How to be an audiophile on the cheap

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
Thanks Mike. I had a couple of them already:

Any others that come to mind that you would recommend?

Nils Lofgren: Acoustic Live, track 3, turn it up to 95db when the acoustic guitar starts....... enjoy

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nils Lofgren: Acoustic Live, track 3, turn it up to 95db when the acoustic guitar starts....... enjoy
Thanks. I have that wonderful album but my favorite is track 5: "Keith Don't Go". I find the guitar there intoxicating and demanding of even more than 95 db. :D What do you think of that one?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If you are to talk jazz ans bass in the same sentence You are destined to become a fan of this instrument.

You should definitely have this album available in vinyl and ADA. Clarke does about everything you can do with a bass including switching to electric.
stanley clark.jpg

Attachments

• double bass.jpg
    double bass.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 271

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Stanley Clarke is amazing, saw him some years ago playing with Victor Wooten at the Boulder Theater... also recently got the album "Jazz in the Garden" by the Stanley Clarke Trio with Hiromi and Lenny White. I am (was?) a bass player, he is an inspiration...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Greg (and Dave). It sounds excellent even on my laptop speakers!

Ordered the CD from Amazon as I could not find high-res versions.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Spanish Suites for String and Bass

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Even more excellent Greg. Can't wait for the CD to arrive.

Say, did you create a new thread on Spanish guitar a day or two ago? I saw it on my phone I think but now don't remember where you put it.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Taking the thread in a different direction I would say the best way to get into high end audio at an audiophile status would be to buy equipment used. Thanks goodness for Audiogon, USAudiomart and even EBay.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum Marty with a good first post :). Didn't realize there was a USAudiomart. When did they open that shop?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Taking the thread in a different direction I would say the best way to get into high end audio at an audiophile status would be to buy equipment used. Thanks goodness for Audiogon, USAudiomart and even EBay.

Or go with something simple like an Omega single driver speaker + small SET amp. Omegas are more satisfying an experience vs most multi-way speakers under $5kish, depending on listening habits and preferences of course. They aren't great for blasting Led Zeppelin or playing large symphony pieces, but they are amazing with some kinds of music.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome to the forum Marty with a good first post :). Didn't realize there was a USAudiomart. When did they open that shop?
It's part of Canuck Audio Mart....they expanded to other countries about a year ago...maybe 2.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Great direction Dave. In entry level high end audio the KISS principle is a good one to follow starting out. Not the one by Gene Simmons.

Or go with something simple like an Omega single driver speaker + small SET amp. Omegas are more satisfying an experience vs most multi-way speakers under $5kish, depending on listening habits and preferences of course. They aren't great for blasting Led Zeppelin or playing large symphony pieces, but they are amazing with some kinds of music.

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
Thanks. I have that wonderful album but my favorite is track 5: "Keith Don't Go". I find the guitar there intoxicating and demanding of even more than 95 db. :D What do you think of that one?
Love that track 5 as well, especially the strong opening.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

You are right. I started out buying used equipment from my audio friends who were constantly upgrading. I was able to get a good price and knew the components history. Free music will save a lot of money and the broadcast qulity is much better. KISS Keep it simple stupid and small. You can now get a DAC and integrated amp all in one for a fair price e.g. the PS Audio Sprout($499)One electroniic box plus speakers.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes that's it. Thanks.

You're welcome, and you're right about buying gently used. Other than my Oracle Paris I've bought everything used and mostly through CanuckAudioMart. I like buying at $0.50 on the dollar. :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Some other benefits of buying used are you get it faster; it is usually plug an [lay(pre-broken in). As opposed to new where you place your order and wait for it to arrive one day.. Then there is the lengthy breakin and sales tax.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing