Vivid Giya G3

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I recently bought these speakers from my local dealer, Scotty Warren. I got them setup now and just started listening today. I've owned YG for many years and a few other brands before that. I love these speakers. They are a real treat. It's a bit of an adjustment at first. They are the most accurate and effortless sounding speakers I've heard.
image.jpg
image.jpg

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
This speakers blew me away at Axpona and are the ones I would try if I ever decided to go another direction. I find the aesthetics questionnaible, but would easily get over that.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've been mightily impressed every time I've heard Vivid Giya speakers!

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
This speakers blew me away at Axpona and are the ones I would try if I ever decided to go another direction. I find the aesthetics questionnaible, but would easily get over that.

Thanks Eric. It's really hard to take any speaker seriously that looks like an elf shoe. My 4 year old says they look like the number 9. But they are world class for sure and I think the design follows from some good engineering.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks Eric. It's really hard to take any speaker seriously that looks like an elf shoe. My 4 year old says they look like the number 9. But they are world class for sure and I think the design follows from some good engineering.

If I remember Philip correctly, these were designed by the same person that did the B&W Nautilus

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've been mightily impressed every time I've heard Vivid Giya speakers!

Thanks Bruce. I've been talking about getting a pair for many years. It just hit me one day a couple of weeks ago. So I didn't waste anymore time. I wish I had them earlier. They sound particularly great with loud rock/dance music. I have them crossed over to my subs at 80hz, just like I had the YGs setup. Since the bass is very full and realistic, I can push these little guys to high SPLs. There's no strain or edginess with loud tracks.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

People on this forum and elsewhere have been mightily impressed with Vivid and that consistently .. One of my friend is about to acquire the G1 coming from a much more expensive and celebrated speaker... They're on my radar

. I am with you on the aesthetics but my fiancee finds them superb looking ... Since I listen mostly in the dark .. I guess ..

@Dallas.
These are ported speakers I believe ... I prefer sealed and I thought so did you ... What's up with that? :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats, like edorr, I too was blown away by them at Axpona.

I would love to have a pair!

Of course the other great brand that I like is what you already had - YG!

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Ported speakers always have greater group delay the closer the speaker plays down to port tuning frequency. I believe the vivid G3 port is tuned to around 30hz. Since I cross over at 80hz and I can digitally control the time domain, there's no downside to the port. The G3 has very tight and articulate bass in my setup. They also sound lower distortion than the YGs from top to bottom.

People on this forum and elsewhere have been mightily impressed with Vivid and that consistently .. One of my friend is about to acquire the G1 coming from a much more expensive and celebrated speaker... They're on my radar

. I am with you on the aesthetics but my fiancee finds them superb looking ... Since I listen mostly in the dark .. I guess ..

@Dallas.
These are ported speakers I believe ... I prefer sealed and I thought so did you ... What's up with that? :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Do you really need the subs? I recall the Axpona demo generating massive amounts of bass in a room about the size of yours and obviously not nearly as acoustically optimized for bass reproduction. Have you tried to play them without subs?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Do you really need the subs? I recall the Axpona demo generating massive amounts of bass in a room about the size of yours and obviously not nearly as acoustically optimized for bass reproduction. Have you tried to play them without subs?
All speakers need subs. It's a room thang. Two speakers in the typical R/L position can't get it done, IMO.

I haven't tried them yet without subs. I like big dynamics and low distortion/accurate bass.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
All speakers need subs. It's a room thang. Two speakers in the typical R/L position can't get it done, IMO.

I haven't tried them yet without subs. I like big dynamics and low distortion/accurate bass.

Philip uses a sub with his G1's

Michael I love the speaker and have heard them countless times at shows with Philip's setup or at his house.

My friend Russ (mobiusman) just bought a pair of G3's and my friend marty would love to have a pair of G1 or G2's.

Bruce you are correct. The designer for Vivid is Laurence Dickie of B&W fame

Steve Williams

I've told Philip many times that the speaker reminds of The Diva in the movie The Fifth Element with Bruce Willis

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Michael

as an aside I am curious as to why you cross them over so high

80hz is the highest frequency at which bass cannot be localized. Floyd Toole talks about this in his book. Mono subs offer the smoothest bass response. I've measured many different ways (various crossovers and mono versus stereo) I set my subs up the way Toole describes in his book for a system with two subs. It works very well and the subs cannot be localized. The stereo image remains perfectly intact.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Philip uses a sub with his G1's

Michael I love the speaker and have heard them countless times at shows with Philip's setup or at his house.

My friend Russ (mobiusman) just bought a pair of G3's and my friend marty would love to have a pair of G1 or G2's.

Bruce you are correct. The designer for Vivid is Laurence Dickie of B&W fame

I know Russ got a great deal on his pair. I almost bought that pair too. He just got there before me. :)

Steve Williams

80hz is the highest frequency at which bass cannot be localized. Floyd Toole talks about this in his book. Mono subs offer the smoothest bass response. I've measured both ways. I set my subs up the way Toole describes in his book for a system with two subs. It works very well and the subs cannot be localized. The stereo image remains perfectly intact.

Precisely why I asked.I always thought it was 75 Hz

Steve Williams

I know Russ got a great deal on his pair. I almost bought that pair too. He just got there before me. :)

Did you have any issues with the biwiring in the bottom of the speakers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing