Digital Upgrade: Is Full Frame Worth it for Our Use?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I'd be shocked if you weren't really happy w/the 7200. Enjoy if/when you get.

As a side note, recently got the D850 (FF) to replace my D800 which will go up on ebay. It's signficantly bigger/heavier than my Fuji XT-2 (APS-C) so not right for many situations, but the image quality is astonishing. I'm blown away by the dynamic range and clean, resolved rendering in highlights and shadows at high ISOs. There's still a lot of performance gains possible in sensors/image processing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd, I think you are taking the right strategy investing in lenses though I would say that as I still run a D7000 several years on, mostly with the Nikkor 35mm prime lens. You may wish to consider the new D7500 as this uses some of the D500 internals within the smaller D7200 form factor, review below.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7500.htm

Thanks! Good reading indeed. I think for us, the D7200 2nd hand is more than good enough. We managed to pick up the lens and the 1.4x teleconverter. Extremely excited. Have put ourselves on the list for the next second hand D7200 they have that comes in. Since they are the distributor for Nikon, everything is covered by 18 month warranty.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'd be shocked if you weren't really happy w/the 7200. Enjoy if/when you get.

As a side note, recently got the D850 (FF) to replace my D800 which will go up on ebay. It's signficantly bigger/heavier than my Fuji XT-2 (APS-C) so not right for many situations, but the image quality is astonishing. I'm blown away by the dynamic range and clean, resolved rendering in highlights and shadows at high ISOs. There's still a lot of performance gains possible in sensors/image processing.

Thanks Bob. You've been kind enough to provide us with some solid guidance and great resources to read and learn as well. As for your 850...i have read amazing things about that one. Sounds like they got a homerun in that camera! 45megapixels, i believe among all the other great attributes. Enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing