Shuguang CV181-Z Treasures vs. NOS

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am looking to make my VAC Renaissance 140 amplifiers sing to their highest capability. Right now I am using the 6SN7 tubes provided by VAC. I think the amps sound good and have honestly not thrown in any other tubes. I know tube rolling can be addictive. I am considering the Shuguang Treasures and wanted to know if anyone recommended them and if not, what tubes might be best? I think the VAC tubes might be a partial cause of the hum in amps so I would like a tube that will not be noisy.

Best regards,
Stephen

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Hi Stephen, I've previously had great results with the Treasure cv181 compared to some top notch NOS options (TS round plates and rca vt231 smokies) in a coupke of different power amps and also a modwright oppo. Have also had some great results with Melz 1578 (drilled plates) in my old lampi 4.5 dac. Both of these options were quiet and I think are worthy of experiementation. Good luck! Mark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing