Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Well they might if Boris played something half decent. My ears bled.

Thanks for sharing, impressive indeed.
Not sure how anyone can tell from 30 sec of drums and 2 bars of metal, on YouTube, how a speaker is voiced, but one thing is for sure, they don’t sound like a small 2-way…

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
I owned the S1's - they were very good speakers playing classical and jazz. My experience was they needed some volume to come alive - say around 75-80 db. Perhaps the smaller cabinet reinforcement contributed to this - it was not something that afflicts the S3 and S5.

I know Boris the Australian importer quite well - he is renown for his taste in music (crash bang metal/rock played loud, louder and louder still) - so it was a tongue in cheek comment & I poking abit of fun. Just being silly. He is in fact a very good dealer to deal with and for anyone in Australian thinking of buying a pair do so with no hesitation. He also carries the YG line eg the Carmels which also are a very very good speaker. Different rather than better or worse than the Magico S1's.

I like Magico very much. Just wish I could afford, and had the room for, some S5's ha ha. Or better still Q1s.

To the OP - thanks for posting, sorry for OT.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Well they might if Boris played something half decent. My ears bled.

i like his videos but couldnt agree more. i guess i understand to play different types of music but if he played the same recording (or maybe 2-3 different ones) it would be easier to understand the system differences. but i enjoy what he does. i would buy from him if he wasn't oceans away from me!

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
I owned the S1's - they were very good speakers playing classical and jazz. My experience was they needed some volume to come alive - say around 75-80 db. Perhaps the smaller cabinet reinforcement contributed to this - it was not something that afflicts the S3 and S5.

I know Boris the Australian importer quite well - he is renown for his taste in music (crash bang metal/rock played loud, louder and louder still) - so it was a tongue in cheek comment & I poking abit of fun. Just being silly. He is in fact a very good dealer to deal with and for anyone in Australian thinking of buying a pair do so with no hesitation. He also carries the YG line eg the Carmels which also are a very very good speaker. Different rather than better or worse than the Magico S1's.

I like Magico very much. Just wish I could afford, and had the room for, some S5's ha ha. Or better still Q1s.

To the OP - thanks for posting, sorry for OT.

would be interested to hear carmel 2s and magico s1 mkII's side by side.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing