Some big tubes

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Ayon Audio is very different design, haven't heard it but with KT 150 tubes it can go up to 300w in tetrode and 400 in pentode. That's power. On control, the NAT can handle a lower impedance than Ayon. Big Lamms are hybrids, as compared to NAT or Ayon, and depending on 1.1 or 2.2, power and class A vs AB will differ. You can tube roll them. Not to mention that geographical location will make a big difference.

Thanks for all the info and comments; pardon my ignorance,...how does geographical location figure into performance of tube and/or hybrid gear?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for all the info and comments; pardon my ignorance,...how does geographical location figure into performance of tube and/or hybrid gear?

Not from sonic perspective but for such small companies service and distribution if you are not in Europe could be a constraint, unless you have a good tech guy

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Your room is a visual treat, with or without the sofas. I feel so relaxed just looking at the photos.
Many thanks
You are most welcome to visit. I anticipate the system will be down for a month or so as various parts of the vinyl chain have gone or are going to the manufacturers in Tokyo and Seattle. Should be back in business toward end July.
Thanks for looking
Pradeep

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I'm in the Philippines. You can review my system in my listening room also here in members' gallery. We corresponded there.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not from sonic perspective but for such small companies service and distribution if you are not in Europe could be a constraint, unless you have a good tech guy

Even if you have a good tech guy, you must have access to service information and spares. Some companies will not provide you with it.

BTW, it is one of the many good thinks I appreciate in conrad johnson - they have always been very helpful and efficient in service matters.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Even if you have a good tech guy, you must have access to service information and spares. Some companies will not provide you with it.

BTW, it is one of the many good thinks I appreciate in conrad johnson - they have always been very helpful and efficient in service matters.
Microstrip
+1 for CJ. Lew Johnson has been amazing in his customer service. I bought a used CJ GAT on Agon that was 110V. CG has a paid service to convert 110V/220V gear. I wrote to Lew and he promptly sent the wiring instructions. Not many manufacturers will do that. Compare this to the other great American tube amp Company who refuse to allow any voltage conversion.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Some new toys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 156

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
The Ortofon A95

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 158

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Lyra Phono cable

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 353

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
New Nagra BPS for an exclusively mono setup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 342

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Durand Kairos with the Ortofon A95

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 298

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What are you preferring, the Etna or the a95?

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
What are you preferring, the Etna or the a95?
A bit premature and unfair to comment as the Etna is in rehab in Tokyo and the A95 is far from broken in. Early impressions mounted on a Garrard 401 on an Ortofon 309D arm : very impressive. The A95 has the speed,agility and handles dynamic swings with aplomb much like the Etna. Possibly lacks the finesse and silky smooth highs of the Atlas. Will get a better handle on the Etna when it's mounted on the Durand Kairos on the TW AC.
Thanks for looking

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. Atlas is twice the price?

All are from the same cloth of being neutral, fast, detailed, good transients. I compared Atlas and Etna in Myles Astor system hence curious about Etna. Keep us updated when you get it back

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Thanks. Atlas is twice the price?

All are from the same cloth of being neutral, fast, detailed, good transients. I compared Atlas and Etna in Myles Astor system hence curious about Etna. Keep us updated when you get it back
True the Atlas is more expensive but in my system I prefer the Etna over the Atlas. More muscle and a meatier presentation. I suspect the A95 is pretty close to the Etna

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Pradeep,

congrats on all the new toys!!

I will watch with interest what you conclude about the A95.

any first thoughts about the Kairos?
Hi Mike
Good to hear from you. Met Teck in Singy recently and he helped put together all the toys.
A bit quiet on the A95/Kairos front on account of a small mishap. One of the cartridge headshell clips came undone. A first for me in 30 years ! The duo is up and running and hopefully will get a more permanent local solution without shipping the Kairos back to Joel.
Early impressions of the A95 : this cart is really finicky about VTA and needs its tail really up . It's not even close to 15/20 hrs so I am a long way from break in (30 hrs ?). I like the punch though the edges are a wee bit brittle. It's clearly not in the same league as the Lyra Atla. I was looking for a different flavor.
Mighty impressed with the Kairos. Love the Azimuth feature which is simplicity itself. The VTA on the Kairos is not as accessible as the Talea2. Will get a better perspective on the Kairos when I mount the Atlas which I plan to do over the weekend.
Stay tuned and thanks for looking
Pradeep

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Time for an update. Logged close to 30+ hrs on my new toys.
Mounted the Atlas on the Kairos . Clearly, I am getting superior results with the Atlas on the Kairos compared to the Atlas on the Talea2. In my system and to my ears, the Kairos is a superior arm. More detail, pitch definition and tighter bass.
IMHO, the real hero is not the Kairos or the A95. It's the Lyra Erodion EVO SUT or MC interface as Lyra prefers to call it. On its own the A95 is a great cart but through the Erodion the results are pretty amazing. As the Atlas has a higher output (0.47mV) compared to the A95(0.2mV), the Atlas is plugged into the MC input of the Nagra phono and the A95 into the MM input via the Erodion with the loading set at 47k. Surprisingly, the results with the Atlas into the Erodion are not as good. I would have imagined there would be a natural synergy between two Lyra products. I suspect the Atlas SL or Etna SL may be a better match for the Erodion.
I may have a tough time deciding which cart to keep when the Etna returns.
Pradeep

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing