Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Success beyond death

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    It seems like things kept chugging along after Peter Walker died. I think he sold Quad to IAG before he passed. That's one of those brands which could never die no matter what. It reminds me of during the financial crisis, Chrysler wanted a bailout from the government. People were actually saying Jeep would permanently go out of business. Great brands never die.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    It seems like things kept chugging along after Peter Walker died. I think he sold Quad to IAG before he passed. That's one of those brands which could never die no matter what. It reminds me of during the financial crisis, Chrysler wanted a bailout from the government. People were actually saying Jeep would permanently go out of business. Great brands never die.
    Without family to step in often these small companies die with the founder, mostly they're too small to afford a successor or a 2nd in charge with the same vision to follow. Sale to a bigger corporation is mostly a marketing tool unless in rare cases like Genesis where the new owner has the same vision as the founder, then they survive for a while.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    I pay a lot of attention to the robustness, likely longevity and the "real-business" aspects of the companies whose products I purchase. My solution is to make sure the designer is not much older than I am.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse with 2 power supplies; amplifier: TBD
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 15' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Apparently Thiel didn't.
    It pains me to see whats happed to this Brand and Jims Legacy...

Dont blame the Family for selling, but the people who bought the brand would have been better advised at setting up a new name, as previous owners of the Cs series will not give a damn about the new models!
    looks like the Cs .7 will be the final encore....
    Analog: Acoustic Solid Wood MPX Reference Microcontroller, SME M2-12, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Digital: Rega Apollo, Chord 2 Qute
    Amp: Roksan Caspian M2 + DX-2 Ref Phono
    Speaker Kef-LS 50
    Cables: all MIT Magnum M3, M1 Phono, Magnum AC1

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
    Yes but now Quad are just another manufacturer, they haven't produced anything new since 'current dumping ', and that was when they were still run by PJW.
    Keith.
    I agree that there hasn't been much innovation since Walker passed. But one must tip the cap to his design because they still sell all these years later and still hold up for many audiophiles in terms of performance. Sure there are weaknesses to the design. But Quads aren't going anywhere because they sound great and the design hasn't been changed. Maybe that's what Thiel should have done. IOW, I wonder if Thiel would have done much better after his passing if the company had been sold to investors who wanted to retain his basic designs and just make them a little better, like quad.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

While I was not his son, I did become friends with John Dunlavy and his wife and was offered to buy the company when he wanted to get out. But I was smart enough to know that it was his genius and background (and quirkiness) that was the key to his great sounding speakers. He sold (but not exactly) to someone who actually thought that a high end audio company could be successful without the passion. It lasted maybe a year.

With the exception of maybe companies like Harmon, these high end audio companies (mostly boutique) are run by (mostly) men with a great passion for either music and/or the technology that makes music sound great. History shows how many fail without that kind of leadership.
    “Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me” - Gordon Holt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12