Apple Laid an ABSOLUTE EGG with El Capitan. POS.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Oh, no. Just much better than Windows. And that doesn't require anything close to perfect.

Tim

I read this often and yet everytime i use a mac of ANY kind i am left utterly frustrated..... At work we have brand new imacs with the same problem running elcapitan

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
My 4 installs on machines ranging from a 2010 laptop to a 2014 iMac have been basically painless. Noticed some extra wheel spinning on one of them which I'd bet will be gone in an update cycle or two. Am I 100% thriiled? No, but perfection -- on all the thousands of hardware configurations out there dating back 5-6 +yrs ( a century in computer terms) multiplied by the thousands of third-party applications on everyone's machines, each with several versions -- is unattainable, even for Steve Jobs, who by the way, endured gripes on every new software release. The notion that everything he oversaw was perfect out of the box, Apple is so different now, et al. entirely ignores history.

Yes, you can save money by going third party on memory and storage -- this has always been the case too (good to have the option) -- it caters to the more tech adept. Most people don't want to mess with these things and pay a little more. Turns out Apple is a profit-seeking business. Note too that Apple computers have gotten steadily more powerful for the same price and the entry level has come down too.

In most professional environments such as the production world I work in, they always (pre and post Steve)wait for a few updates before going to a new OS -- this is simply recognizing the reality that without being out there on millions of machines and adjusting to user reports, perfection is impossible. And in my experience, the alternative totally sucks.

What btw is dumbed down in the new interface?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
From what I have read the problems with El Capitan relate primarily to programs and hardware from outside the Apple universe, something that has always bedeviled Windows as well. As Apple opens its "universe" to more and more third-parties, the ability to create a trouble free upgrade for its OS becomes more and more problematic, just as with Windows.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
From what I have read the problems with El Capitan relate primarily to programs and hardware from outside the Apple universe, something that has always bedeviled Windows as well. As Apple opens its "universe" to more and more third-parties, the ability to create a trouble free upgrade for its OS becomes more and more problematic, just as with Windows.

FWIW, my only issue with the upgrade was their USB driver which for whatever reason no longer controlled the Playback Designs USB-X box as were other third party vendors similarly involved. Beyond that it did function perfectly however I did have to reinstall Yosemite for the USB driver

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I am almost certain the 2011 Mac Mini, which my wife has and I upgraded to 8 GB, is maxed out at 8. It cannot do 16 GB. As side note I bought the memory for 1/3 Apple was selling for, on Amazon, and it was s 5 minute install.

The newest models of Mac Mini do NOT have user installable memory or hard drives. I had to buy it with 16 GB and a SSD drive PRE installed.

Why??? it is is good for Apple. So they can ream on you on the upgrades. And the bull **** they feed their customers is that is in the name of improved form factor. Kiss my ass.

The OS upgrades and firmware updates allow the 2011 to go up to 16GB. I just installed a single 8GB card and kept the old 1GB in the other slot for a total of 9GB. Maybe that is enough, but another 8GB card will allow a total of 16.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The OS upgrades and firmware updates allow the 2011 to go up to 16GB. I just installed a single 8GB card and kept the old 1GB in the other slot for a total of 9GB. Maybe that is enough, but another 8GB card will allow a total of 16.

That is great to know, thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing