lamm m2.2

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
You're welcome to disagree there's nothing conceited about what I said! By all means, gather all your hybrid amps of this type and assemble your Global panel as you call it, I don't need it. There's no " appropriate caveat" needed when someone is writing in first person, IMO/IME is a given but for the sake of those who's universe revolves around such "appropriate caveats", even when they can't spell it properly, here it is, "IMO/IME the Lamms are the best of their kind ever made". I hope that this makes your day Harlequin! david

My my ddk, you appear to have morphed from the 'Self Opinionated Omnipotent' to the much Less impressive ' Pedantic Grammar Nazi' in the blink of an eye! And yes I will beg to differ, in that such an opinionated statement does warrent the common courtacy of an IMHO proviso, you seem to forget that many 'normal' folk migrate to preeminent forums such as this, often with little knowledge or experience, seeking balanced advice, and may all too well misconstrue your opinionated consideration as a widely recognised statement in fact.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
My my ddk, you appear to have morphed from the 'Self Opinionated Omnipotent' to the much Less impressive ' Pedantic Grammar Nazi' in the blink of an eye! And yes I will beg to differ, in that such an opinionated statement does warrent the common courtacy of an IMHO proviso, you seem to forget that many 'normal' folk migrate to preeminent forums such as this, often with little knowledge or experience, seeking balanced advice, and may all too well misconstrue your opinionated consideration as a widely recognised statement in fact.

Are these facts, you seem to forget out your own "proviso" when it comes to personal remarks! Those "normal" folks should be thrilled with this kind BS exchanges...

david

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Are these facts, you seem to forget out your own "proviso" when it comes to personal remarks! Those "normal" folks should be thrilled with this kind BS exchanges...

david

Most certainly I have not dave, I humbly count myself amongst the ranks of the said 'normal', Do Feel free to continue your most Celestial Orbit, we shall huddle around our fire pits and look to the heavens in wonderment.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Most certainly I have not dave, I humbly count myself amongst the ranks of the said 'normal', Do Feel free to continue your most Celestial Orbit, we shall huddle around our fire pits and look to the heavens in wonderment.
Don't forget to hold hands and sing kumbaya while you're at it.:)
david

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Glad I don't need footers

I will place them on a low rack with preamp so I can run XLR and have some nice XLR interconnects

I don't use footers much but do use still points under speakers, they weigh 45 kgs and the footers will take 64kgs, i set up for front to back "play"

My order of experiments is power cord, xlr versus rca, impendance/bias high and low, and then tubes

I have 6922 in sovtek, telefunken, golden dragon, Ei, mullard, tungsol, and have ordered some russian "rocket" 6n23 to try as so cheap :)

So far very clean sound, superb deep, tuneful and snappy bass, great sound field, timbrally very accurate, fast and snappy on piano, great image definition

If I can extra any more with experiments I will be more than happy

the 2.2 goes to 41 watts in Class A at 8 ohm versus 110 for the 1.2

You are correct the 2.2 will drive just about anything

I calculated I needed more than 120 watts in my room hence the 2.2 versus the 1.2

I listen to a lot of big classical mahler, Bruckner etc

So far enjoying, but have to wait till next week as away from stereo for work

Thanks for inputs so far

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Glad I don't need footers

I will place them on a low rack with preamp so I can run XLR and have some nice XLR interconnects

I don't use footers much but do use still points under speakers, they weigh 45 kgs and the footers will take 64kgs, i set up for front to back "play"

My order of experiments is power cord, xlr versus rca, impendance/bias high and low, and then tubes

I have 6922 in sovtek, telefunken, golden dragon, Ei, mullard, tungsol, and have ordered some russian "rocket" 6n23 to try as so cheap :)

So far very clean sound, superb deep, tuneful and snappy bass, great sound field, timbrally very accurate, fast and snappy on piano, great image definition

If I can extra any more with experiments I will be more than happy

the 2.2 goes to 41 watts in Class A at 8 ohm versus 110 for the 1.2

You are correct the 2.2 will drive just about anything

I calculated I needed more than 120 watts in my room hence the 2.2 versus the 1.2

I listen to a lot of big classical mahler, Bruckner etc

So far enjoying, but have to wait till next week as away from stereo for work

Thanks for inputs so far

They have a lengthy break-in period going from very good initial turn to harsh and nasty in the middle to fantastic, try to leave them on for the first 10 days or so.
david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It's okay if you prefer the sound of the stock M1.2s, with the stock power cord, stock tube and the amps existing outside a context of resonance or vibration management, at least with Stillpoints. It really is okay. But however they are run, they are not run context free.

I like Lamm gear and these amps a lot and I use them. I've compared them to several amps of similar cost. Read my review on TAB. For the M1.2: images lack a wee bit of focus and low bass a small amount of articulation (though not weight). I heard the same characteristics with the LL2.1D when I reviewed it years ago. As described, improvements are possible without introducing "strong coloration" - or any harmonic coloration for that matter. Another "tweak", putting a Shunyata Typhon on each amp's dedicated circuit, slightly improved clarity and transient definition. None of these improvements obscure the designer's intent, in fact, just the opposite. The same will hold true for the M2.2.

Hi Tima,
We're probably looking for a different type of sound, in general I don't care for any of these tweaks and what they do, but if you like them, great.

david

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes I will try them I think could be a great match as the lamms can handle to tough load
When my bakoons come back I will swap the amps as I think the bakoons will be amazing with the morels

Will keep u posted...

A

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Yes I will try them I think could be a great match as the lamms can handle to tough load
When my bakoons come back I will swap the amps as I think the bakoons will be amazing with the morels

Will keep u posted...

A

I look forward to your considerations awsmore, In my system whilst sporting CLX Anniversaries I would regularly measure draw on material peaks of between 135 to 146 watts, 96ish dB, which was a tad too close to the red line with my previous valve amplification, hence a very recent move to 250 watt valve monoblock's.

As I mentioned a little earlier I would very much like to add Lamm 1.2's to the mix when I have the oppertunity to do so.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes this is exactly my experience though I think voltage swings are more important that sheer watts
My valve amps configured to el 34 drove the clx very well

But agree 120 watts seems to be limited for big orchestra in large rooms
The el34 clip gently which makes them sound more powerful
But I think 250 watts avoids clipping on say piano

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I like Lamm gear and these amps a lot and I use them. I've compared them to several amps of similar cost. Read my review on TAB. For the M1.2: images lack a wee bit of focus and low bass a small amount of articulation (though not weight). I heard the same characteristics with the LL2.1D when I reviewed it years ago. As described, improvements are possible without introducing "strong coloration" - or any harmonic coloration for that matter. Another "tweak", putting a Shunyata Typhon on each amp's dedicated circuit, slightly improved clarity and transient definition. None of these improvements obscure the designer's intent, in fact, just the opposite. The same will hold true for the M2.2.

Did you ask Ralph Karsteen or Vladimir Lamm about the Atmasphere MP1 hum problem? I was really disappointed that you had the two side by side and were not able to report on the pairing.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Did you ask Ralph Karsteen or Vladimir Lamm about the Atmasphere MP1 hum problem? I was really disappointed that you had the two side by side and were not able to report on the pairing.

I too was disappointed. The synthesis of the MP-1 + M1.2 might be magical; not an additive combination but one where each brought strengths to complement the overall output. Or so I anticipated. And yes, Ralph and I spent some time on the issue. It came down to the way the XLR output->input transaction was negotiated in the receptacle wiring. While the Lamms offer XLR inputs they are not into a balanced circuit and basically tie into their RCA inputs. The amps can be modified to the wiring standard and Atma-Sphere offered to do that but they were review units. I'd be tempted to do that now (or get single-ended outputs added to the MP-1) but that preamp has moved on. Although I have not heard the latest version of the MP-1, the ARC REF10 offers close to what I anticipated from the MP-1 paired with the M1.2. (Though I suspect the MP-1 still is more transparent in lowest-frequency resolution.)

Ralph responded in detail to the TAB letters section which you can find among those for April 2015.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I was unable to find any experience of ml2 with clx I am sure they would work with Morel
I wanted some versatility and thought the M2.2 would be able to drive anything
The bass is exceptional with Morel not tried on clx yet

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
These are the best amps of their kind ever made . . .

As much as I revere and respect David's vast experience, and as much as I value David's advice, and even though I may personally believe the statement likely is correct, consistency and fairness compel me to affirm Harlequin's view that this is a hyperbole violation. But I am sure the statement is based on David's intimate and extremely long-term experience with Lamm amplifiers, and on the wide variety of comparable amplifiers to which David has, over the years, compared the Lamms.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I was unable to find any experience of ml2 with clx I am sure they would work with Morel
I wanted some versatility and thought the M2.2 would be able to drive anything
The bass is exceptional with Morel not tried on clx yet

I would love to see how they work with my 95dB sensitive Wilson X-2.2. It's hard to wrap my head around 18 watts per channel and have them grip rock and large orchestra music w/o running out of gas. From what I hear, they do it well. Hearing is believing I guess.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I would love to see how they work with my 95dB sensitive Wilson X-2.2. It's hard to wrap my head around 18 watts per channel and have them grip rock and large orchestra music w/o running out of gas. From what I hear, they do it well. Hearing is believing I guess.

Prior to my ML3 I ran ML 2.1 with my Wilson X2 and there was never a hiccup. Only once did hear the amp clip. They will drive the X2 without breaking a sweat

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

i hear you Rockitman. i had a unique opportunity to buy a pair of ml2.2s 'blind' and if i had known that i would stay with big Wilsons for an indefinite period of time...i would have actually taken the leap based on the countless ear-witnesses of that combination...including both Steve and jackd201 who have always been most helpful with their advice over the years.

i have always been intrigued to hear the combo and just have not had the opportunity. is there anyway to hook up 2 sets of ml 2.2 monos to a set of big Wilsons?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Yes this is exactly my experience though I think voltage swings are more important that sheer watts
But I think 250 watts avoids clipping on say piano

I shall let you know, amp's are still in transit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing