Good cartridges for less than $100???

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I see folks talk about expensive cartridges but are there good buys in under $100? I have 30+ year old Technics linear tracking turntable that I was thinking of lighting up and see if it works. If it does, what would be a good cartridge to put on it? The one that is there is a random one I bought for $30 back then. My son had the machine for a few years so not sure what state it is in now.

The Wiki says it accepts "P-mount/T4P." Not sure what the heck that is but I thought I mention it :).

Appreciate any advice.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Wouldn't it be fun if your linear-tracking Technics is the one I started with as a teenager? Do you mind posting a picture? Is it the one with the plastic flip-top, the SL-10? With the characteristic red LED showing the arm's position?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Amir,

Is $100 too much? The Ortofon 2M Red is shockingly good, and $100...
I agree with ack, anything below will sound horrible.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wouldn't it be fun if your linear-tracking Technics is the one I started with as a teenager? Do you mind posting a picture? Is it the one with the plastic flip-top, the SL-10? With the characteristic red LED showing the arm's position?
It may be. I am not home but will post the picture in a couple of days.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

$100 would be fine. Would this be compatible with my turntable and make it sound decent???

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Amir,

Second that whole hartedly. Just a shame its not an option for your Technics...

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Ortofon is not a P-mount; Ortofon used to make one, OMP10, but it's been discontinued. I think the Needledoctor choices I linked to are your options.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Oh crap, missed that part about the P-mount...
Out of the ones listed in Needledoctor, I'd skip the Audio Technicas, and pick the best Grado you can afford, but I'm not really familiar with these models...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys. When I get home I will verify what type of mount it has and go from there. Much appreciated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing