Amp Recommendations for Magnepan 12/QR

warrene00

Nov 16, 2015
Alright so I have kind of preliminarily focused my power amp search on the following amps to power my Mangnepan 12/qr. My existing amp is just not cutting it (Onkyo A-9555) as it is not sufficiently powerful to drive the maggies.

Amp choices:

MSD A-400 (used)
Emotiva XPA-2 (new)
McCormack DNA .5 (used)
Bryston 4B (used)

I really want to go with the McCormack .5 as the reviews of the musicality of this amp are so positive. However, I am a little wary that it will not be able to sufficiently power my Maggies. On the other end of the spectrum is the Emotiva, which has power a plenty. I am just concerned that the Emotiva does not have the build/component quality of the other amps listed.

Any help or opinions is appreciated. The rest of my equipment I will be using is as follows:

Source: Rega Planar 3 w/ Ortofon red, Groovetracer subplatter, upgraded motor

Phono Stage: Rega Fono MM

Pre-amp: Pro-Ject Pre Box RS pre-amp

Speakers: Magnepan 12/QR

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't know the amps you mention. I do know however that Emotiva has a 30-day return policy with 100% refund.. So ...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Alright so I have kind of preliminarily focused my power amp search on the following amps to power my Mangnepan 12/qr. My existing amp is just not cutting it (Onkyo A-9555) as it is not sufficiently powerful to drive the maggies.

Amp choices:

MSD A-400 (used)
Emotiva XPA-2 (new)
McCormack DNA .5 (used)
Bryston 4B (used)

I really want to go with the McCormack .5 as the reviews of the musicality of this amp are so positive. However, I am a little wary that it will not be able to sufficiently power my Maggies. On the other end of the spectrum is the Emotiva, which has power a plenty. I am just concerned that the Emotiva does not have the build/component quality of the other amps listed.

Any help or opinions is appreciated. The rest of my equipment I will be using is as follows:

Since you are familiar with Onkyo M5000R is a BEAST. It will make your Maggies sing...$2500..about 240 wpc into 4 ohms.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Amp choices:

MSD A-400 (used)
Emotiva XPA-2 (new)
McCormack DNA .5 (used)
Bryston 4B (used)

Open to an integrated? I have one for you that will drive a 2 ohm load like picking its nose.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Amp choices:

MSD A-400 (used)
Emotiva XPA-2 (new)
McCormack DNA .5 (used)
Bryston 4B (used)

Of the amps you mention, I'd take the Bryston.

If you want an Integrated with included DAC, I can't recommend enough the Parasond Halo Integrated ($2495). I'm using that on my Maggie 1.7i speakers.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Get a magtech +1

drives any speaker ever built or in the future

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, agreed definitely a Magtec or the Bryston would be great as well. Even a used Sunfire from Bob Carver would be awesome, I used one back in the day when my hearing was sharper...

If you're after a greater sense of control and simplicity all in one, try to check out a carefully used McIntosh integrated, it will drive the maggies with superb musicality and sound-staging that you have yet to experience from your maggies. A brand new Mac would be awesome as well as a brand new Magtec. I'm not too sure at all what you can find around in your location on the used market with these brands.

Onkyo... ? I used to have a university room mate that used to blast his Cervin Vega's with an Onyko integrated, no musicality whatsoever or any proper soundstage for that matter, just loudness, great for frat parties and goodness knows what else went on during those 80's, it was all too blurry at the time...
Cheers, RJ

Darby

Jun 23, 2015
I concur. Magtechs are simply superb,in any system on any speaker/s
As a less expensive alternative though, the Parasound Halo integrated would also work very well indeed. IMO, it is one of the best kept secrets in integrated amplifiers
Get a magtech +1

drives any speaker ever built or in the future

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I don't know the amps you mention. I do know however that Emotiva has a 30-day return policy with 100% refund.. So ...

There is no question, I would get the Emotiva and give their 30 day refund policy a run for the money!

I have one of their pre-pros and it is excellent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing