es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thoroughly enjoyable evening at the Alexx release party in Santa Monica- John Quick from DCS was manning the rig and the Alexx's were driven by a suite of D'agostino products and of course the big DCS stack. There was a TechDAS in the house as well, but wasn't spinning.

The Alexx's were in a gorgeous red that isn't very common (penang red or something?) - really suited the larger size speaker well without Rosso Red type garishness or maroon meekishness. The ports were setup to the rear for this (treated) room. I had the sweet spot for 20-25 minutes and thought they sound like larger Alexias, but with more presence. I'm not sure if that is related to the new mid range drivers or not. The tweeter was a hair reticent for me, but toe-in probably could be further adjusted. Sometimes prior Wilsons had a pretty narrow "locked" sweet spot - I think the Alexxs were larger in that regard and more coherent. What surprised me the most was that the Alexx's were pulling 100-125 watts from the amps often - these aren't particularly easy to drive speakers, so I wouldn't be looking at ARC Ref 75 or similar stuff....but dynamics were crisp on the Dags.

Wilson_Alexx.JPG

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Nice color. What's the black unit with the dial in between the speakers? Looks a like a subwoofer of some sort...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Having studied the photos of a lot of set ups of big Wilsons going all the way back to the original X1 (including Conrad Johnson's inhouse setup), i have to say that a lot of them show the X1s in corners (and those were rear facing). In fact, i think some Wilson people liked the original rear facing port more than the X2 front facing...the XLF's front/back setup is interesting as i have yet to see a set up which fired front. no doubt, they exist but in the last 10 setups i have seen (in person or in photos), i have not seen one yet that fired forward.

Here is a photo from Axpona. As you can see they are set up with front firing ports.

I copied this from Audioshark

Attachments

• WA AP.jpg
    WA AP.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 457

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks. That is literally the first i've seen. No doubt people do it, but i've not seen it til now.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Here is a photo from Axpona. As you can see they are set up with front firing ports.

I copied this from Audioshark

Actually these are the Alexx...not the XLF. So i guess i STILL have not seen the XLF set up with front firing ports open. ;) i am sure someone does...

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare them to Alexandria series 2?

I had a brief listen to them after listening to the Alexandria's powered by all Audio Research components. The problem was they were only 4 days out of the crates and just set into place at the audio store where auditioned. They were also on different gear. T+A which I have only heard one other time. From what I heard they were presenting a wonderful sound stage with lots of inner detail. Low end had not "bloomed yet". The bass is there but not on the same level as the Alexandria. I own Maxx 3's and honestly if I were to upgrade I would save for the Alexandria's and be done with "what's next" from Wilson. I had asked Daryl Wilson in a phone conversation when I was buying the Maxx 3 about the differences between the smaller models and the larger ones. He stated that if you desire the authority and slam and open dynamics, it is only obtainable from their big floor standers like the Alexandria, Maxx 3, and now Alexx, and soon the be released WAMM.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas

audiohippo

Jan 12, 2016
Australia
I am in love...

Heard it today with Nordost Odin 2 cables and Niagara electronics with Alexx

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Definetely not optimal positioning for those Wilson's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing