New Alexx?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Fantastic! Are these as big as the XLF? Certainly the 3D model the guy was holding in the video looked just like an XLF with the front-facing port at the bottom, etc...

It looked to me like it was between the size of the Alexia and XLF.. like the Maxx

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
yes but since (dave ) wilson is a fan of natural sound it ll still be a papercomposite membrane i suspect

I think Dave Wilson and his family go to Vienna every year. Father and son listen to rehearsals and final performances and sit in the small rooms listening to solo pianos for hours on end taking notes. He pays a lot of attention to how real instruments sound and this is one of the premier venues in the world. They have access.

The membrane material choice is an interesting issue. Though paper composite membranes can sound excellent, some of the most natural sounding drivers that I have heard are not paper composites. I don't know much about speaker design, but I think a lot has to do with implementation, not just material choice.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Is it definitely a replacement for Maxx...hence the name Alexx? or is it that they are going to produce only Alexia and Alexx (so replaces BOTH XLF and Maxx)...with the new flagship being the WAMM?

Good question. I thought 4 is a bad number in Asia, so Maxx4 is out. I had read speculation that the new WAMM would be close to $1M and buyers would need company approval. If true, those requirements would put it beyond mere flagship territory.

The Q7II is referred to as Magico's flagship, so I don't know what people consider the Ultimate III to be.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I think Dave Wilson and his family go to Vienna every year. Father and son listen to rehearsals and final performances and sit in the small rooms listening to solo pianos for hours on end taking notes. He pays a lot of attention to how real instruments sound and this is one of the premier venues in the world. They have access.

The membrane material choice is an interesting issue. Though paper composite membranes can sound excellent, some of the most natural sounding drivers that I have heard are not paper composites. I don't know much about speaker design, but I think a lot has to do with implementation, not just material choice.

Which cone materials do you find sound the most natural? Dynaudio and Audio Technology have their poly cone compound dialled right in to achieve the most natural sound. Some of the harder coned more detailed drivers like Accuton and Seas Magnesium Coned Excel series require very natural sounding electronics driving them to sound natural. As they are not very forgiving.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That makes some sense...the question is are they going to discontinue the big X series and just have Alexia, Alexx and WAMM?
It looked to me like it was between the size of the Alexia and XLF.. like the Maxx

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Given what PeterA just said about WAMM being $1.0M...there remains a lot of room above $88K for the XLF to remain.
That makes some sense...the question is are they going to discontinue the big X series and just have Alexia, Alexx and WAMM?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Which cone materials do you find sound the most natural?

I don't think of natural in terms of degrees. It either sounds natural or it doesn't to me. I have heard a few systems with speakers that have different driver materials all sound natural. A lot of things have to be right for the entire system to sound this way, not just driver materials. It is rare. I don't have a lot of technical knowledge about this topic, so I think I will leave it at that.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
It is replacing the Maxx 3. I had a back and forth with Daryl Wilson on Facebook and he kindly explained the reasoning why the Alexx was being introduced. Now to bring you up to date, I spoke with him by phone last December when I was buying the Maxx 3's. At that time per Daryl, there was no new speaker designated to replace the Maxx 3. I specifically asked him that question before buying the Maxx 3. IIRC the new Alexx has a slightly smaller footprint than the Maxx 3. At least in the video. I hope I don't get in trouble, but I have been told the new flagship WAMM is delayed. They took that technology and effort and developed the Alexx. I should be upset, but not really bothered as I do love my Maxx 3 speakers. The new speaker is still being finalized and was told 2 months for first models and full distribution within 6 months. Bruce, can you wait that long? ;)

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The new speaker is still being finalized and was told 2 months for first models and full distribution within 6 months. Bruce, can you wait that long? ;)

I've already sold the Alexia's and the gentleman will pick them up in a month. I'll be "Speakerless in Seattle" for a couple of months. Might have to buy another pair of Maggies in the interim.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I've already sold the Alexia's and the gentleman will pick them up in a month. I'll be "Speakerless in Seattle" for a couple of months. Might have to buy another pair of Maggies in the interim.

Bruce, were you contemplating getting the Maxx3 and then learned that the Alexx is being released? Without having heard them, what prompted you to upgrade from the Alexia?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Have you ever considered upgrading from caveman passive speakers to fully active?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

You should get a pair of Sabrina's while you wait. I had the pleasure of listening to a system using the new Audio Research REF150Se, REF10 and CD9, all Transparent Audio GenV signal and power cables and I was very, very impressed with the overall result. Withing their bass scale and dynamic range, they had the effortless and coherency of a good electrostatic.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Have you ever considered upgrading from caveman passive speakers to fully active?

I already have active speakers.... Focal Twin6/Solo6/Sub6 in a 5.1 config. Also see my review of the PTE Phoenix on Stereomojo.

Bruce, were you contemplating getting the Maxx3 and then learned that the Alexx is being released? Without having heard them, what prompted you to upgrade from the Alexia?

I only sold the Alexia after I found out the Alexx were in the pipeline. The only fault I found in the Alexia was images were not quite tall enough when they had to fire over the console in front of me.

You should get a pair of Sabrina's while you wait. I had the pleasure of listening to a system using the new Audio Research REF150Se, REF10 and CD9, all Transparent Audio GenV signal and power cables and I was very, very impressed with the overall result.

I'll probably just get a second set of Maggies to hold me over!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I already have active speakers.... Focal Twin6/Solo6/Sub6 in a 5.1 config. Also see my review of the PTE Phoenix on Stereomojo.

I only sold the Alexia after I found out the Alexx were in the pipeline. The only fault I found in the Alexia was images were not quite tall enough when they had to fire over the console in front of me.

Those Focals (which I also own) are incredible imo. They are one of the best speakers I've ever owned.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Oops. Wrong thread.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing