Idlers vs Direct Drive vs Belt Drive

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
GPA Monaco here, most accurate TT available ,I would never use anything else.
Keith.

I had a friends Monaco with Triplaner arm. Wonderful table with an amazingly low noise floor.

I preferred my Exclusive P3 table but could happily live with the Monaco.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I had a friends Monaco with Triplaner arm. Wonderful table with an amazingly low noise floor.

I preferred my Exclusive P3 table but could happily live with the Monaco.

Over the years Pioneer introduced a number of very fine products under their Exclusive brand.
david

Last edited:

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
...DD tables have always claimed superior measurements but reality is that it hasn't always translated in the sound quality dept. You can't ignore that the servo is constantly tweaking the speed and it definitely has a direct effect on the sound but I haven't seen any measurements or graphs showing its side effect on the continuity or rotation and overall sound...

david

Exactly.

The common scheme for feedback in a direct drive turntable is frequency based. If the frequency changes even a small amount, it is immediately corrected. Depending on the build, the rotational speed may be very accurate where the numbers are concerned, so a perfect 33.33333333 within 100 nanoseconds is certainly possible. The elephant in the room is that such a turntable makes many, many mistakes in a single revolution when you consider the corrections as being deviations from consistency. Imagine stylus drag on cocaine, and you have the picture. Although that direct drive unit may sound great to someone who doesn't have a better turntable available for direct comparison, dynamics are affected in a negative way, especially micro-dynamics. Moreover, a mask is constantly being laid over subtleties and nuances that are evident with better source equipment. So, detail and musical cohesion is lost to some degree, although it may be a very small degree. We are talking about the good stuff here, not junk, so that small degree matters.

An analog version of digital jitter can't be a good thing.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
An analog version of digital jitter can't be a good thing.

+1

What's ironic is that idlers compared to DD tables have very poor numbers yet sonically when properly set up even the half century old Garrards sound better than at least %80 of the tts I heard and owned. The top models still reign supreme.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That's interesting. How does one know if the speed of an old or poorly pressed LP causes a speed issue, and how is the speed measured after adjustment for accuracy? Is there a digital readout of some kind like on the Kronos or the old Japanese DD tables?

I'm sorry, perhaps I am turning this into a discussion of the Monaco turntable at the expense of others. If so, we could take this up in a thread devoted to that particular table. Fellow member, Spiritofmusic, is also quite interested in the Monaco. I'll search the forum for more information.

I bet he's talking about a pitch control, there aren't any readouts. Once in a while the tape deck was running a little slow or a little fast while recording, pitch control is to compensate. Quite a few tables have it, sometimes I speed up rock records for effect.

david

Last edited:

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
The constancy and accuracy of a turntable’s speed rotation may not be the most important facet of its performance quality, but one would think it should be a sine qua non.
As Peter Moncrief accurately analised a decade ago…..
Why is speed so important? As you know, the primary job of any record player, including
turntable, arm, and cartridge, is to accurately reproduce the waveform of the music as it was
originally recorded onto a vinyl record.
The cartridge does not read the entire music waveform from the record. It can't.
Why not? Because the vinyl record contains only half of the music waveform.
Where then does the other half of the music waveform come from? It comes from the turntable.
That's right. The turntable is fully responsible for actively supplying half of the music waveform,
and the other half comes from the cartridge.
This puts turntables in a whole new light. If a turntable's job is to actively supply half of your
music's waveform, then it had better be doing its job right, otherwise your music will obviously and
dramatically suffer -- to an extent you wouldn't have imagined when you thought that music's entire
waveform came from the cartridge.
In a record player, the vertical amplitude axis of the music waveform comes entirely from the
cartridge. But the horizontal time axis of this music waveform comes entirely from the turntable.
The key point here is that an error in the time axis would produce a distorted error in the correct
shape of the music waveform, We give a great deal of attention
to making sure that cartridges are accurate reproducers, so that they correctly read the side to side
swings of the record groove that furnish the amplitude information about the music waveform, and
thereby do not distort the music waveform themselves. But that's literally only half the story. We
should also devote equal attention to making sure that the turntable accurately furnishes the time
axis half of the music waveform. If we don't, then the final resulting music waveform will be
distorted, as surely as if the cartridge were contributing unwanted distortion by inaccurately reading
the amplitude axis half in its side to side swings.
Those who claim to prefer turntables which sound “right” but measure poorly can hardly lay claim to legitimacy over those who prefer turntables which sound “right” and measure well…?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
+1

What's ironic is that idlers compared to DD tables have very poor numbers yet sonically when properly set up even the half century old Garrards sound better than at least %80 of the tts I heard and owned. The top models still reign supreme.

david

I was waiting for someone with serious nous to comment on the DD kudos to Mosin and your good self for giving us some substantiated answers to the conundrum --

I totally agree with the comments -having heard the GP Monaco on at least two occasions --while it is fine product--I felt I could sense the "cogging" on the Piano piece played --plus the Soundstage was lacking over what I was used to

However those with a DD penchant I'd say definitely audition --it is a serious step up from the Brinkmann Bardo.

I preferred my Shindo 301 just had more "there" to the involvement .

BruceD

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am far from a turntable cognoscenti ... I have a modified Technics SP-10 MK3 and it sounds very good and on really good pressing of piano very close to the speed stability digital can have on piano. I do however fail to hear the "cogging" many here are talking about... I can understand someone preferring the sound of something but I have a very hard time understanding this statement
The elephant in the room is that such a turntable makes many, many mistakes in a single revolution when you consider the corrections as being deviations from consistency
.. but it seems some do... I have not heard this dragging from the better DD out there ... I would think something like the Wave Kinetics don't do it and will bet that my lowly Technics doesn't either
I will retreat but hyperbole control should be applied here IMO.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hi

I am far from a turntable cognoscenti ... I have a modified Technics SP-10 MK3 and it sounds very good and on really good pressing of piano very close to the speed stability digital can have on piano. I do however fail to hear the "cogging" many here are talking about... I can understand someone preferring the sound of something but I have a very hard time understanding this statement .. but it seems some do... I have not heard this dragging from the better DD out there ... I would think something like the Wave Kinetics don't do it and will bet that my lowly Technics doesn't either

Yes I have not heard "cogging" from the SP10 or Wave Kinetics--I have friends with both Tables-(the 10 III has the excellent Krebs Mods as well) so I will qualify my previous statement the cogging was apparent on the GP Monaco

I'd go so far to say the SP10III is indeed classic and on different level to a Monaco ( especially with Richard's Mods!)--I'd have the Technics in a heartbeat --be proud of your choice there.

Bruce D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Frantz, I think Mosin is explaining his technical view of the implication of a servo correction system. If a servo is correcting deviations from its determination of perfect speed stability, Mosin is asserting that those corrections imply the occurrence of "mistakes" (i.e., deviations) which needed correcting. (Please correct me, Mosin, if I misunderstand you.)

I am not seeing an introspection or hyperbole control issue here.

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
The idea that DD turntables are continuously correcting their speed and thus never actually maintaining it is a myth that has been used for decades by proponents for, and adherents to other drive systems.
Most of the good Japanese vintage DD decks are quartz-locked. Now for those who might not regard the term 'locked' with any great significance here is a quote from the Japanese Victor Company:-
The oscillating frequency of an oscillator circuit using crystal quartz is accurate and stable, as suggested by the fact that quartz is used in clocks and watches. The quartz-locked turntable utilises this accurate oscillating frequency to control the speed of the turntable. In both accuracy and stability, quartz-locked speed control is far superior to the conventional servo systems.
In other words, the quartz-locked motor is turning at precisely the correct speed at all times. The servo control is only activated under increased load or voltage drop and with a sophisticated positive and negative servo-control as invented by Victor, it is inaudible and undetectable yet those who claim to be able to hear this servo-control in action seem unable to provide any scientific evidence of its measurable existence.
P1060425.JPG
Here is a Frequency Chart printout using the Feikert Speed App which shows the analogue response (in real time) of the sine wave produced of the 3150Hz Test Tone on my Victor TT-101. If someone can point out the 'evidence' of the servo-control in action on this sine wave we may have a dialogue.
And most modern belt-drive decks with motor controllers are using (often sophisticated) servo-controls to correct their speeds in a less direct and less effective manner than any DD, so if you think you can hear the servo action of a direct drive but are oblivious to that of the Air Force 1...you must have selective hearing abilities.
Harry Weisfeld of VPI has been manufacturing largely belt-drive turntables for over 40 years but is not as inflexible as some....
I have an HR-X and a Direct Drive next to each other with the same arm and cartridge. They sound very, very close with the speed stability of the DD giving it a hairs more breadth, depth, and quietness.
Small differences but that is what the high end is all about.
I have a Kenwood L-07D, a JVC-TT101 (best of all of them), MS DDX-1000, an SP10 Mk2 etc, all are wonderful but need someone who can maintain them, the companies can't do it!!

Reactions: assessor43

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The idea that DD turntables are continuously correcting their speed and thus never actually maintaining it is a myth that has been used for decades by proponents for, and adherents to other drive systems.
Most of the good Japanese vintage DD decks are quartz-locked. Now for those who might not regard the term 'locked' with any great significance here is a quote from the Japanese Victor Company:-

In other words, the quartz-locked motor is turning at precisely the correct speed at all times. The servo control is only activated under increased load or voltage drop and with a sophisticated positive and negative servo-control as invented by Victor, it is inaudible and undetectable yet those who claim to be able to hear this servo-control in action seem unable to provide any scientific evidence of its measurable existence.
View attachment 23110
Here is a Frequency Chart printout using the Feikert Speed App which shows the analogue response (in real time) of the sine wave produced of the 3150Hz Test Tone on my Victor TT-101. If someone can point out the 'evidence' of the servo-control in action on this sine wave we may have a dialogue.
And most modern belt-drive decks with motor controllers are using (often sophisticated) servo-controls to correct their speeds in a less direct and less effective manner than any DD, so if you think you can hear the servo action of a direct drive but are oblivious to that of the Air Force 1...you must have selective hearing abilities.
Harry Weisfeld of VPI has been manufacturing largely belt-drive turntables for over 40 years but is not as inflexible as some....

Thank you so very much for this post... I was about to write something and it involved physics, moment of inertia and feedback devices, etc.. yours is more to the point .. Thank you!

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Thank you so very much for this post... I was about to write something and it involved physics, moment of inertia and feedback devices, etc.. yours is more to the point .. Thank you!

You're very welcome Frantz. I don't mind those who appreciate their own choices in equipment but I try not to 'bash' those choices about which I have my doubts...
I have both a belt-drive Raven AC-2 and several DD Victors and can happily listen to all. Implementation is more important I suspect, than actual 'religion'?

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Many belt-drive turntables with multiple speeds have mechanical devices or rely on manual effort to move the belt between different-sized pulleys on the motor shaft. Due to difficulties in designing multiple-speed synchronous motors whose speed can be controlled electronically, such turntables frequently have DC servomotors. The disadvantage of DC servomotors is that they rotate in steps rather than continuously – the resulting "cogging" can add noise during playback. Helical armature motors can be used to overcome this. Problems with belt instability and deterioration in the past have largely been solved by use of modern elastic polymers.

Since the 1970s, DC motors have declined in popularity;[1] high end audiophile turntable designs use the synchronous motor, which are smoother running and lower noise. Due to the existence of instabilities of mains electricity, manufacturers might try to ensure pitch stability by generating its own sinusoidal waveform to power their AC motor. Other methods at achieving stability include using optical sensors on the platter which feed back to the electronics.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

(...)

We will never see vestiges of a decent servo control in a picture of an oscilloscope showing a 3150 Hz tone - IMHO this picture does not add nothing to the debate.

As always, what mainly counts is the implementation. A servo corrects errors - we must accept it. The variation of load in a turntable is also created by LP modulations and it can not be anticipated by any means. However probably it can corrected in a way it does not affect sound quality. It seems some DD turntables manage to do it and it seems that we must rely on our hears (or others ... :)) to decide which.

All turntables have compromises and their sound quality needs to be analyzed and debated case by case. IMHO generalizations will always show exceptions.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi

I am far from a turntable cognoscenti ... I have a modified Technics SP-10 MK3 (...)

Can I ask what modifications did you carry in your SP10 MK3?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Scientific evidence is defined by the purpose of servo controller and how it works. Of course not all designs are equal and the intrusion one hears or not is relative to other factors but its there.

You can't have a dc motor without a controller which is basically a servo and its audible with belt drives too. In regards to the AF-1 the controller is extremely well masked but its still there, hence some of Steve's comments from his visit. Granted its easier to detect when you have other players with AC motors around and its not a cogging but more like an emotional barrier between the music and the listener, less "Natural" compared to the others there. No company that I know of is making high quality AC Synchronous motors today, servo is something that we may all have to accept and live with...

david

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you for providing that link, Keith. Have you ever measured the speed of your Monaco with a Sutherland TimeLine strobe device?

I see the speed accuracy is quoted in the Grand Prix Audio paper as within 0.002%. That is superb. Unfortunately, HiFi News has not independently tested this table. They have tested some others, including these two belt drive tables, the SME 30/12 and TechDas AF2. They also include Wow and Flutter and rumble through bearing measurements. I think these two tables are the best measuring tables that this publication has ever tested. Here they are:

SME 30-12 / AF2
Speed: 0.003% / 0.005%
Wow: 0.01% / 0.01%
Flutter: 0.02% / 0.02%
Rumble: -76.9dB / -74dB

Furthermore, according to the GPA paper, the Monaco has an adjustable speed increment of .2%. The SME has an adjustable speed increment of .01%. This level of adjustability represents a difference of 0.1Hz. The SME has considerably finer speed adjustability.

Measurements are great, but in the end, I wonder if these tiny differences in speed accuracy are even audible? I have seen if I could hear that 0.1Hz change of pitch, and I can not. Others may be able to.

More important than the slight differences in specifications of well measuring turntables is how they actually sound. For this, I appreciate David's brief summaries in his OP. I have not had the pleasure or experience of directly comparing the sounds of different drive type tables in my own system. Nor have I done any experiments to determine how one turntable using the same arm, cartridge and cable, in the same system sounds different from another table, except once. I did compare the SME Model 10 to the Model 30/12 under controlled conditions. It was most educational. An audio buddy has a refurbished Technics SP10 Mk3 with SME V12 arm and AirTight Supreme cartridge, so I am hoping to someday be able to directly compare that table to my 30/12. It would be very interesting.

David, thank you for starting this thread. I hope it develops into a good discussion describing the advantages, disadvantages, and sonic differences between various drive types.

IMHO - The only person who would be bothered by a 0.1hz change of absolute pitch would be the *very* few that are born with perfect pitch. Everyone else would not be able to tell and especially those who are not musicians. I think the absolute speed accuracy metric is thus somewhat moot - don't Rega purportedly "tune" their speed slightly fast - has not hurt their business!

Wow and flutter - now that is a metric that would be noticeable by a lot of people and therefore more critical IMHO. However I contest more noticeable by musicians.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
IMHO - The only person who would be bothered by a 0.1hz change of absolute pitch would be the *very* few that are born with perfect pitch. Everyone else would not be able to tell and especially those who are not musicians. I think the absolute speed accuracy metric is thus somewhat moot - don't Rega purportedly "tune" their speed slightly fast - has not hurt their business!

Wow and flutter - now that is a metric that would be noticeable by a lot of people and therefore more critical IMHO. However I contest more noticeable by musicians.

Hi End by definition is a tiny percentage of listeners to begin with and then we are talking about small percentage of products in that already minuscule market. Leaving aside how the numbers are measured and they really mean, I doubt that any of us are susceptible to an overall change change of 0.1 hz and even a bigger no. but to how and how often that adjustment is made. Its like feedback in electronics, you get some great measurements but it doesn't mean that you can't hear the effects of feedback.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing