Some big tubes

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Time for an update. Logged close to 30+ hrs on my new toys.
Mounted the Atlas on the Kairos . Clearly, I am getting superior results with the Atlas on the Kairos compared to the Atlas on the Talea2. In my system and to my ears, the Kairos is a superior arm. More detail, pitch definition and tighter bass.
IMHO, the real hero is not the Kairos or the A95. It's the Lyra Erodion EVO SUT or MC interface as Lyra prefers to call it. On its own the A95 is a great cart but through the Erodion the results are pretty amazing. As the Atlas has a higher output (0.47mV) compared to the A95(0.2mV), the Atlas is plugged into the MC input of the Nagra phono and the A95 into the MM input via the Erodion with the loading set at 47k. Surprisingly, the results with the Atlas into the Erodion are not as good. I would have imagined there would be a natural synergy between two Lyra products. I suspect the Atlas SL or Etna SL may be a better match for the Erodion.
I may have a tough time deciding which cart to keep when the Etna returns.
Pradeep

Very interesting on the Erodion ...

Congrats on your new arm and cartridges !

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Very interesting on the Erodion ...

Congrats on your new arm and cartridges !
Many thanks, John
IIRC, you were using a SUT with one of the inputs on your Nagra VPS. I know we both agree on the merits of the Nagra VPS+MPS, but honestly the internal SUT on the MC input of the VPS is not in the same league as the Lyra Erodion. Not surprising given that the coils on the Nagra are really teeny weeny compared to the Lyra SUT. What I would really like to do some day is to get a 2nd Erodion and mount either a Atlas SL or Etna SL after converting the MC input to a MM input in the Nagra VPS.
Best
Pradeep

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Many thanks, John
IIRC, you were using a SUT with one of the inputs on your Nagra VPS. I know we both agree on the merits of the Nagra VPS+MPS, but honestly the internal SUT on the MC input of the VPS is not in the same league as the Lyra Erodion. Not surprising given that the coils on the Nagra are really teeny weeny compared to the Lyra SUT. What I would really like to do some day is to get a 2nd Erodion and mount either a Atlas SL or Etna SL after converting the MC input to a MM input in the Nagra VPS.
Best
Pradeep

You do remember correctly. I had a EAR MC4 in the Nagra's MM input. I used the MC4 with the Lyra Atlas and my Allaerts MC2 Finish. Both great results. Ultimately I preferred less but better wire direct into the MC input. (I upgraded interconnects so not totally fair)

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Full BN status

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 223

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
The TW AC recently achieved full BN status with the arrival of the copper platter. Looks good and the sonic improvements are not subtle.
A bit of bad audio karma. Managed to smash the cantilever of the A95 cart. Spent Euro 2k to get it refurbished by Ortofon. The power supply of one of the Wavac mono blocs also developed a snag. Got a pair of locally built 35wpc Class A SET mono blocs built around the Russian GM70 tube from my friend Viren Bakshi, the owner/designer/manufacturer of Lyrita. These amps are amazingly good and it's almost spooky how close they are to the vaunted Wavacs. Lamm sells a GM70 based amp for around USD 140k. The Lyritas are a fraction of the cost and will be in residence till the Wavacs return.
Pradeep

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Pics of the Lyrita GM70

image.jpg

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
A carful of carts

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
image.jpg A revamped vinyl setup

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Pradeep,

I've never come across a Madake cartridge. May I request you to share some information on the Madake cartridge? Thanks in advance.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Pradeep,

I've never come across a Madake cartridge. May I request you to share some information on the Madake cartridge? Thanks in advance.
To be honest I had long been intrigued by the bamboo cantilever of the Madake and the favourable reviews. I was on the lookout for a cart to mount on my Garrard 401/Ortofon 309D, something in the <4k USD range and very different from my other carts. Well the Madake and the Etna are like chalk and cheese.
The Madake is clearly outclassed by the Etna. It lacks the bass slam and the authority of the Etna. It has a warmth that is beguiling, like a SET amp. Almost effortless and liquid. Superb with violins, viola and wind instruments but NOT my first choice for rock. It has a 0.2v output and I am using it with an Airtight SUT. I am told it requires nearly 200hrs of breakin and I am probably at the 10 hour mark.
Always happy to expand on the virtues of my toys.
NJoy

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Sam
Many thanks.
Followed with great interest and a bit of envy your audio journey in S.Cal
Best
Pradeep

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Welcome The Lady Anna

The newest member of the family

Attachments

• IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 92

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Thanks. Just sent you a mail

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing