Visit to Avantgarde Acoustic Factory

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They have redone both duos and trios.

Also I assume your trio experience since it was long ago might not have had bass horns?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think focusing on too much cabinet construction is a false positive for people who don't veer to boxes because it leads to cabinet coloring and higher prices. I personally don't prefer any horn that uses a cabinet woofer.

I know you feel that way. It was for you, actually, that I wrote "the counter-argument, in fairness, being that, in theory, horn aficionados might not want a horn system constructed with a traditional, heavy cabinet design."

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
Well luckily I grew out of Slayer, except for watching on Youtube where their drummer stood in to play the drums for Zep's No Quarter in "The Groove Remains the Same", an annual tribute to Bonzo.

Which drivers did you hear the WE 16A with?
If I am not mistaken, they were GIP driver.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If I am not mistaken, they were GIP driver.

The WE 16A are not meant for everything and there are obvious compromises especially below 80 Hz. The magic of that speaker is it make one stop bothering about such things and pulls them out of the world of hifi. For full range and for listening to anything I will go with trios with bass horns

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The WE 16A are not meant for everything and there are obvious compromises especially below 80 Hz. The magic of that speaker is it make one stop bothering about such things and pulls them out of the world of hifi. For full range and for listening to anything I will go with trios with bass horns

Correct. 16A in a nutshell. Hate to agree with the Bonzo so much, but this is exactly right in my book.

Initially, Kedar didn't seem to like Trios much when first exposed. Later he changed his mind. I was insistent they were great. Perhaps that helped!:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Correct. 16A in a nutshell. Hate to agree with the Bonzo so much, but this is exactly right in my book.

Initially, Kedar didn't seem to like Trios much when first exposed. Later he changed his mind. I was insistent they were great. Perhaps that helped!:)
Previously I had heard the older ones without bass horns. I don't make my mind up much on hifi shows. So only after listening to the newer models with bass horns did I change my mind

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
After over 5 happy years with Duo Omega the new Mezzo XD have just arrived .
Here are some pics taken during the delivery by Eter Audio , the local AG dealer :

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 197

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Looks great, Mariusz!

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Stunning Mariusz, congratulations on colour choice too.
Even the bass bins look cool on their own.
Now take your time to familiarise yourself with their sound differences from the Omega Duos and report back please.
Enquiring minds want to know.
Blue58

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Thank you both, bonzo and blue58.
I will report accordingly.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Congrats! I also like the grey horns.

A friend of mine recently got some older AG Unos I believe... the bass cabinets are really bad, like they subcontracted them out to Bose. The new Duo Mezzo bass cabinets are SO MUCH better... the horn flare is for looks, but it works... they look nice too.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is very exciting! Congratulations!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
A most tasteful colour choice marslo:cool: these may well prove to be the optimal Size/Efficacy/WAF model, before heading off to Trios and base horns.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Thank you guys, to be honest ,the colour selection was my wife's commitment to the deal:)

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Thank you guys, to be honest ,the colour selection was my wife's commitment to the deal:)

Hello Mariusz,
Hope you're well.

AG linked an article to My-Hiend re. XDs in Asia. Interestingly Jerome Andre is now with AG in Asia. I feel part of the gang too.

How are the new settings working out for you? Pictures, comments and insights please. i.e.. Just how much better are they?

http://my-hiend.com/wp/??avantgarde??????jerome-andre-????xd????/

Sorry I can't translate :(

Blue58

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Hi Blue58,

Well, Jerome Andre with AG in Asia, interesting, thank you for the news.

I am in touch with Bruno Ginard from Vermeer Audio, the idea of upgrading La Fontaine is still to be considered.

Last few days I played with La Fontaine because my Big 7 have been upgraded by Lukasz ( new clock in amanero board ), I also ordered EML 45 Anniversary, just received today the DAC, will listen tonight.

As far as settings of XD are concerned , I downloaded the software from AG website and spent a few hours to check how it works.
In the beginning I was disapointed with the default AG settings , also those by Eter Audio were not perfect to my ears.
Finally , I modified the latter and the speakers started to sing . When they do , it's something, bass is much better controlled, has authority and punch. The goal is to integrate it with the room and midrange . When you achieve that, they are much better than Omega imho.
Long story short, I am very pleased but the journey to the nirvana only begun.
I am in touch also with the guy from AG in Germany , he is of polish origin and very helpful to me.

Here are my best settings up to day :

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing