es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
..I'm using Verbatim speaker cables, a similar Cu ribbon design by a fellow named Paul Garner. He made them for a few years then dropped out of sight. I've compared them to some very expensive cables and they've won handily every time. The Cu ribbon concept is the way to go IMHO..

I think the Mgaudio cables are a comparatively excellent value.

I also think the Mola Mola Kaluga amps are the perfect match for these speakers. I know Bruno used the G3 to test the Kalugas during the amp's final design phase.

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
Hi. Curious as to the size of the room you have them in? And what pre amp are you using with the Kaluga amps?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think the Mgaudio cables are a comparatively excellent value.

I also think the Mola Mola Kaluga amps are the perfect match for these speakers. I know Bruno used the G3 to test the Kalugas during the amp's final design phase.

are you going to try Luxman as well? great pairing on the Vivids from the several shows I've heard them.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
are you going to try Luxman as well? great pairing on the Vivids from the several shows I've heard them.

I've had Luxman in the past. I love it too. It burns hot and offers much less dynamics unless I got the monos. I've had other big boys. I'm done with the big hot amps.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Speaker/seated positions were based on forum comments. I previously took a poll on WBF and then averaged the results of various positions. I then plopped them down in that position. You must have missed it. Sorry.

Your setup in your room looks about ideal from what I can see. I think that far too many people set up their speakers too close to the rear wall. Even though you get to sit a little in the near field, I'm sure that that setup must sound excellent.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Your setup in your room looks about ideal from what I can see. I think that far too many people set up their speakers too close to the rear wall. Even though you get to sit a little in the near field, I'm sure that that setup must sound excellent.

I appreciate the comment Davey. It's difficult for a picture to translate to what something might sound like. I think many folks think a speaker 8'6" from tweeter to ear is too near field to deliver a big soundstage. All I can say is come over for a listen. NO music is heard on the horizontal speaker plane. Everything happens far behind the speakers. My neighbor came over yesterday. He's not an audiophile. He just shook his head in disbelief. I'm sure it must sounded like witchcraft to him. :D

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Did you consider the G2's at all?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Did you consider the G2's at all?

Yes. It's the same speaker except the tweeter is above ear level and woofers which go lower. My ideal crossover is 80hz symmetrical 2 octave digital crossover between the speaker and sub. The G2 doesn't offer any advantage in my setup.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The best arrangement I ever obtained with my Apogee full-ranges had them over 7 feet from the front wall. I agree that everything happened in layers behind them, and overall total depth was staggering.

Lee

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The best arrangement I ever obtained with my Apogee full-ranges had them over 7 feet from the front wall. I agree that everything happened in layers behind them, and overall total depth was staggering.

Lee

My speakers are also more than 6 feet from the front wall, and the depth of my soundstage is enormous as well. I also sit nearfield, with about 9' from tweeter to ear, and with speakers far apart relative to that, about 9' between tweeters.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The Giyas are about 9'4" from wall I face when I listen. (I call it frontwall). My head is a little over 7' from wall behind my head when I listen (backwall).

I've tried many configurations over the years. Subs do make speaker positioning easier, IME. The Giyas are way more toed-in than the YGs and still throw a bigger soundstage.

If bass is less of a factor, then it's always best to get the R/L as far off the frontwall as possible without backing the seated position too close to the backwall or into a null. For me, seated position is much less sensitive to axial modes due to 9 modex plates and other bass traps. :). I may play with even more toe-in later just for fun. But things are set pretty well now.

Last edited:

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
Interesting, thanks for sharing all that information. Mine were setup by the dealer and Philip. Set up differently than yours but than my room is very different with openings on the left side to the living room and kitchen. So I am not saying my setup is anything other than different. Dimensions are 23.5' deep, 14' wide and 9' ceilings.

Sofa (listening position) is about 12.5' from the speakers.

Back wall is 6.5' behind listening position.

My previous speakers were setup much farther into the room.

The sound to me is incredible, much like I heard when I auditioned them. I knew during the audition I had to have them, they were incredible, during the auction they were paired with Spectral pre amp and amp and dCS electronics.

Previously I had rather nice tube pre amps, and amps paired with a Devore 0/96. There was no comparison once I heard these bad boys....

p.s. I know things could be even better, but I have been taking the time to just enjoy them for now. It really is a night a day different for me based on where I was coming from.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
... and the power cables for the kalugas?

Kimber pk10. I used to own expensive PCs. Since I use the torus rm60, they don't make any improvement to sound quality. Each amp gets its own 20amp winding off the torus. The torus can deliver current peaks much higher than 20amps, if needed.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Now, this is what I am talking about....look at this set up and then compare to Michael's. I know which I would rather hear...and by a country mile!!!

Agreed, no contest.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing