Vivid Giya G3

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hey guys, let's play nice. It is, after all, just a hobby of ours. ;)

Tom

The last comment I see that's not playing it nice is this one:

"bLizzard, I'm sorry you couldn't DIY this one with the parts found on www.partsjockey.com, or whatever place you inhabit."

I'm trying to offer Michael, and every other Giya owner advice that could not only save them money, but allow them a better listening experience. There's absolutely nothing negative about this, and the retaliation is unjustified.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I have to admit that you have some points. When I first saw the photos that JA took of the inner cabling and connections that he posted in his review for S'phile about the G1's, I was shocked! The quality looked very sub par.
However, having seen and heard the speakers, LD must be doing something very right.
Could all upgraded parts make the speaker sound a lot better?? I guess that's very possible, but is it for certain?
One thing is for certain, the price would have to rise a lot... And with those looks, which I know put a lot of people off....that may prove to be a detrimental decision in the long run.

Everything I'm saying works out when you understand completely from start to finish the process behind developing a product like this, and having success in the market with it. I have never once said that Vivid has made the wrong choices. Deciding how to implement a business like this is not just a matter of the best sound for the money, it's also a matter of getting the exposure the product requires to bring in the sales required to make the business profitable. I think Vivid, along with their top notch marketing team has done a remarkable job at fulfilling these goals. But the reality is, when you allocate this kind of funding to make it to this level marketing wise, the funding has to come from somewhere. You can't have your cake and eat it too. It's a balance of compromises. But in the end its's up to the end user to decide where the manufacturers money was best spent, on exposure, or quality? As a consumer in the market looking for the best you can get for your money, who can offer the best balance of these compromises for your specific needs? Personally I'm selfish in this regard, I'm more interested in what I'm getting for my money, not what everyone else thinks I'm getting for my money. So quality is #1 for me.

Last edited:

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia

"bLizzard, I'm sorry you couldn't DIY this one with the parts found on www.partsjockey.com, or whatever place you inhabit."

I'm trying to offer Michael, and every other Giya owner advice that could not only save them money, but allow them a better listening experience. There's absolutely nothing negative about this, and the retaliation is unjustified.

Maybe they don't want the advice Mike? Ever thought about that?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
MOD: Note to everyone. This is Michael's subforum. He has been kind enough to share his experiences with us. Please show him respect as you would an invited guest. This is not an ordinary thread/forum. Arguments and bickering does not belong in this forum.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

Hello, Blizzard and good evening to you. I don't know whether you have noticed or not but when I say something like this (not in green ink BTW), I do not point fingers at who is to blame. My comment was simply a friendly one because I saw that the conversation was getting a little too....shall I say, "involved". The WBF welcomes different viewpoints at all times, we just request that they be cordial in nature. That's all.

This was NOT a dig at you, just a friendly reminder to all that we keep this conversation kind. ;)

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hello, Blizzard and good evening to you. I don't know whether you have noticed or not but when I say something like this (not in green ink BTW), I do not point fingers at who is to blame. My comment was simply a friendly one because I saw that the conversation was getting a little too....shall I say, "involved". The WBF welcomes different viewpoints at all times, we just request that they be cordial in nature. That's all.

This was NOT a dig at you, just a friendly reminder to all that we keep this conversation kind. ;)

Tom

Okay. I wasn't sure. But I'm sure this will be the last of it as Michael is an intelligent man. Foolish men don't make it to his position in life.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Did I ask for your advice? Come to think of it, did I ask anyone on this thread for advice? I know many folks want to offer their opinions. But that doesn't mean I'm interested or I find those opinions are valuable. For future reference, if you offer me an opinion and I don't respond to it, I'm not interested in your thoughts on the subject. Feel free to start another thread on this subforum so you can offer whatever advice you want.

I started this thread to share my experience with the Vivid Giya G3. You have zero experience with this speaker. You have zero knowledge about which you speak. THE only way you could prove that you could make a vivid speaker perform better would be to actually do it. You haven't done it. Your guesswork about caps and resistors is run-of-the-mill armchair engineering, nothing more.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I invite others interested in these topics to start their own threads. Finally, I am open to criticism. I don’t pretend to know everything. As some of you know, I'm not afraid of conflict and criticism. In fact, I would be a little disappointed if there wasn't some of that here.
Michael, these were your own words.....

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Did I ask for your advice? Come to think of it, did I ask anyone on this thread for advice? I know many folks want to offer their opinions. But that doesn't mean I'm interested or I find those opinions are valuable. For future reference, if you offer me an opinion and I don't respond to it, I'm not interested in your thoughts on the subject. Feel free to start another thread on this subforum so you can offer whatever advice you want.

I started this thread to share my experience with the Vivid Giya G3. You have zero experience with this speaker. You have zero knowledge about which you speak. THE only way you could prove that you could make a vivid speaker perform better would be to actually do it. You haven't done it. Your guesswork about caps and resistors is run-of-the-mill armchair engineering, nothing more.

So all you wanted here was to brag about the G3's, and if anyone had any feedback that wasn't exactly in alignment with your thoughts and values, you don't want anything to do with it? Maybe a blog without a comment section would be better to fulfil this goal.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

"I have always been a keen advocate of the active approach to loudspeaker design, believing that the direct connection between amplifier and voice coil offers the purest route and that the precision and linearity of active electronics give a clear advantage over passive alternatives. However for "pragmatic reasons" we felt it unwise to go to market with only active speakers.

-Laurence Dickie

PROFIT

He's probably a phenomenal man, but bean counters are running the show. And for good reason, they simply aren't running a charity organization. 95% of us on here that can afford this caliber of speaker can appreciate this. Unless of course your a beneficiary of inheritance.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

When I saw that posted by Michael I knew it was in good humor. So is all the rest really; all in good humor, from everyone. :b

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Gentlemen, The management team understands the passion on both sides but the rules remain. Please be cordial, polite gentlemen when in discussion on this forum. Address each other (or ignore) in a way that would please your ancestors. Thank you in advance.

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
When I saw that posted by Michael I knew it was in good humor. So is all the rest really; all in good humor, from everyone. :b

Of course, no hard feeling here. Afterall, we all have a common goal in the end. Nothing would make me happier than seeing the smile on Michael's face that some of these "parts" would bring.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
So all you wanted here was to brag about the G3's, and if anyone had any feedback that wasn't exactly in alignment with your thoughts and values, you don't want anything to do with it? Maybe a blog without a comment section would be better to fulfil this goal.

That's right. If I don't value your opinion, I won't accept anything you have to say. . .

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"I have always been a keen advocate of the active approach to loudspeaker design, believing that the direct connection between amplifier and voice coil offers the purest route and that the precision and linearity of active electronics give a clear advantage over passive alternatives. However for "pragmatic reasons" we felt it unwise to go to market with only active speakers.

-Laurence Dickie

PROFIT

AUDIO REVIEWERS ACCOMMODATION - because pro audio reviewers have to test different amplifiers. But in the same token, PROFIT as well, yes.

Look @ pro audio designers for active loudspeakers; Bob Stuart from Meridian, the guy @ Genelec, and ...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
AUDIO REVIEWERS ACCOMMODATION - because pro audio reviewers have to test different amplifiers. But in the same token, PROFIT as well, yes.

Look @ pro audio designers for active loudspeakers; Bob Stuart from Meridian, the guy @ Genelec, and ...

Market research has shown it's very difficult to make it, offering a system that doesn't offer a way to constantly require more spending to maintain. People also want "status" It's the "status" that comes with the latest and greatest that draws the most attention. Practicality is very low on the list. if you cater to this crowd, you'll end up in the poor house.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
That's right. If I don't value your opinion, I won't accept anything you have to say. . .

We aren't children in the sandbox here. Can you not accept that I may be offering advice that can lead you to a better audio experience?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Please allow me to repeat Amir's post on the last page...

MOD: Note to everyone. This is Michael's subforum. He has been kind enough to share his experiences with us. Please show him respect as you would an invited guest. This is not an ordinary thread/forum. Arguments and bickering does not belong in this forum.

Key words, "This is not an ordinary thread/forum". Just a reminder to all...

Tom

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing