a Norwegian tale of the road to greater sound - by kaap

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Lazy lazy lazy :(

Days fly by, soon autum and then winter. jeez.. Soon xmas :/

Got this awesome doormat for my audioroom this summer for my bithday :)

View attachment 56654

Anywho.... just gonna post a resent photo form the "audio barn".. It's a bit messy, but I'm in the process of rebuilding/upgrading my speakers.
Meaning, wider baffle, new xover chassis, with new xover parts and new connectors.

(The blue ribbon is just a loading strap, holding some wooden boards, that the large new side panels rests against.... In other words.. work in progress :p )

View attachment 56655

Regards Kai

Is that a Manger wide bander? How do you like that?

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Is that a Manger wide bander? How do you like that?
Yes. Had Manger for about 15years, not the best on paper, but I have still not heard anything I want to trade out Manger with.

In the shortest of words; They play music, not hifi.

Regards Kai

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes. Had Manger for about 15years, not the best on paper, but I have still not heard anything I want to trade out Manger with.

In the shortest of words; They play music, not hifi.

Regards Kai

I heard from a friend that they were exceptional. Did you ever try horn loading it per chance?

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
I heard from a friend that they were exceptional. Did you ever try horn loading it per chance?
Nope, never, sorry, and never heard about anyone who has put a Manger "in a horn"..
Anyway, I'm not a big horn fan.

Regards Kai

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Great job and taste. Very nice space and system . Thank you for sharing

Reactions: kaap

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I've heard Manger based systems twice, and throughly enjoyed both sessions. Like Tannoy, they make music and not hifi. Congratulations on a well thought out and executed system and room.

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
IMG_6518.jpg

First off, sorry for being inactive for quite some time.

Second, "the hifi world" has changed over the years, and so have my passion for hifi. I started out at the age of 13, I'm now 40 (41 in a few days), where hifi was afforable for the avarage guy. Now "HighEnd" has gone, IMO, bananas. Cudos to anyone how has made a nice living, and has the opportunity to go-all-in, getting the best of the best, but to me this is far form reach. I've put "a pair of nordost ODIN2 speaker cable set worth" into my system, spread over 25 years..... Buying and selling to make the best deals, getting what I want.

Third, now, I "there". I have built the the room I allways wanted, by myself, with my dream system. Today my system plays everyting well.. Even records thats sounded absolute horrible years ago.. now they play fine.. not reference of course, but still enjoyable. And that, to me, is key. I dont wanna sit and listen strictly to reference recordings. I enjoy going out to my "barn", with a beer, and just relax with whatever music I feel like that day.

As for keeping ones mind active.. one gotta have a hobby *.. So I gotten a new one. Not related to hifi/music.. not even one bit.. But its fun.

* a wise friend one day said; "if the boy within a man, goes away, the man is lost".... and my inner boy is childish as ever :p

Kind reagards
Kai

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
View attachment 80044

Second, "the hifi world" has changed over the years, and so have my passion for hifi. I started out at the age of 13, I'm now 40 (41 in a few days), where hifi was afforable for the avarage guy. Now "HighEnd" has gone, IMO, bananas. Cudos to anyone how has made a nice living, and has the opportunity to go-all-in, getting the best of the best, but to me this is far form reach. I've put "a pair of nordost ODIN2 speaker cable set worth" into my system, spread over 25 years..... Buying and selling to make the best deals, getting what I want.

Third, now, I "there". I have built the the room I allways wanted, by myself, with my dream system. Today my system plays everyting well.. Even records thats sounded absolute horrible years ago.. now they play fine.. not reference of course, but still enjoyable. And that, to me, is key. I dont wanna sit and listen strictly to reference recordings. I enjoy going out to my "barn", with a beer, and just relax with whatever music I feel like that day.

As for keeping ones mind active.. one gotta have a hobby *.. So I gotten a new one. Not related to hifi/music.. not even one bit.. But its fun.

* a wise friend one day said; "if the boy within a man, goes away, the man is lost".... and my inner boy is childish as ever :p

Kind reagards
Kai
What a stunning system and room.

Reactions: Andrew S. and kaap

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations on this achievement, Kai! The room looks absolutely beautiful!

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
What a stunning system and room.
Thank you sir :)

Congratulations on this achievement, Kai! The room looks absolutely beautiful!
Thank you so much :)

This room is worthy of the frase "blood, sweat and tears"... This room was build to house both the stereo, and a photostudio, set to each end of the room. Early on the build, I took on a wedding photoshoot for a couple of friends of mine, and the wedding date was set... So I had a deadline to finish.. Allways good to have a deadline to keep up the pace, but it dam near killed me. For a periode of 1/2 year++...after dayjob and dinner, I was in the room, building, until nightfall in the weekdays, and all day in the weekends. I got 95% done to the wedding, only missing the flooring, but I still cringe when thinking back on the months of work, by my self.

Feedback for you guys, and visitors how come to have a listen, all help to "numb the memories for pain" :)

...and for the last year of covid, this has also been my home office.. so I have used the room quite a lot :p

Regards Kai

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Very much enjoyed reading through this journal of your HiFi journey Kai...particularly as most of the design concept and implementation have been of your own, Blood , Sweat and Tears indeed.

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Very much enjoyed reading through this journal of your HiFi journey Kai...particularly as most of the design concept and implementation have been of your own, Blood , Sweat and Tears indeed.
thx! but since english is my secound language, doing a complete writeup in english is a big job... I have done a full "journal" on a "whatsbestforum-in-my-contry-forum", with a LOT more pictures and info along the way... I can put in a link to the thread.. If linking to another forum is illigal, just say so, and I remove it.

[/URL]

I linked it thru google translate.. and did a quick look.. The translation aint half bad.. But I did not quality check the hole ting... (disclaimer :p )
It's 10+ pages, with a lot of text and pictures... but if anyone have the time to read thru it, post feedback here, that would be fun :)

regards Kai

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
I just caught up reading this thread.

What an amazing fellow you are to have built all that yourself, and including speakers and some electronics: I take it they are Open Baffle?

Congratulations on one of the most interesting systems and write ups I have come across. Definitely one off the beaten path!

I'd love it if you would link your other forum thread, if that is allowed.

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
I just caught up reading this thread.

What an amazing fellow you are to have built all that yourself, and including speakers and some electronics: I take it they are Open Baffle?

Congratulations on one of the most interesting systems and write ups I have come across. Definitely one off the beaten path!

I'd love it if you would link your other forum thread, if that is allowed.

Very kind words, thank you.

They are open baffle yes.

The link is in the middle of my post from yesterday, isnt visable? Here it is again, if not...

https://translate.google.com/transl...ds/kaap-konverterer-stall-til-lytterom.78955/

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
View attachment 80044

Kind reagards
Kai
Kai,
This is beautiful! Congratulations!

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Kai,
This is beautiful! Congratulations!
Thanks a lot :)

Ahhh there we go - I didn't have success the first time around, but cut and paste into the address bar and was successful.

I shall very much enjoy reading in depth. Thank you for sharing.
No prob... happy reading :p

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
View attachment 80044

Kind reagards
Kai
Very impressive and peaceful looking room. Enjoy the tunes and keep safe! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing