New Alexx?

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Woofer technology derived from the Alexia , which means probably (by the looks ) a aluminium coated membrane iirc , nah the focal audiom woofers are part of the big Wilsons " magic " , i think i would still prefer a Maxx 3 :) and keep the change the tweeter might be a bit more listenable /better .
Design wise i like the robotic /edgy structures of the maxx 3 , but this design also looks nice , fit and finish is awesome as always with wilson

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
$109k in retail ... wow. That makes an used pair of Maxx 3 even better value.

BTW - I would like to listen to the Alexxx side by side with the $58k Magico S7.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

3D-printed versions of the largest Wilson Audio floorstanders (from left to right), the Alexia, Alexx, MAXX 3 and Alexandria XLF.

Alexx specs from WA FB:

91 dB sensitivity
20-31k Freq Res
452 lbs per channel
4" shorter than Maxx 3 and 12" taller than Alexia

Attachments

• wilson_alexx_3.jpg
    wilson_alexx_3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,690

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
$109k in retail ... wow. That makes an used pair of Maxx 3 even better value.

BTW - I would like to listen to the Alexxx side by side with the $58k Magico S7.

+1 .... Super speaker the S7 !

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Did anybody see this on Wilson's site?

Nominal Impedance 4 ohms / minimum 1.5 ohms @ 2850 Hz

If this is true this is very bad . . . is there an amp in existence that can actually drive them?

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Steve, the link is broken.

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So this new speaker plus a pair of Thors is in the same price vicinity as the XLF? That makes for a very interesting comparison, no?

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
The Alexx is about 6 inches deeper than the Alexia. I was hoping for a depth footprint like the Maxx 3. Any thoughts as to the suitability of having this speaker closer to the wall behind it compared to the Alexia? I have limited depth in my living room. Height is not a problem.

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
The Alexx is about 6 inches deeper than the Alexia. I was hoping for a depth footprint like the Maxx 3. Any thoughts as to the suitability of having this speaker closer to the wall behind it compared to the Alexia? I have limited depth in my living room. Height is not a problem.

The Alexx has the ability to move the port to either the front or rear of the bass enclosure.
Which means you can put it closer to the back wall (if you must) and use the front port configuration.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Did anybody see this on Wilson's site?

Nominal Impedance 4 ohms / minimum 1.5 ohms @ 2850 Hz

If this is true this is very bad . . . is there an amp in existence that can actually drive them?

Just read the spacs. Looks like it is some sort of a 4-way (or a 2.5 way and a sub?) not a true MTM. One of the way you will cause a 1.5 Ohms at 2850Hz is if you running 2X4 ohm midranges right up to/with the tweeter...

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Technically it would be a 4 way design (if the seperate mids cover the same freq range ) consisting of a tw , mids , a 10 inch and a 13 inch iirc ( prev maxx 3) , both woofers covering the high bass / low bass respectively .
MTM configuration is a way of describing the mid and tweeterplacements ,in a joe dappolito mtm configuration the filter is also taken into account , as far a i know a mid -tw -mid placement whether horizontally or vertically is a MTM.
A standalone MMT (mid mid tw ) LS is called a 2,5 way

Its replacing the maxx 3 so i assume it uses somewhat the same woofer diam.

By the way the woofersmembranes arent made out of aluminium , but hard pulp , wilson likes natural sound :D
as from the site

Woofers

Sizes

10.5 inches (26.67 cm)
12.5 inches (31.75 cm)

Materials

Hard Paper Pulp

Reading further according to wilson this would make it a 5 way loudspeaker :

For the Alexx, Wilson’s engineering team has once again reimagined the MTM geometry. Drawn from technology developed in conjunction with the upcoming WAMM, the Alexx’s midrange is divided between two different drivers, each covering a portion of the mid-band area

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Had the opportunity to hear the new Alexx for the first time at the Definitive VIP event last night. The first thing that caught my eye was the appearance. It looks like a miniature XLF. They were paired with Dan D'Agostino's new monoblocs and Momentum Pre. Music source was from Roon and ?? going into the Merging NADAC. Peter McGrath was playing DJ.
Sonically, the first thing that jumped out at me was how much more body and weight that the instruments and singers had compared to the Alexias. I don't know how much of this is because of the new amps, but I am familiar with the source/pre/DAC and cables. Images were lifelike and to scale. I was sitting off to the right slightly for most of the demo, but when I sat in the sweet spot, nothing really changed, which gives me the impression that off-axis response is better.
Speakers were ported to the rear with the rear port open? Peter told me that gave the speaker the best listening response. I should would have loved to measure it. Speakers sitting that close to the wall with a rear port would tend to be boomy and not very smooth in the low end from my experience. The listening material again, was not familiar to me, so I would need an extended listening time before I plunked down $109k. Seems the XLF had gone up another $20k as well at $220k/pair.

IMG_1637.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing