Apple Laid an ABSOLUTE EGG with El Capitan. POS.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Apple really stunk up the place with El Capitan. It is an unmitigated POS. Their WORST upgrade since
i have been a customer.

I waited to post as the issues I am having on my THREE MONTH old Mac Mini with maxed out memory and a SS drive
until I saw these issues seem to be pretty widespread. They are beyond annoying.

-After the computer has been asleep for some time, it DOES NOT recognize by admin password and I must power cylce
the computer to get back in.

-Cannot resize windows, except to minimize or to maximize.

-Skipping during playback with Audrivana and my iFi Nano iDSD DAC.

-Cannot resize certain programs like Audirvana or XLD.

Appple fix this crap, now.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I notice the spinning wheel regularly, now. Bigger, more bloated, and more unnecessary. I have a 2 year old Mac Mini- so hardly a relic.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
When I upgraded from Yosemite I could no longer play my digital files via the Playback Designs USB-X as the new USB driver caused havoc on many systens. I had to go back to Yosemite

I have 3 Macs all running El Capitan and have had zero problems. I like it a lot. Initial problem running Outlook but Microsoft quickly fixed it. But, I don't run any music service from my computers.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
When I upgraded from Yosemite I could no longer play my digital files via the Playback Designs USB-X as the new USB driver caused havoc on many systens. I had to go back to Yosemite

I don' t blame you. We tried to upgrade my wife's new Mac Mini, also with SS drive and plenty of memory exactly how we have done in the past with other OS upgrades and after 4 hours we got
one failed install after another. We finally just reinstalled Yosemite.

Shame on Apple.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I have 3 Macs all running El Capitan and have had zero problems. I like it a lot. Initial problem running Outlook but Microsoft quickly fixed it. But, I don't run any music service from my computers.

Do anything beyond the basics then report back...!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I thought Apple was perfect?:p

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Both my iMacs, one of 2007 vintage, one 2014, actually seem to run faster with El Capitan than Yosemite. I don't use either to play music, though.

In the topic here about upgrading to Windows 10, SW our esteemed host make a comment to the effect that Macs didn't have the upgrade problems that seem to afflict every Windows OS upgrade. I mildly disagreed.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Both my iMacs, one of 2007 vintage, one 2014, actually seem to run faster with El Capitan than Yosemite. I don't use either to play music, though.

In the topic here about upgrading to Windows 10, SW our esteemed host make a comment to the effect that Macs didn't have the upgrade problems that seem to afflict every Windows OS upgrade. I mildly disagreed.
There were more wide spread problems with the El Capitan update than any other previous OS since I have been on mac, going on 5 years now.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
There were more wide spread problems with the El Capitan update than any other previous OS since I have been on mac, going on 5 years now.

Andre, unfortunately it would appear that since the loss of Steve J the basic mantra that he believed in..and that I think delineated his company from the likes of Microsoft, seems to have been
either forgotten or deliberately set aside. That mantra was that no product would be released until it was a completely working and solid platform. Steve J recognized that 'beta' testing product on
the consumer was a very bad idea....it remains to be seen if his successor understood that lesson.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, unfortunately it would appear that since the loss of Steve J the basic mantra that he believed in..and that I think delineated his company from the likes of Microsoft, seems to have been
either forgotten or deliberately set aside. That mantra was that no product would be released until it was a completely working and solid platform. Steve J recognized that 'beta' testing product on
the consumer was a very bad idea....it remains to be seen if his successor understood that lesson.
I believe you are correct.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
I've been running 10.11 since the first beta release on my 2012 mac mini, iTunes, Audirvana, Dirac Live. No problems. I installed on a fresh partition, FWIW. I've upgraded about 12 different macs ranging from a 2008 iMac and two 2009 minis to some of the latest, and haven't had any significant issues. (The only one I recall being problematic was 10.6 to 10.7).

Nevertheless, I agree they seem to have lost their way. This program of dumbing down the interface, removing features from software, the disaster that is now iWork, etc., are all sources of consternation. I don't like how 10.11 and 10.10 look, but I accept that is a matter of (bad) taste, but as far as how the OS is functioning, I haven't encountered any of the problems others report.

One thing to be aware of is that third-party software that drops kernel extensions in /System/Library/Extensions instead of where it has always belonged, /Library/Extensions, will no longer work properly if at all.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Latest iOS on the original iPad Retina also sucks. Four times now after I enter the 4 digit code the screen goes blank, and stays that way. Hours later when I try it again, it works. So far, it has worked okay on the first gen mini Retina.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Latest iOS on the original iPad Retina also sucks. Four times now after I enter the 4 digit code the screen goes blank, and stays that way. Hours later when I try it again, it works. So far, it has worked okay on the first gen mini Retina.

My wife had the same experience on an iPad 3.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I've been running 10.11 since the first beta release on my 2012 mac mini, iTunes, Audirvana, Dirac Live. No problems. I installed on a fresh partition, FWIW. I've upgraded about 12 different macs ranging from a 2008 iMac and two 2009 minis to some of the latest, and haven't had any significant issues. (The only one I recall being problematic was 10.6 to 10.7).

Nevertheless, I agree they seem to have lost their way. This program of dumbing down the interface, removing features from software, the disaster that is now iWork, etc., are all sources of consternation. I don't like how 10.11 and 10.10 look, but I accept that is a matter of (bad) taste, but as far as how the OS is functioning, I haven't encountered any of the problems others report.

One thing to be aware of is that third-party software that drops kernel extensions in /System/Library/Extensions instead of where it has always belonged, /Library/Extensions, will no longer work properly if at all.

Good points and thanks for the heads up on the third party software.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Strange, I never paid attention the the memory thing with my 2011 Mac Mini, always had 2GB which used to seem huge. With each new OS, I guess the memory hog requirements increased. My mini has probably been operating on mainly virtual memory, and got slow and kind of weird after Yosemite. Talk about a Luddite.

With El Capitan, I finally recognized the memory problem and bumped it up to 9GB and suddenly I have an operating, quick computer again. I suppose I will get another 8GB memory card to get the full 16GB.

iMovie crapped out and I had to buy the upgrade to edit a vacation video. Also, my old Photoshop says I have to go back and install legacy Java 6 to get it to work again, if it will work at all.

Planned obsolescence and dropping of support seems to be the name of the game, they are just temporary appliances all.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Strange, I never paid attention the the memory thing with my 2011 Mac Mini, always had 2GB which used to seem huge. With each new OS, I guess the memory hog requirements increased. My mini has probably been operating on mainly virtual memory, and got slow and kind of weird after Yosemite. Talk about a Luddite.

With El Capitan, I finally recognized the memory problem and bumped it up to 9GB and suddenly I have an operating, quick computer again. I suppose I will get another 8GB memory card to get the full 16GB.

iMovie crapped out and I had to buy the upgrade to edit a vacation video. Also, my old Photoshop says I have to go back and install legacy Java 6 to get it to work again, if it will work at all.

Planned obsolescence and dropping of support seems to be the name of the game, they are just temporary appliances all.

I am almost certain the 2011 Mac Mini, which my wife has and I upgraded to 8 GB, is maxed out at 8. It cannot do 16 GB. As side note I bought the memory for 1/3 Apple was selling for, on Amazon, and it was s 5 minute install.

The newest models of Mac Mini do NOT have user installable memory or hard drives. I had to buy it with 16 GB and a SSD drive PRE installed.

Why??? it is is good for Apple. So they can ream on you on the upgrades. And the bull **** they feed their customers is that is in the name of improved form factor. Kiss my ass.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing