Success beyond death

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I know it's a morbid topic. But there are many excellent products designed by folks who are getting up there in age. Which audiophile manufacturers are best suited to succeed after the "one man" passes on to the absolute sound in the sky?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wilson, as the son is doing great.

I agree. Dave has taken Daryl under his wings for the past 4-5 years and if I am not mistaken Daryl has been intimately involved in the production of all the newest Wilson speakers in that time although I do believe Dave's much anticipated WAMM will be his final hurrah by which he will be judged

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi if any successful designer were to adopt me, I am willing to carry on his company after he passes on

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I heard the Von Schweikert vr55 Aktive at RMAF. IIRC, Albert's son designed that speaker. If that's true, I think VSA is in great shape.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Apparently Thiel didn't.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
It seems like things kept chugging along after Peter Walker died. I think he sold Quad to IAG before he passed. That's one of those brands which could never die no matter what. It reminds me of during the financial crisis, Chrysler wanted a bailout from the government. People were actually saying Jeep would permanently go out of business. Great brands never die.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It seems like things kept chugging along after Peter Walker died. I think he sold Quad to IAG before he passed. That's one of those brands which could never die no matter what. It reminds me of during the financial crisis, Chrysler wanted a bailout from the government. People were actually saying Jeep would permanently go out of business. Great brands never die.

Without family to step in often these small companies die with the founder, mostly they're too small to afford a successor or a 2nd in charge with the same vision to follow. Sale to a bigger corporation is mostly a marketing tool unless in rare cases like Genesis where the new owner has the same vision as the founder, then they survive for a while.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I pay a lot of attention to the robustness, likely longevity and the "real-business" aspects of the companies whose products I purchase. My solution is to make sure the designer is not much older than I am.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Apparently Thiel didn't.

It pains me to see whats happed to this Brand and Jims Legacy...

Dont blame the Family for selling, but the people who bought the brand would have been better advised at setting up a new name, as previous owners of the Cs series will not give a damn about the new models!
looks like the Cs .7 will be the final encore....

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Yes but now Quad are just another manufacturer, they haven't produced anything new since 'current dumping ', and that was when they were still run by PJW.
Keith.

I agree that there hasn't been much innovation since Walker passed. But one must tip the cap to his design because they still sell all these years later and still hold up for many audiophiles in terms of performance. Sure there are weaknesses to the design. But Quads aren't going anywhere because they sound great and the design hasn't been changed. Maybe that's what Thiel should have done. IOW, I wonder if Thiel would have done much better after his passing if the company had been sold to investors who wanted to retain his basic designs and just make them a little better, like quad.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
While I was not his son, I did become friends with John Dunlavy and his wife and was offered to buy the company when he wanted to get out. But I was smart enough to know that it was his genius and background (and quirkiness) that was the key to his great sounding speakers. He sold (but not exactly) to someone who actually thought that a high end audio company could be successful without the passion. It lasted maybe a year.

With the exception of maybe companies like Harmon, these high end audio companies (mostly boutique) are run by (mostly) men with a great passion for either music and/or the technology that makes music sound great. History shows how many fail without that kind of leadership.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing