Which Synology NAS

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Wasn't this data already available on another disk or device? If that's the case that's your back-up ;)

Make sure it is RAID 1 when you rebuild it. Forget about the Hybrid Synology RAID since you have only two disks. SHR starts making sense when you have more than 3 HDD. Hope that helps. And keep in mind that however annoying the first steps are, once this is set-up, not much else to do. Just rip and save on the NAS and enjoy the music. :)

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Well unfortunately not all of the data was on there and it for some reason won't accept anymore not sure why so a bit stumped.

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Alright figuring some things out, backing up the Synology with Glacier/Amazon cloud for now, then I will remove the volume set up RAID1 and then restore my data from the cloud. But what a pita figuring this stuff out, both on the Synology front AND the Glacier/Amazon front. It appears the baseline for everyone these days is somewhere between engineer and computer genius. :p

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Aha finally got it figured out! Either one disk or one of the bays is DOA, I won't know which until a new drive arrives tomorrow but at least now I know I wasn't just doing it wrong!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, good find. Quality of hard disks has really declined in recent years. I usually buy them locally as they seem to arrive in better shape than buying one or two and getting it subjected to shipping on their own.

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
amirm I probably should have picked it up locally but due to holiday related busy-ness, in the wine wholesale biz, I had one overnighted from Amazon. What you say makes me glad I used Glacier and backed my data up in a AWS cloud service, even when I finally get my RAID1 setup the cloud will be a nice backup to my backup.

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Sucess! It was a DOA drive, the new drive is in and working well RAID has been setup correctly and now retrieving my backed up data from Amazon's cloud service!

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
I could cry, my Glacier cloud restore was going painfully slow at 38% restored after 7 days. And then today cleaning ladies were in, they know not to touch the stereo, but unplugged my Synology! Restore was gone had to start a new one at zero, for whatever reason the restore of my 280 GB is going to take close to a month. AWS says its my slow internet, which seems unlikely over 100 mbps coming off my modem router that the Synology is hardwired to, if not they said it's the Synologys too slow write speed. Either way I'm basically screwed, thank god I can at least still listen to Tidal.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I could cry, my Glacier cloud restore was going painfully slow at 38% restored after 7 days. And then today cleaning ladies were in, they know not to touch the stereo, but unplugged my Synology! Restore was gone had to start a new one at zero, for whatever reason the restore of my 280 GB is going to take close to a month. AWS says its my slow internet, which seems unlikely over 100 mbps coming off my modem router that the Synology is hardwired to, if not they said it's the Synologys too slow write speed. Either way I'm basically screwed, thank god I can at least still listen to Tidal.

That really sucks.

Why don't you restore to an internal hard drive which will be much faster and then build the NAS from that?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
RAID is not a substitute for backups! Probably already stated many times, just throwing it out there. You buy all the drives at the same time and it is not at all uncommon for a couple to die at once or within hours or days of each other. Don't ask how I know this...

I went with the DS415+ for the faster processor and I wanted a four-bay design. I used Seagate enterprise-level drives to create a 10 TB'ish NAS after a lot of research on various drives and their reliability. Since I am nowhere near capacity I attached a 5 TB USB drive and set up nightly backups. I can chain another 5 TB drive later if needed.

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Well some good news for whatever reason this new Glacier restore is going much faster already up to 32% in 4 days more the twice as fast as my initial restore. Dminches I don't really understand your comment, Glacier backed the NAS up and I am restoring it to the NAS, what other hard drive do you mean? And DonH5O are you saying that even with RAID1 configured and one of my drives backing up the other, I should continue to also use Glacier as a backup system?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Well some good news for whatever reason this new Glacier restore is going much faster already up to 32% in 4 days more the twice as fast as my initial restore. Dminches I don't really understand your comment, Glacier backed the NAS up and I am restoring it to the NAS, what other hard drive do you mean? And DonH5O are you saying that even with RAID1 configured and one of my drives backing up the other, I should continue to also use Glacier as a backup system?

Writing to a NAS can be slow, especially since it is filling a RAID array during the process. My comment was that you could restore the files to a good old external (or internal) drive so that you have the files local and then copy to the NAS. I have no idea what other computer equipment you have so I don't know if this is possible.

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
dminches I understand now and not possible stuck writing to the NAS but at least it's going faster this time! Thanks for explaining things.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
And DonH5O are you saying that even with RAID1 configured and one of my drives backing up the other, I should continue to also use Glacier as a backup system?

Yup. As drives fail bad data can be faithfully replicated to the other drive, leading to corrupted data on both, although error correction should prevent it. It is also quite possible for two drives to fail nearly simultaneously (maybe just me, but I have had that happen twice fairly recently, in different PCs, leading me to develop a more robust backup scheme). Things like power glitches (e.g. a failing power supply) can corrupt both drives, as could an OS glitch. And so forth. My NAS stripes across four drives and should be able to recover from a two-drive failure, but I am backing up just in case.

However, if your NAS is like mine, you have the option to use an additional USB or Ethernet drive direct-attached to the NAS to back up the data. My more paranoid, or cautious depending upon your point of view, friends back up their NAS RAID to a local RAID system and to off-site storage (Cloud or remote NAS). Commercial server systems have redundant power supplies, redundant RAID controllers, etc.

FWIWFM - Don

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011

You have to love all the hype about the 'Cloud'. It's great for small, incremental, retrieval but not so much for the whole shebang. I feel for ya...

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Yup. As drives fail bad data can be faithfully replicated to the other drive, leading to corrupted data on both, although error correction should prevent it. It is also quite possible for two drives to fail nearly simultaneously (maybe just me, but I have had that happen twice fairly recently, in different PCs, leading me to develop a more robust backup scheme). Things like power glitches (e.g. a failing power supply) can corrupt both drives, as could an OS glitch. And so forth. My NAS stripes across four drives and should be able to recover from a two-drive failure, but I am backing up just in case.

However, if your NAS is like mine, you have the option to use an additional USB or Ethernet drive direct-attached to the NAS to back up the data. My more paranoid, or cautious depending upon your point of view, friends back up their NAS RAID to a local RAID system and to off-site storage (Cloud or remote NAS). Commercial server systems have redundant power supplies, redundant RAID controllers, etc.

FWIWFM - Don

Many NAS units support back round block level duplication to another same NAS over WAN links.

So if you have a friend you each get the same NAS, Double the amount of storage and setup replication cross site.

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Well I do have a friend lol perhaps even several but no other audionuts. However the good news is that for whatever reason having to restart my restore turned out to be a good thing its going much faster now, I just hit 50% in 4 days so looking at maybe an 8 day or so restore much better than the 3-4 weeks I was anticipating. Plus the real reason it's such a hardship now is my own fault, I couldn't wait to get started putting stuff on it and did it before I realized I had a DOA drive and had to start from scratch setting RAID up properly. In the future it shouldn't be an issue so I'll continue using the cloud a a secondary backup system. Perhaps I'll also pick up an additional external drive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing