The ultimate shoot-out.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This weekend, I am looking forward to a major shoot out between some of the 'supposed' best speakers available. The occasion is hosted by a local a'phile who happens to own a pair of Acapella Excalibur Triolon V's and a pair of the new Marten Coltrane Supreme 2's. Against these we are going to be listening to 'the worlds best speaker' ( according to the manufacturer).... a pair of YG acoustic Sonja 1.3's. The shoot out should be interesting as the combined cost of these three speakers is well over $700K!
We may be also throwing into the mix the older Wilson Alex 2's....??? Nonetheless, the ancillary gear will also be first order.
The local dealer of the YG's is pretty confident that David ( the YG's) will slay all-comers....we shall see.

I will report back after the shoot-out with my thoughts....

Meantime, any one want to speculate on who the winner will be?:D

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The winner will be the bank account of the winning speaker's designer!

Sounds like a great time!

Lee

Indeed, although this a'phile club member already owns the Wilson's, the Acapella's and the Marten's. I guess if the YG's take the honor, they may well be added to the 'collection'.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'm glad it's at least a speaker shootout and not something lame; eg. DAC shootout, music server shootout or cable lifter shootout. :D

The YGs should win that one. Vivid G1 would make things more interesting. Maybe Phillip can drag his pair over to claim first prize. . .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyone who wants to do a shootout between YG, Wilsons, Sonus Faber, MBL, Daniel Herz, Vivid, Focal, and such should visit Audioconcept in Stockholm. You can shootout in an SMT room with Spectral, Boulder, Pass, Reimyo, Nagra, Atmasphere, etc and such electronics.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
See the following link as regards the Acapella and Marten loudspeakers:

http://www.dagogo.com/second-visit-home-infamous-encinitas-jim/2

Why on earth should one speaker upfront 'beat' all the other loudspeakers? I really do not understand such comments made by people like Dallas justice who have likely not heard all mentioned speakers, let alone in the environment in which they apparently can be heard next weekend.

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
The one that costs the most and has the most drivers and is notoriously difficult to drive will undoubtedly win...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The one that costs the most and has the most drivers and is notoriously difficult to drive will undoubtedly win...

We audiofools certainly like complication

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. I've heard all three brands. I owned the YG for almost 4 years. It's a better speaker than the other two. However, I think vivid does give YG a run for it. I just bought a new pair of speakers and ill post about it later on.

See the following link as regards the Acapella and Marten loudspeakers:

http://www.dagogo.com/second-visit-home-infamous-encinitas-jim/2

Why on earth should one speaker upfront 'beat' all the other loudspeakers? I really do not understand such comments made by people like Dallas justice who have likely not heard all mentioned speakers, let alone in the environment in which they apparently can be heard next weekend.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. I've heard all three brands. I owned the YG for almost 4 years. It's a better speaker than the other two. However, I think vivid does give YG a run for it. I just bought a new pair of speakers and ill post about it later on.

The quality of loudspeakers can vary greatly within one brand. Have you ever heard the Coltrane supreme 2 under controlled circumstances? This is Martens top of the bill loudspeaker that cannot be compared to its little brothers and sisters. And have you ever heard this specific Acapella loudspeaker?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The quality of loudspeakers can vary greatly within one brand.
I disagree. A designer's talent or competence is there or not there with every speaker they release. Speaker designers generally don't change their designs much over the years. They typically just release the same thing over and over in slightly different packages for marketing purposes. That's my opinion as to which will "win."

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
How do you do a meaningful speaker shootout.... its taken me 6 months to optimize mine in a dedicated and treated room...and thats just one pair

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
How long is this comparison going to take? You will be comparing 3 or 4 speakers that are going to have to be set up in their optimum position in the room. These are heavy speakers to move in and out and that takes a lot of time and our audio memory isn't that good.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
This weekend, I am looking forward to a major shoot out between some of the 'supposed' best speakers available. The occasion is hosted by a local a'phile who happens to own a pair of Acapella Excalibur Triolon V's and a pair of the new Marten Coltrane Supreme 2's. Against these we are going to be listening to 'the worlds best speaker' ( according to the manufacturer).... a pair of YG acoustic Sonja 1.3's. The shoot out should be interesting as the combined cost of these three speakers is well over $700K!
We may be also throwing into the mix the older Wilson Alex 2's....??? Nonetheless, the ancillary gear will also be first order.
The local dealer of the YG's is pretty confident that David ( the YG's) will slay all-comers....we shall see.

I will report back after the shoot-out with my thoughts....

Meantime, any one want to speculate on who the winner will be?:D

So where are the Tidal L'Assolutas, Goldmund Apologues, Vox Olympians, top AGuards, Perfect 8, Stenheim reference Statement, EA MM7,FM Acoustics, Cabasse La Sphere, Focal Utopia, Genesis, lansche, Franco Serblin, SFaber, Gauder, Gamut, Vienna , plus some nice Omnis like German Physics/Zeta Zero/MBL, etc? Shootout is missing some major "gunslingers".

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I disagree. A designer's talent or competence is there or not there with every speaker they release. Speaker designers generally don't change their designs much over the years. They typically just release the same thing over and over in slightly different packages for marketing purposes. That's my opinion as to which will "win."

Where did you get THAT from. Often the tech is way different and even when not, the budget per speaker is quite different in scale.

Whereas what you say for Golmund wireless is true to a large extent, I would not say the same for say Vapor or Focal, for example.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Have fun Davey! Don't let the naysayers discourage you.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..comical that VSA seldom makes "best of" lists here. The VR11s would give any of the afore mentioned world beaters a run for their money...sheesh..

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
How do you do a meaningful speaker shootout.... its taken me 6 months to optimize mine in a dedicated and treated room...and thats just one pair

Precisely.

The shoot-out will be pretty invalid, most likely.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Meantime, any one want to speculate on who the winner will be?:D

How do you want us to rank them? According to weight, height, volume, area of drivers or efficiency? ;)

I hope you have a great time - I am waiting to read your opinions with lots of detail about the systems!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing