Vivid Giya G3

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I wonder why the hot girl in the picture:p faces away from the seated position?

LoL

I didnt actually hear THOSE Aplogues …yet. The pair I heard were all black and were the Mk1…These gray ones are Mk2 and are reputedly notches above!

Costviewer

Aug 4, 2015
dallasjustice,

Congratulations on those fantastic speakers! You've made an excellent choice!

It is interesting to see how many different sub/non-sub recipes each one of us has come up with. I used to swear by good sub. Since I've had G2 SAM-ed I no longer need to augment the sound with Velodyne DD12+. Simply because I cannot hear/feel any difference, let alone Velodyne bass is simply slower and more 'woolly', I'd say. I play music in a relatively large room (approx. 45 sq m) and yet bass from Vivids is simply amazing. I'm sure my neighbours could attest that too... :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A guy who owns the Apologues bought the Tune Audio Anima horns - 30k compared to 120k or so. They sit in the same room, next to each other. He also has a Goldmund reference TT, the old amps, and the CDP. He listens to only Anima now. Track for track, I preferred the Anima.

Stenheims are good, for a cone speaker. But this is DJ's Vivid G3 thread. Good stuff Michael.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
A guy who owns the Apologues bought the Tune Audio Anima horns - 30k compared to 120k or so. They sit in the same room, next to each other. He also has a Goldmund reference TT, the old amps, and the CDP. He listens to only Anima now. Track for track, I preferred the Anima.

Stenheims are good, for a cone speaker. But this is DJ's Vivid G3 thread. Good stuff Michael.

Anima powered by Devialet!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
80hz is the highest frequency at which bass cannot be localized. Floyd Toole talks about this in his book. Mono subs offer the smoothest bass response. I've measured many different ways (various crossovers and mono versus stereo) I set my subs up the way Toole describes in his book for a system with two subs. It works very well and the subs cannot be localized. The stereo image remains perfectly intact.

Interesting that you set the crossover so high. My sub's crossover point is set at 41 Hz, which is a "rolloff frequency" with a shallow slope past the crossover point, with subs rolling in while the main speakers, which are minimonitors, fade out (bass is perceived to be linear, both by me and by others). My subwoofer is located more towards the left hand rear corner of the room, but bass is often in the right channel (stand-up bass in jazz, contrabasses in orchestral music). All the frequencies of the bass appear to emanate from where the instrument is located in the stereo mix, with the imaging being a coherent whole from top to bottom; the sub is absolutely not localizable in this set-up as well.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Apologues Mk2 are minimum $600K a pair (fully active/wireless/DRC time aligned and room corrected by Proteus/Leonardo software)! This is another guy and he listenes only to this system and averages 5 hours a day. Your guy likely has the older Epilogues. AFAIK, only 25 Apologues will ever be made.

I am just yanking DJs chain. Of course his speakers are fabulous!

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi DJ,

Just curious from an educational standpoint - if you are crossing over @ 80hz in the digital domain, I assume that means your Vivid speakers are not receiving any musical content below 80hz? In which case, why would you not buy some monitors instead as surely you are wasting money buying a full range speaker if the bass drivers are totally redundant?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Interesting question. Many people will say that the amp will drive the speaker much easier. I am like you however. I run my speakers full range and use a pair of Fathom F113's to bring up the bottom end crossing out everything above 41 Hz using the crossover on the Fathom . My subs are totally invisible in the room as to where the sound is emanating from.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi DJ,

Just curious from an educational standpoint - if you are crossing over @ 80hz in the digital domain, I assume that means your Vivid speakers are not receiving any musical content below 80hz? In which case, why would you not buy some monitors instead as surely you are wasting money buying a full range speaker if the bass drivers are totally redundant?

Not speaking for DJ, but if you cross over @ 80Hz, the sound doesn't automatically cut off there. Depending on the slope, the sound could just be 3-6dB down an octave at 40Hz.

If you're using a steeper slope, it could be 12-24dB down per octave, but the steeper the slope, the more problems you run into.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Interesting question. Many people will say that the amp will drive the speaker much easier. I am like you however. I run my speakers full range and use a pair of Fathom F113's to bring up the bottom end crossing out everything above 41 Hz using the crossover on the Fathom . My subs are totally invisible in the room as to where the sound is emanating from.

That makes sense to me, Steve. I get why Dallas would do what he does also but don't then see the point of going down that route with a full range.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Not speaking for DJ, but if you cross over @ 80Hz, the sound doesn't automatically cut off there. Depending on the slope, the sound could just be 3-6dB down an octave at 40Hz.

If you're using a steeper slope, it could be 12-24dB down per octave, but the steeper the slope, the more problems you run into.

Aha - thanks, Bruce. I has assumed he would use a very steep crossover in the digital domain.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Something like the Acourate crossover as seen halfway down the page in this article:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...e-alignment-driver-linearization-walkthrough/

The crossover I use is a two octave linear phase crossover. It is important that the speaker be able to reproduce bass below the crossover.

You can see the crossover and impulse response for the crossover in this thread:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?16922-Subwoofer-2-2-vs-2-1-REW-measurements

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The crossover I use is a two octave linear phase crossover. It is important that the speaker be able to reproduce bass below the crossover.

You can see the crossover and impulse response for the crossover in this thread:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?16922-Subwoofer-2-2-vs-2-1-REW-measurements

Ah thanks. Unfortunately since the x axis is not labelled at regular intervals it is hard for me to see how much bass output is occurs when the amplitude drops to -12, -20db etc. What does 2 octaves down from 80hz take you to?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Bruce,

Even considering this factor, one could think that a G1, a G2, a G3 or a G4 should sound the same crossed at 80 Hz - they share the same mediums and tweeter and use the same techniques in bass units.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Bruce,

Even considering this factor, one could think that a G1, a G2, a G3 or a G4 should sound the same crossed at 80 Hz - they share the same mediums and tweeter and use the same techniques in bass units.

I think the G4 has something else different from the others. I could be wrong about that. I do notice that the crossover points are a little different with the G4 than the others. But, yes, that was part of my thinking when I selected the G3.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Bass and Dynamics go hand-and-hand. Two necessary conditions for big dynamics are (1) close to flat low frequency content down to 20hz at seated position and (2) speakers which can do low distortion at high SPLs over the entire bandwidth.

I definitely do not do flat at seated position , I apply a house curve .

This is one of the target curves I use as an example

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing