Vivid Giya G3

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am a little lost here. I believed we should trusty our ears ... Now on what oue eyes are telling us .. namely the Bennic the Giya no longer sound great??? What gives people?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Bennics (and Solens) is what I also replaced in my crossover, with Mundorfs - night and day. Bennic impart a much softer sound to the speaker, but at the end of the day, they are colorations. I guess I just lost interest in these Giyas...

I consider Bennic at the bottom of the food chain. BTW, one of the best sites for capacitor comparisons is http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

The Bennics are so poor that they don't even make the cut to even be in Tony's legendary cap test. And it's not because he didn't hear about them. They are the #1 used cap used in mass market speakers.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes, I did not want to point out that Bennics are not even on the list. As to size of the crossover, yes absolutely a 4th order would be huge - mine, 2nd order, doubled and almost tripled in size. Yet, people claim they sound good, so I need to listen to them...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi

I am a little lost here. I believed we should trusty our ears ... Now on what oue eyes are telling us .. namely the Bennic the Giya no longer sound great??? What gives people?

You are missing the point. The Giyas would probably still sound great using Home Depot bulk extension cord for speaker cable. But once it was swapped out with premium grade audiophile cable, I'm sure it would be easy to tell the difference. Xover parts have an even bigger impact on the sound than cables. So if you like the Giya's now, just imagine with premium Xover parts. It's not altogether a bad thing. Because to make the same profit they are now using top end Mundorf parts, the cost would have like had to go up over $10000+ a pair. Owners can upgrade on their own for a small fraction of that.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Yes, I did not want to point out that Bennics are not even on the list. As to size of the crossover, yes absolutely a 4th order would be huge - mine, 2nd order, doubled and almost tripled in size.

The Mundorf silver/oils are huge. And they are expensive. Another great choice is using clarity cap SA's bypassed with the Dueland Silver/Wax/Oil. 90% of the sound for much cheaper, and less space.

The new Dueland bypass cap is unreal. So new Tony doesn't have it on the list.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_clarity_sa.html

http://www.partsconnexion.com/cap_film_duel_bypass.html

Last edited:

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Magico S7 crossover.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Magico S7 crossover.

Yes Mundorf Evo's:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_mundorf_evo.html

Supreme Evo:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_mundorf_supreme_evo.html

Mundorf M-resist Resistors:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_mundorf.html

And Mundorf foil inductors:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/inductor_mundorf_12.html

Iron cores for the woofers.

And even those could be improved with Dueland Silver/Wax/Oil bypass caps, and Dueland CAST resistors replacing the Mundorf's. There simply isn't a better resistor on the market for speaker xovers:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_duelund_cast.html

Look at this budget kit. Even the budget version of the Xovers uses the same grade of parts as the Magico. And for $200 more you can get the silver/gold Evo version:

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Mundorf-MA30-Anniversity-Bookshelf-Speaker-Kithtml.html

Can assemble in 1 hour with a screwdriver. Has to be the best deal I've seen in audio yet for speakers. The MDF cabinet could be bettered, but for the price, it's probably right up there with speakers with $10000 MSRP.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Laurence Dickie on cables and passive components (from http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/roadtourvivid/3.html:

6moons Joel Chevassus "Like many manufacturers you do not highlight your internal hookup wiring. Do you consider it crucial or more anecdotal?"

Laurence Dickie: "Internal wiring has to be as relevant as the external cabling. Back in the years of the original design phase we auditioned various wires and found Van den Hul to offer a good product. Clearly there is a constant stream of new products. If f we were to audition all the new wires available there would be no time to design new products. Actually I dream of the day we can employ someone to do nothing but audition cables and components. I can assure you that person would be very busy."

Typical diversion, and I imagine you would get the same answer if you ask about the xover components. Think he will ever openly admit the xover components are crap?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Here's the thing of it Blizzard, the Giya's sound superb. I doubt you would get much argument from anyone here who has actually heard them.
Sure, the cost and perhaps quality of the caps you are referring to may be suspect, question is how much do they really impact the sound of the speakers. If we take marketing and profits aside for a minute, one could still ask if it was a deliberate design decision that LD made to incorporate these parts for not what they do, but instead what they do NOT. Not being in LD's shoes would make me hesitate to second guess him as to his design decisions. This is in essence what you are doing ( second guessing the designer) with pointing out the quality and cost of the Bennics. IMHO.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
There are different philosophies for designing all audio products. Some designers subscribe to the "parts" philosophy. Those folks believe they can build the best products as long as they've used the best parts. OTOH, there is the "design" philosophy which holds that it's the design which makes the final sound and the parts don't matter much.

Of course, these are extreme and, in reality, there can be a mixture of both philosophies. Maybe Blizzard is totally correct. Maybe the vivid can sound even better than it does. Who really knows? What's important to me is whether I own a product which primarily comes from the design philosophy. I've learned to be suspicious of products which are marketed primarily based on parts quality. I've often found those types of products come from the DIY/homemade style designers. These "parts jockeys", as I call them, will constantly come out with new versions sold as upgrades to monetize existing customers. Essentially, it's getting the customer to pay for the same thing two, three and four times without any demonstrable improvement.

I'm not merely interested in a collection of the best parts. I've had that. YGs are made from some the best parts available. Yet, the vivid speaker is still better in my room. I'm interested in the best performance in my room. That's why I love the G3.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
The designer obviously designed the G3 around the crossover components used. He did something right as we have two forum members that are very pleased with their speakers. Could they be improved another 5 or 10 percent with better crossover components, maybe. Should someone recap the crossover to try and acheive that small percentage, no way! They are as spaz said, the sum of their parts.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Here's the thing of it Blizzard, the Giya's sound superb. I doubt you would get much argument from anyone here who has actually heard them.
Sure, the cost and perhaps quality of the caps you are referring to may be suspect, question is how much do they really impact the sound of the speakers. If we take marketing and profits aside for a minute, one could still ask if it was a deliberate design decision that LD made to incorporate these parts for not what they do, but instead what they do NOT. Not being in LD's shoes would make me hesitate to second guess him as to his design decisions. This is in essence what you are doing ( second guessing the designer) with pointing out the quality and cost of the Bennics. IMHO.

When you have been building speakers for 20 years, you know for a fact that what your saying isn't true. I have nailed it on the head 100% why Vivid chose these components. It's also the same reason many other mass market brands use them. If xover components don't matter, either do speaker cables. Replace your cables with Home Depot extension cord.

Do you seriously think upgrades only matter when they are on the external side of the binding posts??

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
There are different philosophies for designing all audio products. Some designers subscribe to the "parts" philosophy. Those folks believe they can build the best products as long as they've used the best parts. OTOH, there is the "design" philosophy which holds that it's the design which makes the final sound and the parts don't matter much.

Of course, these are extreme and, in reality, there can be a mixture of both philosophies. Maybe Blizzard is totally correct. Maybe the vivid can sound even better than it does. Who really knows? What's important to me is whether I own a product which primarily comes from the design philosophy. I've learned to be suspicious of products which are marketed primarily based on parts quality. I've often found those types of products come from the DIY/homemade style designers. These "parts jockeys", as I call them, will constantly come out with new versions sold as upgrades to monetize existing customers. Essentially, it's getting the customer to pay for the same thing two, three and four times without any demonstrable improvement.

I'm not merely interested in a collection of the best parts. I've had that. YGs are made from some the best parts available. Yet, the vivid speaker is still better in my room. I'm interested in the best performance in my room. That's why I love the G3.

This is not a design issue, it's simply a parts quality issue. It drives me crazy when I see guys spending big bucks on small tweaks and cables, only to send the signal through garbage xover components. I should build a drop in "Premium replacement" xover for the Vivid speakers. It would be a real eye opener.

There is such thing as good design and good parts. You don't have to choose one or another.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
the magic of the vivids are the drivers and cabinets. thats dic being super designer. the xovers while being vital of course are not what these are about imo. i have had many chats with dic and never have i seen him get excited about xovers.. drivers yes.. cabinet yes.. hes even talked about tone controls with some degree of intrest lol. never a cap or a resisstor other than to change the db on the tweeter etc.

That's because he's old school. Back in the 80's, the best caps, coils and resistors, were at the level of the Bennic's today. He probably figures they were good enough then, why not now? Besides do you really think he's gonna want to get into a xover discussion when he clearly knows the level of components he's using. No of course not. That's the last place he'll want to go.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Blizzard the G3 are the sum of the parts used by the designer. If you go switching all the crossover components you will change the original voicing the designer was shooting for.

This is not a design issue, it's simply a parts quality issue. It drives me crazy when I see guys spending big bucks on small tweaks and cables, only to send the signal through garbage xover components. I should build a drop in "Premium replacement" xover for the Vivid speakers. It would be a real eye opener.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizzard the G3 are the sum of the parts used by the designer. If you go switching all the crossover components you will change the original voicing the designer was shooting for.

Yes to a better voicing. Bennic's are simply not the choice of parts to use for quality voicing. That's just like saying you want to voice a DAC with a high jitter clock. Or voice your $100000 system by using the DAC in your iphone as a source. I will say once again that the Bennic's are used because they are dirt cheap.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing