Thread: Need Advice - D'Agostino Momentum Integrated With REL G1 Subwoofers

Need Advice - D'Agostino Momentum Integrated With REL G1 Subwoofers

Need some REAL experience and advice for using a pair of REL G2 Subwoofers with a D'Agostino Momentum Integrated.

I have talked to the folks at D'Agostino and they say the Integrated should work fine if wired per REL instructions for a differential amplifier and two REL subs.

In the manual, REL states that
    the key is to use the LFE option and wiring scheme. Connect as instructed except that ground should be connected to chassis ground on the amplifier (or
    to a screw on the chassis). Do not connect ground to speaker output ground on the amplifier.

Unfortunately the D'Agostino folks do not have direct/real experience with this REL two sub configuration to verify that this would be safe. I can not find the forum and thread, though long ago
    I thought that I read that this would push the amp into a thermal shutdown.

Bottom line, I can't ask D'Agostino to find a pair of REL subs and test this for me before I roll the dice. Is there anyone out there who has REAL experience
    with this configuration or possibly with the D'Agsotino Momentum Stereo Amplifier (which I am told is very similar in design to the Integrated).

Robert, the wiring configuration of the Rel subs is a real PITA. The sub is balanced and therefore requires a physical ground in order to not create a short with your amp and therefore create a thermal shutdown...or worse damage to the amp and possibly the REL itself! I learned this the hard way, as I was connecting my balanced Rowland to the REL through the positive and NEGATIVE outputs on the amp. It is safe to say that most of us do NOT have a true chassis ground on our amps! ( a screw or some such device, although I understand all of the Pass amps do feature this...clever). Nonetheless, connecting to the amp is best if through a true chassis ground...
    You might also ask the folks at Sumiko, as they were distributing the REL's...not so sure if they still are though. Better safe than sorry.

Hi Robert. Sorry for the late response. Didn't see this post until now. Hopefully you have found a solution, but if not...

I'm using two REL G2 with Momentum Stereo, and I was also confused regarding how to connect the REL's with Momentum using speakON high level cables. I contacted REL and received this fine answer form John Hunter himself.

"Dear Sven,
    Nice amplifier! Dan is a great designer and a personal friend, the Momentum stereo is an amazing design.

Simple connectivity; do NOT connect the Black wire to negative (black) speaker terminals on a balanced differential amp.
    1. Twist both RED and YELLOW wires together for Right channel sub. Attach to red/+ speaker terminal of R channel.
    2. Leave the black wire disconnected completely-- cut off any exposed copper and leave it neatly trimmed out of the way.
    3. This is all you are likely to need to do, as the Dagostino is properly grounded and the REl is too.
    4 IF you bring up gain carefully and hum is present, do the following. Purchase an inexpensive RCA-RCA cable long enough to run from your preamp to the amp. Plug it into any unused source input, for example, Tuner if you are not using a tuner in the system.
    5. Plug the other end into the REL's .1 input making sure to turn the gain all the way down to zero. You have now created signal ground not associated with power ground which can cause head aches.

Enjoy your system!
    Best,
    J"

I followed the instructions in 1,2,3 above. In my system there were no need to use an RCA cable. No hum at all:-)

BR,
    Sven
    Audio Research Ref 10, Ref Phono 2 SE, Ref CD8
    D'Agostino MAS Momentum S
    Vivid Audio Giya G2, REL G2 (two)
    SME 20/3A AirTight PC1S
    Transparent Audio Powerlink MM2 (MM2x), Ref Powerlink (MM2x)
    Renaissance Audio Master IC & SC

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! still-one's Avatar
    Sven
    Thanks for posting. This could be important for both Momentum and REL users.
    Jim
    Speakers:Alexandria X2- Series 2, AMP''s-D'Agostino Momentum mono blocks, Pre-Amp:D'Agostino Momentum Phono Stage Esoteric E-03 Sources :dCS Rossini , SME 20/3, Cabling/Interconnects:Transparent Opus SC and Interconnects, Power Delivery Shunyata Denali

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! sujay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soa View Post
    Hi Robert. Sorry for the late response. Didn't see this post until now. Hopefully you have found a solution, but if not...

I'm using two REL G2 with Momentum Stereo, and I was also confused regarding how to connect the REL's with Momentum using speakON high level cables. I contacted REL and received this fine answer form John Hunter himself.

"Dear Sven,
    Nice amplifier! Dan is a great designer and a personal friend, the Momentum stereo is an amazing design.

Simple connectivity; do NOT connect the Black wire to negative (black) speaker terminals on a balanced differential amp.
    1. Twist both RED and YELLOW wires together for Right channel sub. Attach to red/+ speaker terminal of R channel.
    2. Leave the black wire disconnected completely-- cut off any exposed copper and leave it neatly trimmed out of the way.
    3. This is all you are likely to need to do, as the Dagostino is properly grounded and the REl is too.
    4 IF you bring up gain carefully and hum is present, do the following. Purchase an inexpensive RCA-RCA cable long enough to run from your preamp to the amp. Plug it into any unused source input, for example, Tuner if you are not using a tuner in the system.
    5. Plug the other end into the REL's .1 input making sure to turn the gain all the way down to zero. You have now created signal ground not associated with power ground which can cause head aches.

Enjoy your system!
    Best,
    J"

I followed the instructions in 1,2,3 above. In my system there were no need to use an RCA cable. No hum at all:-)

BR,
    Sven

Absolutely and completely agree, Sven with the way you have connected. I had, initially, trouble connecting a pair of fully balanced burmester monos to a pair of G1s. I spoke with REL and did exactly as per instructions given by John Hunter and they work absolutely fine. The key is to leave the black (negative) unconnected. There is no hum whatsoever...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by soa View Post
    One could also (instead of introducing another cable), modify the black cable on REL cable from spade to RCA and simply plug it into, as suggested, tuner input for example.
    Remember that only negative of RCA jack should be connected and positive remain blank.

Quote Originally Posted by sujay View Post
    The key is to leave the black (negative) unconnected.
    I'd say the key is to leave black (negative) unconnected to the negative speaker output terminal of the AMP. If there is an option to connect it to some Line level RCA input (or output), I would do it so.
    Last edited by mirekti; 01-29-2017 at 04:16 PM.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mirekti View Post
    One could also (instead of introducing another cable), modify the black cable on REL cable from spade to RCA and simply plug it into, as suggested, tuner input for example.
    Remember that only negative of RCA jack should be connected and positive remain blank.

I'd say the key is to leave black (negative) unconnected to the negative speaker output terminal of the AMP. If there is an option to connect it to some Line level RCA input (or output), I would do it so.
    As far as I remember D'Agostino Momentum's only have XLR's, I do not remember seeing RCA's there ...

I think you will need a custom cable or a proper XLR-RCA adapter.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's , Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : cj GAT + cj LP275m's, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables ...