lamm m2.2

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hi all

waiting in anticipation for a pair of lamm m2.2 to arrive tomorrow

I recently bought a pair of morel fat ladies in addition to my CLX's

These are a wonderful speaker!

I am hoping the the lamm will be a great match to the naturalness of the fat ladies

Any experience with 6922 tube rolling?

Thinking of putting golden lions in them

thx

A

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Jackd201 recommends them with Amperex. If I buy speakers requiring high powered amps again, my shortlist is Lamm M2.2 and Ypsilon Aelius hybrids, and compare them with Spectrals (SS gear)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Actually the Morel
are an easy load

I agree my choice was between lamm and aelius

The lamm was a better buy and i heard before hence the choice

A

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Just arrived

Beautiful and understated

running on low impedance setting to start as Fat ladies are 4 ohm nominal

Just could listen for an hour and a half

Ummm...stunning clarity and intelligebility

Bass very deep and quick but with bloom

Piano just sounds right but with lots of little nuance

Unfortunately away this weekend so have to wait till next week for longer listening session

Have ordered the Russian 6N23 that Lamm suggest for moment just sovteks

Though also have some Genelex which we very good in my Blue circle

Keep you informed

A

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congrats on your new Lamm amps! Wrt tubes, choices for the M2.2 pretty much follow those for the M1.2.
Check the sidebar of this review for tube rolling info.

Unfortunately, Lamm is not distributed in my country and I have never played with them.

But this would be a good moment to learn about the sound quality differences between the M2.2 and the M1.2.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Just arrived

Beautiful and understated

running on low impedance setting to start as Fat ladies are 4 ohm nominal

Just could listen for an hour and a half

Ummm...stunning clarity and intelligebility

Bass very deep and quick but with bloom

Piano just sounds right but with lots of little nuance

Unfortunately away this weekend so have to wait till next week for longer listening session

Have ordered the Russian 6N23 that Lamm suggest for moment just sovteks

Though also have some Genelex which we very good in my Blue circle

Keep you informed

A

Welcome to the club, a Lamm pre should follow soon! Don't worry about the tubes the Sovteks are pretty good and have a tighter bass than most, my own favorites are Bugle Boys. Just a couple of setup notes, stick with the stock cords that came with the amps, avoid audiophile fuses and no footers of any kind, ENJOY!
david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My understanding, without comparing the two, is that 1.2 plays a little higher in class A, but where you need higher current in tough to drive speakers for the salm and dynamics of orchestral stuff, 2.2 is preferred.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Unfortunately, Lamm is not distributed in my country and I have never played with them.

But this would be a good moment to learn about the sound quality differences between the M2.2 and the M1.2.

Hardly anything, M1.2 is pure Class A, M2.2 is a highly biased Class A/B , operates in Class A for the first 35 or so watts. You won't hear a difference between the two at normal listening volumes with most speakers. The M2.2 is the perfect match for his MLs, MBL, and some other panels but you can get away with the M1.2 with the A1. Pure Class A is the ultimate!

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations awsmone!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
My experience is different. Four Stillpoints Ultra SS under each hybrid amp make a very impressive positive difference in clarifying image location and outline. The same should hold true for the LL2.1/D preamp.
You might like adding such strong coloration and that's fine but I've been selling Lamm exclusively for over 18 years and set up several tens of Lamm based systems and the only thing tweaks do ruin their sound with Stillpoints topping the list as the worst sounding tweak I've ever heard. You don't need anything to alter the sound of these beauties, if you think you do then look at the setup and other tweaks screwing up the sound. These are the best amps of their kind ever made why would you want to crap on them with tweaks?
david

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
ddk, i agree wholeheartedly on the stillpoints being the worst sounding tweak ever... in my experience, of course.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
ddk, i agree wholeheartedly on the stillpoints being the worst sounding tweak ever... in my experience, of course.

Mine too

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I had 18 Ultra 5's and 12 Ultra 6's under my speakers, subs and amps. It was a very interesting and intriguing sound initially but it wasn't until I removed them and went in a different direction that I now know and understand the above comments. Back to spikes on my speakers, nothing under my subs and CMS racks under my amps and phono stage. As commented above, in my system and to my ears. YMMV

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
These are the best amps of their kind ever made

Oh dear, I must have missed that particular Global Poll !!!

For my part I am an admirer of Vladimir Lamm and his design ethos, my own intent being to acquire a pair of Lamm 1.2's in the future, However, without the appropriate caviat, I must say that I find this kind of comment to be faintly ridiculous on a good day, to the patently dismissive, bordering on conceit on a bad one! which this is, back to swigging the Oramorph.

Steve Williams

For my part I am an admirer of Vladimir Lamm and his design ethos, my own intent being to acquire a pair of Lamm 1.2's in the future, However, without the appropriate caviat, I must say that I find this kind of comment to be faintly ridiculous on a good day, to the patently dismissive, bordering on conceit on a bad one! which this is, back to swigging the Oramorph.

your point is well taken but TBH once you own a Lamm amp or preamp it is difficult not to talk with such hyperbole. My experience is now 10 years of use exclusively and David's is 17 years starting all the way back to the original ML 1 whereas I started at the ML 2.1. They are built like a brick and will last forever and maintain excellent resale value

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
your point is well taken but TBH once you own a Lamm amp or preamp it is difficult not to talk with such hyperbole. My experience is now 10 years of use exclusively and David's is 17 years starting all the way back to the original ML 1 whereas I started at the ML 2.1. They are built like a brick and will last forever and maintain excellent resale value

Do you know if they are tested at 50 Hz in the factory? Some well built and known equipment coming from the US have hum problems in Europe. Manufacturers test them at 230V/60 Hz, but do not try them at our much more demanding european 50 Hz.

Steve Williams

I don't know the answer but I would be surprised if one of his amps had a hum. Perhaps David knows

What we owners do know is that Lamm is a genius at making a beautiful midrange sound where most of the music resides

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

You're welcome to disagree there's nothing conceited about what I said! By all means, gather all your hybrid amps of this type and assemble your Global panel as you call it, I don't need it. There's no " appropriate caveat" needed when someone is writing in first person, IMO/IME is a given but for the sake of those who's universe revolves around such "appropriate caveats", even when they can't spell it properly, here it is, "IMO/IME the Lamms are the best of their kind ever made". I hope that this makes your day Harlequin!

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Do you know if they are tested at 50 Hz in the factory? Some well built and known equipment coming from the US have hum problems in Europe. Manufacturers test them at 230V/60 Hz, but do not try them at our much more demanding european 50 Hz.

Most of Lamm's market is overseas in 220v-240v markets and there are no transformer buzz/hum issues ever reported, of course there's always a bad one now and then and needs to be replaced. Ground loops are a different thing and you never know.

david

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Thank you for the considered response Steve, I am quite sure that ddk believes his comment to be entirely the case, however it is nether an irrefutable nor widely accepted statement in fact. My apologies should my point come over as from the 'prickly pedant' however I have just about had a Gut Full of the 'Catty Fight In The Ladies Rest Room' this 'opinion' portrayed as fact kind of statement invariably engenders.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing