Vivid Giya G3

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I don't want to get into comparing the YG with the Vivid too much because I think they are both great speakers. There is one important difference that I noticed right away. I'm big on first impressions because auditory memory is generally bad.

The high frequency output at the seat position is much smoother with the vivid speakers versus the YG. The reason for this is the off axis performance difference between the two designs. I noticed my first vivid measurement measured fairly flat and smooth high frequency content all the way beyond 20khz. I use a calibrated earthworks m23 and measure at 48khz sampling so there's not much after 23khz anyway.

With the YG, the HF falls off sharply above 15khz at seated position. Since the difference is an off axis issue, it can't be fixed with DSP. Of course, most folks can't hear much above 14-15khz. One can see these differences in the lateral off axis plots JA did of the two speakers to verify what I'm saying here. In fact, the YG off axis drops off pretty quick above 10khz. There could be some kind of time domain effect. When a speaker rolls off too early, the speaker basically becomes a filter and the filter can affect both frequency and time domains. IMO, the vivid speakers communicate music in a much more lively and colorful way. The soundstage is super holographic too. To me, the difference isn't like a DAC upgrade or power amp. It's a pretty mega improvement. I'm rocking some Hiromi now. :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Good for you Michael. They are superb speakers. Whenever I go to the shows, consistently in my reports here, Philips room is always in my top 5. I'm happy that this speaker is finally achieving its much due accolades such as yours.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Belated congrats Michael Wolf. :D So Scotty did you in? Let me him know that I did not think he was that smart. :D :D

Seriously, seems like a great buy from a great guy....

The name Michael Wolf got me into CEDIA. He's a legendary audiophile alter ego for sure thanks to you!! I was thinking about creating a fake profile with that name. I could try doing something like an audiophile version of Jocko Homo before I get Michael Wolf banned.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
As I said before, the bass is heard directly from the room, not the speakers.
The other problem is that the bass has restricted dynamics with only two speakers.

Just a few comments wrt above: There are 3 mechanisms that deliver bass - the room, the bass drivers and the ports (assuming ported). The magnitude of each is contingent on speaker/sub placement, mfr. port design, room dimensions and listening spot location (you could even add listening seat composition).

WRT 2 speakers and limited bass dynamics, depends on the speakers and room....

Oh, and btw, I don't think anyone is doubting your ability to tune your setup to your room, only that 80Hz is an uncommonly high cutoff freq for subs with full range speakers. Sounds like you have it dialed in to meet your needs and I bet it sounds fabulous!

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
To paraphrase Earl Geddes; it's the room at very low frequencies.
"At frequencies below the Schröder frequency, modes become a problem. Our hearing needs a couple of cycles before it can determine a sound's timbre but in acoustically small rooms reflections become part of the sound almost instantly because wavelengths are in the range of the room's dimensions (e.g. 40 Hz = 8.6 m wavelength). So what we hear is dominated by the room and not by the loudspeaker anymore."
https://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

Just a few comments wrt above: There are 3 mechanisms that deliver bass - the room, the bass drivers and the ports (assuming ported). The magnitude of each is contingent on speaker/sub placement, mfr. port design, room dimensions and listening spot location (you could even add listening seat composition).

WRT 2 speakers and limited bass dynamics, depends on the speakers and room....

Oh, and btw, I don't think anyone is doubting your ability to tune your setup to your room, only that 80Hz is an uncommonly high cutoff freq for subs with full range speakers. Sounds like you have it dialed in to meet your needs and I bet it sounds fabulous!

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
Thanks Michael. I was fortunate as well to receive guidance from Philip on the correct size Giya for my room as well. In fact due to a number of circumstances, he even assisted the dealer in the installation. Lucky me to say the least, as you are probably aware he has great taste in music. The Pearl White was selected based upon guidance from my significant other. I knew I had to have a set after the first showroom demonstration I had of them. The Mola's which you have are on my short list as well.

Barr

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Thanks Bruce. I've been talking about getting a pair for many years. It just hit me one day a couple of weeks ago. So I didn't waste anymore time. I wish I had them earlier. They sound particularly great with loud rock/dance music. I have them crossed over to my subs at 80hz, just like I had the YGs setup. Since the bass is very full and realistic, I can push these little guys to high SPLs. There's no strain or edginess with loud tracks.
I have G3's with two JL F 113 subs. and am somewhat new to them and working on getting the balance right for the mating with the subs. I am crossing at 32 Hz and find that that brings out the best of the G3's in my room. Even crossing at 38 was way too high, with resultant muddying of their pristine midrange.

As you know, they produce amazing bass and then drop of rather quickly in the 30hz range. It is my opinion they do need augmentation in the range where their bass output is strong, and to my taste need help below where they drop off. If you choose to try the experiment, I suggest listening to he quality of the low and middle midrange, which i my case really opened up just dropping the crossover point 6 hz.

Congratulations. They are amazing and the looks grow on you.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..what are the speaker cables?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
It is some cheap radio shack cable that he ran his truck over a few times to flatten....

Yes, but remember the huge price mark up is owed the extensive search for the best RadioShack cables and the proprietary flattening techniques employed. :p

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Wow those speakers are way out in the room and almost near field. I'm just curious if that was by choice or the best positioning you found via measurements?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Wow those speakers are way out in the room and almost near field. I'm just curious if that was by choice or the best positioning you found via measurements?

Speaker/seated positions were based on forum comments. I previously took a poll on WBF and then averaged the results of various positions. I then plopped them down in that position. You must have missed it. Sorry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing