Noise filter for PC

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Can anyone recommend a ac line conditioner just for my PC computer server. I would like to reduce the effects of all the switching power supplies noise in the computer. It could be a one plug filter, but I want a good one.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
For a PC server I've successfully used a small BPT isolation transformer, an older PS Audio regenerator (the small 300w unit for one server, and 600w for a different more power hungry server), and a Sound Application Reference (forget which model) unit. All worked very well. Any of the three could be hung off a Shunyata as well.

I currently use a Sound Application unit that's plugged into my Triton/Hydra stack. I find the extra layer of filtration provided by the Sound Application device sounds better than going through the Shunyata alone -- although I'm not sure if that's because it prevents server noise from traveling to my other components, or, because it makes the server sound better.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
A SurgeX brand UPS would be the best choice imo.

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Can anyone recommend a ac line conditioner just for my PC computer server. I would like to reduce the effects of all the switching power supplies noise in the computer. It could be a one plug filter, but I want a good one.

Jeffy,

What is the power draw of your server? Is its switching power supply 350 watts or less?
The reason I ask, is that the power draw is a large determinant of how much and the nature of the power filtering that can be effectively implemented. The second question is would you be comfortable with a straightforward DIY project, given that its dealing with potentially lethal mains voltages?

-Paul

EDIT: I've no experience with this, but Baetis Audio requires the purchase of the CyberPower CP850PFCLCD UPS/conditioner ($130 @ B&H) to power their servers.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=136711.msg1453997#msg1453997
http://www.baetisaudio.com/powersupplies.php
FWIW

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Well of you really want to keep your gear from powerline grunge you could pick up one of the ~$28k Stromtank S5000 units I saw at RMAF.

Here is the CA write-up. It sure caught my eye, its a beauty.

The Stromtank model S 5000 is an independent power source for audio equipment. It's a battery power source created by the founder of Mbl Wolfgang Meletzky. The S 5000 has a 5000 Wh capacity with 4000 W peak performance. The unit weighs 253.5 lbs and is full of LiFePo4 batteries. There are many neat things about this battery supply, including the fact that it could run the show system (Audio Alchemy components) for nearly two days before requiring a recharge. Once the unit needs recharging it can automatically reconnect to the grid, and still allow playback of the audio components without a glitch. This is really a cool unit. I believe the MSRP will be around $28,000.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Boy, that is an awfully small box to weigh 250 pounds! I checked the brochure and it indeed says that.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
And how much for new batteries when they wear out? Li batteries don't have a super-long service life ime but maybe they have figure out how to improve it past a few years... It would be cool if Vinni Rossi would make something like this using supercapacitors.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's not the only worry. The main one would be safety. If there is one box I want to see 10 safety stickers on the back of, this would be it. Lithium batteries can literally explode of driven too hard. Let's hope they had someone design this what does this for a living like for cars and such.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I have no idea who was on the team who designed the S 5000. As you can see the name on top is Meletsky the M in MBL, Wolfgang Meletsky. He definitely knows about designing amps and speakers, not so sure about battery usage.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
I would recommend a linear power supply for your PC. I got the best results by removing all fans (they generate a lot of noise electrically as well) making the pc passively cooled, and by using battery packs for the OS disc.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Paul power supply is 500 WATTS thanks Jeff
Jeffy,

What is the power draw of your server? Is its switching power supply 350 watts or less?
The reason I ask, is that the power draw is a large determinant of how much and the nature of the power filtering that can be effectively implemented. The second question is would you be comfortable with a straightforward DIY project, given that its dealing with potentially lethal mains voltages?

-Paul

EDIT: I've no experience with this, but Baetis Audio requires the purchase of the CyberPower CP850PFCLCD UPS/conditioner ($130 @ B&H) to power their servers.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=136711.msg1453997#msg1453997
http://www.baetisaudio.com/powersupplies.php
FWIW

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
For audio computerdom you should just be in the extremely low wattage range.

Check out the Kangaroo from Newegg for $99:

Intel X8500 Quad Core processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, Windows 10 and has a built in battery good for ~ 4 hours.

Feed it with a 5 volt regulated USB power supply (about $20 in parts).

Get a low power NAS from any of the regulars (Netgear, QNAP, Synology, Dlink, WD, Zyxel etc...).

Use wireless on the last leg going to a dedicated AP with it's own SSID and on it's own channel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Agreed with just using a low power media server to begin with. I certainly wouldn't spend Shunyata money on anything connecting to a media server, that's for certain.

You can buy a Beagle Bone Black for less than a meal at Capital Grille and power it with a whole host of 5v Linear options that would be the same price as desert for two at the same establishment :)

Or just install a dedicated line for the current computer. This would be cheaper than all of the above

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing