New Alexx?

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
The MAXX 3 replacement.

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
What is new? Looks near the same. New edition should be much better, much more innovative. I'm afraid that there is nothing new.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
What is new? Looks near the same. New edition should be much better, much more innovative. I'm afraid that there is nothing new.

Please tell me how you determined that from the video? So there are no new drivers, no change to the crossovers, uses the same material as the Maxx 3, just some tweaking to the shape?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Ah groundbraking ...???
They are just flapping membranes in a solidconstruction , for something groundbraking we need to leave this technology for something new , but what it is i dont know , maybe a todays copy of ddk s system i suspect a improved looking design with a tighter fr, just some small improvements, including a soft dome tweeter

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ah groundbraking ...???
They are just flapping membranes in a solidconstruction , for something groundbraking we need to leave this technology for something new , but what it is i dont know , maybe a todays copy of ddk s system i suspect a improved looking design with a tighter fr, just some small improvements

Those midrange drivers look different

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
yes but since (dave ) wilson is a fan of natural sound it ll still be a papercomposite membrane i suspect , there is only so much you can do to improve a passive speakerdesign ,plus a new more natural tw serial cap something like that,
Or a smaller MTM mid which can be crossed a bit higher , or the opposite bigger which can be crossed a little lower

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
yes but since (dave ) wilson is a fan of natural sound it ll still be a papercomposite membrane i suspect , there is only so much you can do to improve a passive speakerdesign ,plus a new more natural tw serial cap something like that,
Or a smaller MTM mid which can be crossed a bit higher , or the opposite bigger which can be crossed a little lower

they look similar to the nano fibre Magico mid range drivers

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
Please tell me how you determined that from the video? So there are no new drivers, no change to the crossovers, uses the same material as the Maxx 3, just some tweaking to the shape?

I'm not sure but i'm afraid... :) Sasha vs Sasha 2 that's near the same. New edition should give us much more. Focal Grande Utopia III is much better than Grande Utopia II in many points. Avalon Tesseract is much better than Sentinel. We will see how it be with Wilson.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Is it definitely a replacement for Maxx...hence the name Alexx? or is it that they are going to produce only Alexia and Alexx (so replaces BOTH XLF and Maxx)...with the new flagship being the WAMM?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Is it definitely a replacement for Maxx...hence the name Alexx? or is it that they are going to produce only Alexia and Alexx (so replaces BOTH XLF and Maxx)...with the new flagship being the WAMM?

From their FB page:

"Wilson Audio This is a product which has benefited from the innovations in both the Alexia and XLF. More importantly, it's being developed side-by-side with the WAMM project and shares a special kinship with her. Additional info will be published in early December."

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
From their FB page:

"Wilson Audio This is a product which has benefited from the innovations in both the Alexia and XLF. More importantly, it's being developed side-by-side with the WAMM project and shares a special kinship with her. Additional info will be published in early December."

thanks...yes that is more akin to the impression i got from the video.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

How dare you say natural and twice at that !!! ;)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've already contacted Wilson and said that I want a pair of these. My Alexia's have been spoken for already!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic! Are these as big as the XLF? Certainly the 3D model the guy was holding in the video looked just like an XLF with the front-facing port at the bottom, etc...

I've already contacted Wilson and said that I want a pair of these. My Alexia's have been spoken for already!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing