Getting my VU Meters to function

musicmanbob

Jul 12, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Hope I'm asking this question so all will know what I'm asking. I'm not all that tech inclined. I've looked hard, but can't find where I read the following ..... There is a way to get VU meters to function even when one uses a direct feed tape head pre amp. If there is a way to do that, I won't have to have a separate VU meter box built for my Amina HD-4 tube pre amp. Was I dreaming? Thanks for all comments. :b

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Assuming your Classe Preamp has a set of "record out" jacks:

-Connect a cable from the record out jacks to line input of your Tascam deck.

-Put Tascam deck into source monitor mode.

-If you want to calibrate the meters, play a 400 or 1K tone from an MLR 250 nWb/m test tape and adjust the Tascam line input pots for a 0VU indication. This will be a +3 operating level. If you want the meters set to +6 operating level, adjust for a -3VU indication.

musicmanbob

Jul 12, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good Thursday afternoon Tapetech and thank you for providing this very clear information. I was seriously thinking about having a separate VU meter designed by the same gentleman who actually built my tube tape head pre amp. This looks like it will save me dollars since I can get the same results while using the meters on my Tascam 42B deck. Again, I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. Thank you very much.

bob:b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing