How to be an audiophile on the cheap

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
Or go with something simple like an Omega single driver speaker + small SET amp. Omegas are more satisfying an experience vs most multi-way speakers under $5kish, depending on listening habits and preferences of course. They aren't great for blasting Led Zeppelin or playing large symphony pieces, but they are amazing with some kinds of music.

Led Zeppelin is actually quite a good fit for small fullrange drivers and OB systems, provided you stay within their midrange power limits. None of the studio albums have any significant bass. They all roll off below 80 Hz. "Celebration Day" is the only one that gives the bass drivers a workout.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Led Zeppelin is actually quite a good fit for small fullrange drivers and OB systems, provided you stay within their midrange power limits. None of the studio albums have any significant bass. They all roll off below 80 Hz. "Celebration Day" is the only one that gives the bass drivers a workout.

Led Zeppelin isn't a good fit for any HiFi system imo... you want a nice, warm, smooth mid-fi system instead. Many small full-range drivers are very resolving, not good for dinosaur rock... I can say for sure it doesn't sound good on my 4.5" single drivers, or on my 3-ways either.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I disagree. Of course there are tons of different Led Zeppelin CDs out there, and most of them are really bad. But take the recent 24/96s, or a good and proper LP, and it'll sound amazing on the 2-ways I've had at my disposal.

I remember cranking it really loud at the Newport show, with Evolution's MiniTwos (2-way+powerer woofer), and also here in the store, with YG Carmel 2s (2-way floorstander), Evolution MicroOnes and Enigmacoustics 2-way bookshelf speakers. No strain, and good, solid bass.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
I disagree. Of course there are tons of different Led Zeppelin CDs out there, and most of them are really bad. But take the recent 24/96s, or a good and proper LP, and it'll sound amazing on the 2-ways I've had at my disposal. ...

I have the original LP and CD releases and have had the opportunity to compare them with some of the recent remasters. They're all quite similar in spectral response. Note that I was not commenting on the overall sound quality, just that they won't overtax "bass SPL" challenged systems. It's quite revelatory how huge a track like "Kashmir" can sound on small speakers. When considering sound quality, I'll grant that modern highly resolving systems can reveal the shortcomings - they don't sound as good as I remember them from my youth. :)

I identify strongly with the thread subject. I prefer to spend money on software, not hardware. I apply the 80/20 rule, and try to buy used gear that has a good reputation. My musical tastes tend towards "manufactured" music (rock, metal, alternative / grunge) so I don't place a high priority on attributes such as a realistic soundstage. I dislike resonances and several forms of distortion, fortunately most modern gear gets these basics right.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing