Vivid Giya G3

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I used the van den hul jumpers it came with. Scotty jump from mid/low to hi and the mg audio planus cables connect to the mid/low spade. Scotty did that part. :)

When Marty and I visited Philip a few weeks ago we asked about the odd way the speaker cables attach. He said that was the only way they could based on the speaker configuration

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
What subs are you using ?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
What subs are you using ?

A pair of Jl f113. I bypass the sub's controls. I use DSP and digital crossovers/delay to integrate them in my server. I use four channels out my Lynx Hilo. The subs are up against the front wall one quarter width in from sidewall.

Steve Williams

A pair of Jl f113. I bypass the sub's controls. I use DSP and digital crossovers/delay to integrate them in my server. I use four channels out my Lynx Hilo. The subs are up against the front wall one quarter width in from sidewall.
Michael

Are you running your G3 full range plus the subs to bring up the bottom end or do your Fathoms do everyone under 80Hz and the G3 above 80 Hz

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Michael

Are you running your G3 full range plus the subs to bring up the bottom end or do your Fathoms do everyone under 80Hz and the G3 above 80 Hz
It's a symmetrical 2 octave crossover which resembles an NT crossover. The speakers are high passed and the subs are low passed.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Congrats on the new speakers. Vivid's really are superb speakers, it does not surprise me that you like them better than your previous YG's. Do yours have the new tweeter protectors?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Congrats on the new speakers. Vivid's really are superb speakers, it does not surprise me that you like them better than your previous YG's. Do yours have the new tweeter protectors?

Thanks Davey!

I dunno. There are tweeter protectors. Did there used to be different tweeter protectors? The tweeter protector looks the same as mid protector.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I dunno. There are tweeter protectors. Did there used to be different tweeter protectors? The tweeter protector looks the same as mid protector.

I think those are the newer versions....I believe that the older version did not have any tweeter protection. ( a bit crazy, as the drivers are very fragile)

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Congratulations .. I have heard the G3's many many times , their bass is astonishing .. I would run the subs much lower down in the x/over..like 50hz
I have a friend that listens to 14 hours a day of music , normally with some good spliff .. he was a hifi newbie 2 years ago (but a serious music appreciator) , some B$W entry level , then to vivid 1.5's and he bit the bullet (he is not a wealthy man) and got G3's and a devialet .. he is now in audio heaven.
We did try a sub with his setup , but I thought the subless sound was better.. faster ..

The only speaker I have heard that betters the G3's in dyamics is the AG trios..
I have heard every model in the range , driven by various electronics .. and they are all amazing speakers within their class/price range

Once again.. congratulations and may you enjoy and have much pleasure with your new toys :)

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Im using 2 subs as well with my G1's .. but not to increase bass etc.. my G1's are not crossed over and the 2 subs are low passed at about 60hz .. Im waiting for delivery of 2 extra SVS sb13 ultras as I am going to run a distributed bass/swarm system where the 4 subs "interfere" with each other but smooth the room
The subs do add to the bass a little , but dirac controlls it all.. the net effect is much better bass anywhere in the room , but also the extra subs seem to contribute to a bigger soundstage and better ambient info

The swarm works real well .. tried it with cheapy yamaha subs...
in the interim , a huge chunk of my ceiling screeding fell down .. Hans Zimmer " the dark knight rises" and the G1/svs combo played at serious levels made that happen (and poor workmanship) as the ceiling resonated in sympathy

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Congratulations .. I have heard the G3's many many times , their bass is astonishing .. I would run the subs much lower down in the x/over..like 50hz
I have a friend that listens to 14 hours a day of music , normally with some good spliff .. he was a hifi newbie 2 years ago (but a serious music appreciator) , some B$W entry level , then to vivid 1.5's and he bit the bullet (he is not a wealthy man) and got G3's and a devialet .. he is now in audio heaven.
We did try a sub with his setup , but I thought the subless sound was better.. faster ..

The only speaker I have heard that betters the G3's in dyamics is the AG trios..
I have heard every model in the range , driven by various electronics .. and they are all amazing speakers within their class/price range

Once again.. congratulations and may you enjoy and have much pleasure with your new toys :)

Dynamic? that si not what jumps to mind wrt my limited experience with Giya. Smooth, balanced and refined is what I recall.
I need to listen more intently next time.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Great Bass and Dynamics

Bass and Dynamics go hand-and-hand. Two necessary conditions for big dynamics are (1) close to flat low frequency content down to 20hz at seated position and (2) speakers which can do low distortion at high SPLs over the entire bandwidth.

I think sometimes folks think that since they've spent mega bux on full range R/L speakers that the two full range speakers should be able to do everything. Maybe the speaker can do most things. However, it's impossible for only two speakers in a R/L stereo configuration in a normal size room to deliver flat seated position bass down to 20hz. This is true even with DSP, optimized speaker/seated positions and excellent room treatments. It's impossible because the speakers aren't delivering the bass below a certain frequency. In fact, it's the room (not the speakers) which delivers the bass to the seated position at the frequencies herein mentioned.

Since it's well known the room totally controls the seated position bass quality below a certain frequency, one must work with the room. Brute force or bigger/louder R/L speakers cannot solve a room problem. At some point, the bigger-is-better approach is very counterproductive.

There are a variety of solutions to solve the above mentioned problem. I've tried/measured all options over the years in my room. IME, its best to use a multi-channel DAC, a digital crossover/delay and DSP for best possible subwoofer integration. When subs are integrated in this way, the subs totally disappear from the room. Moreover, the system takes on a totally new character. Really good bass changes everything and does some really unexpected things to even the high frequencies. I don't know why but I suspect there are pyschoacoustic factors in hearing which produce this phenomenon I've experienced.

For me, listening to any pair of speakers without subs setup in this way in my room is like asking me to go on a date with a hot supermodel but not even try to give her a kiss at the end of the night. :confused:

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
congrats on the new speaks, DJ. did you pick the G3s over the G2s pretty much because you were going to cross them with subs anyways?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
congrats on the new speaks, DJ. did you pick the G3s over the G2s pretty much because you were going to cross them with subs anyways?

Yes I did. The G3 uses the same drivers as the G2 (maybe the G1 too??), except the woofers. The G3 is also a little lower to the ground. I sit about 8'6" from each speaker. I believe the G3's tweeter height is a little lower than the G2. At RMAF, I explained to Phillip how I set up my system using an 80hz crossover and where I sit in my room. He said I should buy the G3, not the G2.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Bass and Dynamics go hand-and-hand. Two necessary conditions for big dynamics are (1) close to flat low frequency content down to 20hz at seated position and (2) speakers which can do low distortion at high SPLs over the entire bandwidth.

I think sometimes folks think that since they've spent mega bux on full range R/L speakers that the two full range speakers should be able to do everything. Maybe the speaker can do most things. However, it's impossible for only two speakers in a R/L stereo configuration in a normal size room to deliver flat seated position bass down to 20hz. This is true even with DSP, optimized speaker/seated positions and excellent room treatments. It's impossible because the speakers aren't delivering the bass below a certain frequency. In fact, it's the room (not the speakers) which delivers the bass to the seated position at the frequencies herein mentioned.

DJ,
I guess I set the bar high with these 3 demo setups then:

P1010937.jpg

full system 3.jpg

Apologue Mk2.jpg

Steve Williams

Yes I did. The G3 uses the same drivers as the G2, except the woofers. The G3 is also a little lower to the ground. I sit about 8'6" from each speaker. I believe the G3's tweeter height is a little lower than the G2. At RMAF, I explained to Phillip how I set up my system using an 80hz crossover and where I sit in my room. He said I should buy the G3, not the G2.

The minor downside for me is the imaging height with the G1. When used without their supplied spikes the image of a singer's mouth is at an unrealitically high location which can be distracting. When we are at Philip's house last month he showed Marty and I that by putting on the rear and front spikes the image height could be easily adjusted downward making it more realistic

IIRC the G2 is several inches shorter than the G1 and thus the above problem is a non issue with the G2 and definitely not with the G3

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The minor downside for me is the imaging height with the G1. When used without their supplied spikes the image of a singer's mouth is at an unrealitically high location which can be distracting. When we are at Philip's house last month he showed Marty and I that by putting on the rear and front spikes the image height could be easily adjusted downward making it more realistic

IIRC the G2 is several inches shorter than the G1 and thus the above problem is a non issue with the G2 and definitely not with the G3

Steve, I think image height is an interesting topic. And I think it's a bit of a personal preference thing. I'm with you. I like a more proportional/realistic soundstage. For example, the YG professionals are great speakers, but I don't like music that high over my head. It makes me feel very uncomfortable. Even my old YG Anat III signature (one woofer) configuration required me to rake the speakers forward to get the tweeters on-axis.

But I know many others who like a really tall soundstage and I wouldn't argue with them. For me, I like to get the tweeter level at my ear height, if possible, without needing to rake the speaker forward/backward.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing