JRiver DSP Room Correction Function

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Has anyone had the opportunity to use JRiver's DSP room correction function? If so, how well does it work and is it difficult to use?

Thanks,
Ken

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have a pal with Giya G2's and a 200 devialet who uses Jriver
Bass was awful .. bloated one note..setting 3 simple parametric eq filters in Jriver totally transformed the sound , all below 200hz

I used a Umik1 and REW to find the trouble spots ..did the DSP and then tune by ear .. as any correction should not be flat .. you need to overlay a preference curve

I havent tried their full room correction , but have used Dirac, Acourate etc.. all work real well .. better in bass than at freqs over 300hz or so.
It's free with J river.. so you might as well give it a go.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Bass was awful .. bloated one note..setting 3 simple parametric eq filters in Jriver totally transformed the sound , all below 200hz

I used a Umik1 and REW to find the trouble spots ..did the DSP and then tune by ear .. as any correction should not be flat .. you need to overlay a preference curve

I havent tried their full room correction , but have used Dirac, Acourate etc.. all work real well .. better in bass than at freqs over 300hz or so.

Thanks Rodney, great post!

Ken

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Ypsilon electronics drive Giyas very well!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ypsilon electronics drive Giyas very well!

I have heard G1 with Ypsilon Aelius 200w hybrid monos. Pretty good tone. Joel recommends that as well

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
This was a room problem rather than an equipment mismatch...
Dunno if we can get Ypsilon here in South Africa or if there is a local agent ..
I havent tried much else other then Devialet on mine , but have heard some other amps on some of my pals giya systems..difficult to extrapolate as all the various rooms were different as was the sound

Most of the 12 local vivid audio owners I know also use devialet in one form or another.. excellent VFM and SQ.. a single box solution..
I spent most of my extra hifi budget on rebuilding my room and room treatments and so on..Im skin't now .. will have to wait till I come back from Ireland in January before I have some more ready cash.:)

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
To bring this thread back onto its original track, does anyone else have any experience using JRiver's DSP room correction function? If so, how well does it work and how do you go about using this function?

Thanks,
Ken

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
To bring this thread back onto its original track, does anyone else have any experience using JRiver's DSP room correction function? If so, how well does it work and how do you go about using this function?

Thanks,
Ken

The reason why no body has responded is because Jriver doesn't have a room correction function. There are some basic EQ parameters one could set. However, Jriver was never designed to be a stand alone room correction suite. One would need different software to generate the filters needed and those filters need to be added somehow to Jriver's DSP engine.

I've tried every software DSP method. I've tried generating custom EQ filters generated from REW. But the big advancement comes with using the Jriver convolution engine. One would use third party software to generate filters and install those filters in the Jriver convolver for best possible results.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
The reason why no body has responded is because Jriver doesn't have a room correction function. There are some basic EQ parameters one could set. However, Jriver was never designed to be a stand alone room correction suite. One would need different software to generate the filters needed and those filters need to be added somehow to Jriver's DSP engine.

I've tried every software DSP method. I've tried generating custom EQ filters generated from REW. But the big advancement comes with using the Jriver convolution engine. One would use third party software to generate filters and install those filters in the Jriver convolver for best possible results.

Thanks DJ, this is exactly what I'm curious about. Could you describe what are the basic EQ parameters in JRiver?

Also, do you have any experience with third-party EQ software that could be added to work in conjunction with the JRiver engine?

Thanks so much!
Ken

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
The best policy is to use J rivers parametric in the low bass below 300 hz .. minimum phase stuff etc. Just cleaning up the bass is often all thats required

Acourate or bruteFir will work to create filters for J river.. Acourate costs , bruteFIr is free..(afaik)

there are hardware solutions that free you to use whatever playback scheme / ui you want , such as the miniDSP openDRC di and their dirac based DDRC series , DEQX , trinnov , lyngdorf , Dspeaker antimode 2.0

Generally Used after the player and before the dac.. some of them are also dacs and pres's ....

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Jriver has a basic EQ. Theres not much to describe. I've used the filters recommended by REW. That's very basic but can offer just okay results. The best solutions will be the filters generated by Audiolense and Acourate, IME. You will need a calibrated mic and DAC/ADC with a mic pre. You can demo either software. Of course, DIRAC can be demoed too but Dirac doesn't really work inside Jriver. It requires its own processor. I think Dirac is good but better results are possible using Acourate or Audiolense, IME. If you get the aforementioned gear, ask some more questions and I'll help out, if I can.

Thanks DJ, this is exactly what I'm curious about. Could you describe what are the basic EQ parameters in JRiver?

Also, do you have any experience with third-party EQ software that could be added to work in conjunction with the JRiver engine?

Thanks so much!
Ken

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
UMIK 1 usb mic is pretty good at $70 .. comes with cal files , tripod , case etc .. no pre required , just plug it in to the pc/lappy and set it as the default recording device

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Jriver has a basic EQ. Theres not much to describe. I've used the filters recommended by REW. That's very basic but can offer just okay results. The best solutions will be the filters generated by Audiolense and Acourate, IME. You will need a calibrated mic and DAC/ADC with a mic pre. You can demo either software. Of course, DIRAC can be demoed too but Dirac doesn't really work inside Jriver. It requires its own processor. I think Dirac is good but better results are possible using Acourate or Audiolense, IME. If you get the aforementioned gear, ask some more questions and I'll help out, if I can.

LoL

i recall when you were a TOTAL Dirac guy. Its hard to see you back away from them...but I guess its good to go where the evidence takes you.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Of course, DIRAC can be demoed too but Dirac doesn't really work inside Jriver. It requires its own processor.
Yes but note that there is an unofficial VST-plugin version of DIRAC that does work within JRiver nicely.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yes but note that there is an unofficial VST-plugin version of DIRAC that does work within JRiver nicely.

Looking to embed Dirac in Jriver as you've done -- could you point me to this plugin? An admittedly quick web search didn't yield anything useful. Thanks

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
That's true. I favor the Jriver convolution engine because it auto corrects for filter latency so there aren't any lip sync issues with TV or movies.
I don't use it with TV or movies so it is not an issue for me.

Looking to embed Dirac in Jriver as you've done -- could you point me to this plugin? An admittedly quick web search didn't yield anything useful. Thanks
It is unofficial and you will have to inquire from DIRAC to pursue it.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Thanks so much!
Ken

Hi Ken,

I would not waste your time messing about with third party EQ software (as I did) and instead download Acourate and undertake full room correction using the jriver convolver having generated your filter in Acourate. It is easy to do and depending on how your room measured, might well be revolutionary for you.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I totally agree. Acourate is a little daunting but Uli is a great dude and will help through any issues. I own both Audiolense, Acourate and Dirac. I haven't used Dirac in a long time. I go back and forth between Acourate and Audiolense.

I wouldn't use a USB mic though. I think it's worth it to get a decent calibrated mic and DAC/ADC. There are many DAC/ADC options which are very inexpensive and pretty high performance. Tascam has good ASIO drivers and many low cost options. You could get a decent calibrated mic for $100. The whole rig could be had for no more than $500. It's important to get a synchronous measurement and that's impossible with a USB mic. If your DAC has a spdif input, you could even use your DAC as the output for the log sweep which is ideal. The Tascam units have spdif out and are fully configurable.

Hi Ken,

I would not waste your time messing about with third party EQ software (as I did) and instead download Acourate and undertake full room correction using the jriver convolver having generated your filter in Acourate. It is easy to do and depending on how your room measured, might well be revolutionary for you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing