SAT carbon fibre tone arm from Sweden

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I heard the original SAT is going something like $40,000 now.

One bad thing about SAT is its cable sleeve. The rfi shielding could be better and it should be glued to the arm cable inside, not just heat bonded.

Kind regards,
Tang

Already? Dang. I'm glad I already have one!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hahahaha Yes they are "affordable" compared :D

Do you think your contact there in HK can source an S wand Virtu? That would be worth the short flight over Hehehe

Shhh.....Your asking here will drive up the price of the Virtu further Jack. ;)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

One bad thing about SAT is its cable sleeve. The rfi shielding could be better and it should be glued to the arm cable inside, not just heat bonded.

Kind regards,
Tang

Really Tang. No piece of hifi appreciates ;)

Especially now that new models make old model's obsolete ;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Really Tang. No piece of hifi appreciates ;)

Especially now that new models make old model's obsolete ;)

I wish Marc best with his new models. :)

Another 25% increase...

Tang

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel

Kind regards,
Tang

from what i understand, their will be 2 models with 9" and 12" on each of them. total 4 arm in line.
the original SAT will be replace by another model and it will retail around 25K$ for the 9" (28-30K for the 12").
the 40K$ will be a new and somewhat improve! model on the Original and the New one that replace it after a 70 unit run.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hello Byrd,
Have you considered the option of upgrading your AF3 to AF1 instead of buying more tonearms?

I have two good friends who are using Simplicity2, one on AF1 and one on AF3.
The setup skill for Thales of the latter may be the best in Hong Kong, surpassing the staff of the Thales dealer.
However the end result of AF1+S2 is so much better in every aspects even when paired with a lesser cartridge.

Hey CK.
i was thinking about it for a while and between us, its a dream of mine to get the AF1 someday.
the problem is always -$$$... the AF1 cost so much more then the AF3, that its just CRAZY around my area. (not to mentioned the rack space i will need for the AF1 logistics).
so, the AF3 will do for now with a lot of toying around, with arms, cartridges etc. i evan ordered a Torqueo T34 for a second TT to play with... :)
in the meanwhile i love what i've got. maybe someday i will have my dream come true. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Raul is the guy who contends I like my Straingauge because of euphonics generated by not following RIAA curve.
He’s never dropped that one.
I tend to disagree w him.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Raul is the guy who contends I like my Straingauge because of euphonics generated by not following RIAA curve.
He’s never dropped that one.
I tend to disagree w him.

I remember him having a public slanging match on audiogon with Peter L regarding that exact topic.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hahahaha Yes they are "affordable" compared :D
Do you think your contact there in HK can source an S wand Virtu? That would be worth the short flight over Hehehe

Hello Jack,

It seems that the S wand Virtu has already been replaced by the newer straight wand version.
You may directly contact Chris Leung of Audioexotics in Hong Kong for verification.

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
From what I have been told, the price of $28K assured that it sold out immediately upon its release here in the US.:D

Actually he's sold 70 of them throughout the world. Everyone loves it. Now he's on to the second generation.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am curious to learn if the new 12" version of the arm will be a variant of the original 9" design or if it will be based on the more recent and less expensive 9" arm design.

Hello Peter,

I was told the new 9” and 12” are the same just different in length. To my understanding, which could be wrong, the design objectives of these new model are to improve manufacturing efficiency and to improve the safety during transport since the arm bearing is quite fragile. Is the new 9” better than the original one? I don’t know. Do I really want to know? Not really. I think the original arm is already at the top interm of resolution and detail rethrieval. Anything better than this will be listening to a mic feed. Tbh I was thinking of getting another one for my new AS...until I was informed of the new price and saw a picture of the new arm wand that didn’t look as stellar as the hand weaven original ones I own.

9” better than 12”? Heck..I have a few 9”s a few 12” and a few 14” and I enjoy all of them. We are only arguing plus and minus here.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

TLi

May 27, 2016
L1001702.JPG

Agree with Tango.

I certainly have not used as many tonearms as many members in this forum, but the original 9" SAT is by far the best in resolution and tracking. It is very demanding to setup though. Any small deviation from the optimal setting can be heard.

I go further to modify the arm with a custom-made titanium headshell and a pure tungsten counterweight. It adds more weight and punch to the bass and more extended treble. Dynamic is enhanced as well. In a way, it just shows SAT has the least colouration to the sound than other tonearms that I used. I have used for some time SME V and Phantom Elite 9".

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
View attachment 41512

Agree with Tango.

I certainly have not used as many tonearms as many members in this forum, but the original 9" SAT is by far the best in resolution and tracking. It is very demanding to setup though. Any small deviation from the optimal setting can be heard.

I go further to modify the arm with a custom-made titanium headshell and a pure tungsten counterweight. It adds more weight and punch to the bass and more extended treble. Dynamic is enhanced as well. In a way, it just shows SAT has the least colouration to the sound than other tonearms that I used. I have used for some time SME V and Phantom Elite 9".

What is the record weight you have on there?

Kind regards,
Tang

TLi

May 27, 2016
It is record clamp designed by me and was produced by a local goldsmith workshop using CNC machine. The main frame is made in titanium and different top weights can be added on. Different materials give different sound, very useful and interesting. So far I have made top weight in pure tungsten, tungsten carbide, titanium alloy and ebony.

Here is my report of the clamp in a Chinese forum, the pictures speak for themselves even if you can‘t read Chinese.

http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=107201

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
Great, I'm anxious to see the older version on the used market for a mere fraction of the original asking price.;)

That's not likely to happen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing