximum/open) = 117 db
18" china (maximum) 118 db

Interesting fact:

Quiet groove: drummer ears 105 db - 5 feet 100 db - 25 feet 96 db
medium groove: drummer ears 110 db - 5 feet 105 db - 25 feet 102 db
Solid groove: drummer ears 115 db - 5 feet 110 db - 25 feet 108 db
Maximum (snare): drummer ears 125 db - 5 feet 120 db - 25 feet 116 db

All measurements were taken with the Metrosonics DB-2100 digital SPL meter.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Very nice post, Al. It picks up on another thread on the Vox Olympian system that I have been discussing.

Your observations with string bass and trumpet are absolutely in line with mine. In my recent Positive Feedback article on the Golden Gate, you'll see that I discuss that unrealistically fast and controlled bass response that we can get accustomed to - it certainly sounds entertaining and exciting for sure but not faithful to the live event.

Brass is hard to get right (I am a trombonist) and often at high levels can sound very punchy and even hard on the ear. I think it easy for us audiophiles to forget sometimes that instruments don't always sound "nice / easy" on the ear.

Just to add to the debate, I am yet to be convinced of the timbral fidelity of strings on digital - my golden gate does the best job I have heard on digital but nothing compares to my vinyl replay for this (other than tape).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I average a classical concert a week. Attended a baroque one yesterday, and going for Mahler 1 on Wednesday. Also have another Baroque next week. I take measurements on orchestral performances, and they reach 95 - 105 at peaks, though I can't monitor them easily as taking out the DB meter on the phone maddens those sitting next to me. One actually thought I was recording something.

Midrange hardness is fine as long it's real. You can get hardness which is unreal. Hardness also differs among type of music and concert halls. The operas at Royal Opera House and London colosseum are never hard, and the sound that reproduces baroque and such operas the best is valves on panels. Trumpets in Barbican are pretty hard. The tone of the London Symphonic Orchestra in Barbican is much richer and fuller than the orchestras I have heard at Southbank.

Where more brass and orchestral dynamics are involved, I find the the brass tone and the bass impacts and transients the toughest to produce. Horns do brass tone the best, and speakers strong in the midbass, like Vivd Giya. In panels Analysis is very good. For transients and bass and scale I find the trios with bass horns the best.

I agree with Bill, tone of violins and brass is best on vinyl, followed by Lampi. Good DSD on Lampi is especially good. Shun Mook diamond resonators add a lot to the realism in tone

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Very nice post, Al. It picks up on another thread on the Vox Olympian system that I have been discussing.

Your observations with string bass and trumpet are absolutely in line with mine. In my recent Positive Feedback article on the Golden Gate, you'll see that I discuss that unrealistically fast and controlled bass response that we can get accustomed to - it certainly sounds entertaining and exciting for sure but not faithful to the live event.

Brass is hard to get right (I am a trombonist) and often at high levels can sound very punchy and even hard on the ear. I think it easy for us audiophiles to forget sometimes that instruments don't always sound "nice / easy" on the ear.

We agree on all points, Bill. Yes, a 'nice' and 'easy' sound may be relaxing, but the sound of live music seldom is. The search for a 'relaxing' sound may be intoxicating, but perhaps less realistic. However, I think we need to make a distinction between sounding '"forced" and sounding "hard". A system should sound rather effortless, i.e. not forced, but that does not mean it cannot sound "hard" -- and it should when asked for.

To illustrate the difference, here is what happened at the upgrade of my tube amps with Borderpatrol external power supplies. The sound became much more effortless and less forced, thus coming closer to live sound, but thankfully the midrange hardness, particularly on brass, remained (while the system can also sound 'soft' when asked or, like often on strings). I do perceive this hardness on brass (not on all recordings) also reflects what I hear live, and I am wary of systems that, unlike mine, tend to 'beautify' the sound.

Similarly, especially early digital could sound strained, not effortless at all, on brass (and on strings and everything else, for that matter). This was because of electronic artifacts of digital harshness. But once this artificial harshness is stripped away, as it is on most high-quality digital playback these days, it turns out that digital has this ease of accurately presenting the natural hardness of brass (and other instruments, including human operatic voices when the situation/acoustic asks for it). I hear this accurate presentation of natural hardness from digital more often than from vinyl. Yet the very best turntables, on the best pressings of great recordings (pressing quality is critical), can reproduce this aspect of sound just as well. Brass has this bite, except on a distance in the smoothest sounding venues.

]Just to add to the debate, I am yet to be convinced of the timbral fidelity of strings on digital - my golden gate does the best job I have heard on digital but nothing compares to my vinyl replay for this (other than tape).

Yes, I agree with you on this as well. While I have to caution that I have not yet heard the very best digital, the best vinyl is just simply superior on strings -- especially massed strings -- to the digital that I am most familiar with, which is of course mine. I am a digital-only guy, but I have no problems conceding the superiority of vinyl in this respect. I listen to what my ears tell me, not to my biases towards source preferences. In Madfloyd's system, with his Kronos Pro turntable, the Black Beauty tonearm and the ZYX Universe Premium cartridge, orchestral strings, especially violins, on great recordings sound incredibly good, with this mix of silky sheen, air in the sound yet also good and substantial body that is just so hard to get right. It's still not quite the Real Thing, but boy, does the illusion come close on the best recordings/pressings.

Having said that, digital replay has come a long way on this from its early days (and I am very happy with the improvements that my current Berkeley Alpha DAC 2 has brought to my system), but yes, this difference remains.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Midrange hardness is fine as long it's real. You can get hardness which is unreal. Hardness also differs among type of music and concert halls. The operas at Royal Opera House and London colosseum are never hard, and the sound that reproduces baroque and such operas the best is valves on panels. Trumpets in Barbican are pretty hard. The tone of the London Symphonic Orchestra in Barbican is much richer and fuller than the orchestras I have heard at Southbank.

Indeed, it very much depends on the venue (and again, the distance from the performers as well).

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Yes, very well written review, Bill. I wish other reviewers would have as much experience with live music and would incorporate that into their writing.

As for tautness of bass, I am glad that my Berkeley DAC gets it right even though it is fully solid state (you mention the performance of the tubed Golden Gate vs. many solid state topologies). The right amount of 'looseness' in plucked stand-up bass, but taut and fast bass on rock when asked for. In addition, fantastic rhythm & timing that in my view can compete with the best turntables. In this area early digital replay has always been problematic, unable to achieve the natural, effortless 'foot-tapping' quality that even modest vinyl possesses. The Berkeley DAC is the first DAC that I have owned that gets rhythm & timing right (and I have had four digital replay systems before that).

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
Good observations.

I would even go as far as to claim that live events and reproducing recorded music at home are two completely different artistic ventures which do not have to have much in common.
And, I might add, would you really want to have such a live performance in your listening room every day? I know I wouldn't. I consider HiFi an art in its on right.

Cheers
Chris

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Great observations. Are you sure, however, that the guitar was the only amplified instrument? If a full drum kit is being played with sticks, not brushes, it's hard to hear any detail from a standup bass on stage, much less 40 feet away. I'd bet that bass had a pickup in it. And if 40 feet was halfway back in the hall, I wouldn't be surprised if the drum kit itself was mic'd. Horns are loud, but most sound engineers would put a couple of mics on stage to pick them up in a room that size.

Tim

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Great observations.

Thanks.

Are you sure, however, that the guitar was the only amplified instrument?

Positive.

If a full drum kit is being played with sticks, not brushes, it's hard to hear any detail from a standup bass on stage, much less 40 feet away.

Yes, as I said at 20-25 feet away the bass was not prominent in the mix, and at 40 feet it was indeed even harder to hear.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Live music can and does sound very different form venue to venue. I was invited to stand in at a 'live' gig recently. The venue was small...probably about 30' x 15' and leading into another room. A full drum kit, electric bass, my guitar mic'ed to the PA system, another guitar with a small 1x12 combo, and an electric keyboard ( Yamaha) with it's own amplification. The sound was from my point on the floor extremely loud...mainly from the drums!! So much so, that it was bothering me and I cannot imagine how it sounded to the audience. Nonetheless, the impact of the drums and the rest of the gear was impressive...no system I have ever heard comes close to that.
OTOH, I attended a concert band audition in a medium size hall a few days ago, that was a great example of how even a kettle drum when hit can make an impact, but not really be obnoxious to the ear. Take the same kettle drum and put it into the venue that I stood in at...different story!

So, IMHO....we have a VERY long way to go before we can truly say that the 'live' sound really is indistinguishable from the 'reproduced'. To my ears, even the best sounding rooms and the best gear is nothing but a 'photograph' of the 'live' event. Easily distinguishable.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Similarly, especially early digital could sound strained, not effortless at all, on brass (and on strings and everything else, for that matter). This was because of electronic artifacts of digital harshness. But once this artificial harshness is stripped away, as it is on most high-quality digital playback these days, it turns out that digital has this ease of accurately presenting the natural hardness of brass (and other instruments, including human operatic voices when the situation/acoustic asks for it). I hear this accurate presentation of natural hardness from digital more often than from vinyl. Yet the very best turntables, on the best pressings of great recordings (pressing quality is critical), can reproduce this aspect of sound just as well. Brass has this bite, except on a distance in the smoothest sounding venues.

O.k., given my experience two days ago with Madfloyd's system using a new phonostage I have modified my opinion on brass bite. The best vinyl not only easily competes with digital on this, but also represents brass bite in a more convincing manner, at least compared to the best digital that I have heard (which is not the very best):

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17764-Madfloyd-s-System/page16

(2nd post on page)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Live music can and does sound very different form venue to venue. I was invited to stand in at a 'live' gig recently. The venue was small...probably about 30' x 15' and leading into another room. A full drum kit, electric bass, my guitar mic'ed to the PA system, another guitar with a small 1x12 combo, and an electric keyboard ( Yamaha) with it's own amplification. The sound was from my point on the floor extremely loud...mainly from the drums!! So much so, that it was bothering me and I cannot imagine how it sounded to the audience. Nonetheless, the impact of the drums and the rest of the gear was impressive...no system I have ever heard comes close to that.
OTOH, I attended a concert band audition in a medium size hall a few days ago, that was a great example of how even a kettle drum when hit can make an impact, but not really be obnoxious to the ear. Take the same kettle drum and put it into the venue that I stood in at...different story!

So, IMHO....we have a VERY long way to go before we can truly say that the 'live' sound really is indistinguishable from the 'reproduced'. To my ears, even the best sounding rooms and the best gear is nothing but a 'photograph' of the 'live' event. Easily distinguishable.

Here's the thing about live performance, at least from my POV -- I suppose, if you could achieve good balance without mic-ing guitar amps and bass, keys in the PA, pickups on acoustic instruments, etc., it might sound better from some positions in some rooms. But that balance isn't easy to achieve, and the balance you'll get on stage won't be good. The guitar player on the left won't be able to hear the one on the right very well, etc. And when the musicians can hear each other well, they perform better, so you get a better show.

And once you put all of that through a PA system, all bets are off for reproducing it at home.

Tim

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello

Don't you guys use ear protection when you go to a show. I never go without it just in case. You never know who's running the board. I have had great nights and bad nights in the same venue all dependent on who was running the board that night.

Rob:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing